VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Techie-Help...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristin Lennox wrote:
So, if I have an external hard drive, is there a reason to switch to an SSD?

They are silent and super-quick....
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With no moving parts I'm guessing they also are less likely to crash or be damaged by moderate blunt force trauma (panel of experts please chime in)?

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, with no moving parts they last longer, run silent, run cooler (less heat), and use far less battery power (if you are on a laptop).

Going from a 7200 RPM internal hard drive to a SSD was like getting a brand new computer.

It took me all of about 10 minutes to swap the internal hard drive out of my Macbook Pro. 10 screw underneath, two holding a bracket around the drive, and four screws on the corners of the drive.

For $119 it was probably the single best upgrade I could have ever done to extend the life of my computer for a few more years. With RAM being as cheap as it is, I might go ahead and upgrade to 16 gigs in the next week or two. Being able to have Logic Pro X, Twisted Wave, and Final Cut Pro all running at once while bouncing a sound file takes a lot of RAM...
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSD is fantastic.

Super speed and NO noise.

BUT...I recommend frequent backups.

When SSD goes bad...there is no "trying to recover" the data like might be done on more traditional hard drives. When it is dead...it is REALLY dead.

Just so you know....
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSD has a finite number of read/write cycles. there is not yet a firm grasp on what that number is - but it is roundly agreed that it is so.

vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technology changes so very rapidly. In this thread several claims have been made about the longevity of SSD drives.

Not too many months ago, I was reading "conventional wisdom" which pointed out that though SSDs do not have MECHANICAL FAILURE, they do have a limited number of times that a given memory cell can be over-written. In one sense it seemed like a really big number, but the advice then given was that it is great to put PROGRAMS onto the SSD, but scratch files, working buffer space where constant rewrites take place should be on conventional mechanical drives. At the time I looked at the numbers and said: "Self... just plan on buying a new SSD every 4 to 6 years, clone the old one over, pitch the old one, and move forward.

So, what are the rest of you hearing and reading today about the LONG TERM ability of SSD the rewrite over and over and over again.... which many of our DAW programs are going to do as we record and edit and save and record and edit and buffer and whatever other kinky things happen on the SSD when a DAW is calling the shots?
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very soon all consumer electronics will have SSD.

Smart phones, for example use solid state drives. Look how long you are able to use an iPhone, for example.

If you have an Mac the Timemachine backup thing is pretty swell. It creates a disk image of everything on your computer and updates it on an hourly basis. I have mine stored on a 4 terabyte hard drive that's attached to my wifi router.

I don't even have to think about backups, they just happen.

Any important files, I move over to the huge 4 terabyte drive manually as extra insurance.

If you are REALLY paranoid, you can get a pro-grade NAS (network attached storage) with several conventional hard drives setup in a RAID configuration. They duplicate the data between the drives so that if one drive fails, you still haven't lost anything, . . It's what large companies and data centers do.

You can get yourself setup with something like a Synology diskstation for under $500 that'll also stream all your content to your smart TV and also be available outside of your house. You can use it as your own personal FTP server or personal "DropBox". You can host/share files with clients there, or have clients send you material directly to your network hard drives.
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vkuehn wrote:
Technology changes so very rapidly. In this thread several claims have been made about the longevity of SSD drives.

Not too many months ago, I was reading "conventional wisdom" which pointed out that though SSDs do not have MECHANICAL FAILURE, they do have a limited number of times that a given memory cell can be over-written. In one sense it seemed like a really big number, but the advice then given was that it is great to put PROGRAMS onto the SSD, but scratch files, working buffer space where constant rewrites take place should be on conventional mechanical drives. At the time I looked at the numbers and said: "Self... just plan on buying a new SSD every 4 to 6 years, clone the old one over, pitch the old one, and move forward.

Heard the same woes, but then the other side countered with a very good argument: "It is the same thing as with mechanical disks. You will have to replace them, eventually, but the attrition of an SSD is nothing that will realistically become an issue."

Here's a PC World article from 2014 that should allay any fears you have. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2856052/grueling-endurance-test-blows-away-ssd-durability-fears.html

Just to put things in perspective: 750TB of data write is absolutely bonkers, especially since the SSDs in question didn't have stellar quality or any fancy features.

A petabyte is 1000 terabytes, so go figure on that number.

PS: As always, keep backups of your important data.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm moving entire raw audiobook chapters in WAV format between machines, I don't want to have to wait all day for gigs of data to move. SSD solve that with up to 500 mb/sec transfer speeds through USB 3.0 or Thudnerbolt. The internal SATA connections are just as fast or faster.

My macbook pro from hitting the power button until I enter my password takes less than 15 seconds now -- it boots up that fast. Insane. My hard drive was holding my entire computer back for years.

It's a good/bad thing. Forward development into more powerful consumer computers will begin to stagnate as who needs more power? Things are fast enough and powerful enough. Unless you render CGI or play heavy-duty video games, and $400 PC will do everything a person needs it to do fine. A 1.2 ghz dual core processor is fine. 4 gigs of RAM is fine.

SSD's aren't really all that "new". Jump drives and SD cards are solid state. Think of a SSD as a HUGE compact flash card or micoSD card.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: