VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MKE 600 for travel
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
voiceoverben

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: MKE 600 for travel Reply with quote

Hi. Going on holiday soon and would like to take an affordable mic with me for emergencies! Max budget is $300. Hotel room is never going to be ideal, so looking at shotgun to reject some of the ambient noise. A friend recommends the Rode NTG 2 but I hear good things about the Sennheiser MKE 600, but I can't find any reviews specifically for VO. Any of you have any experience with this mic? Or should I be looking at something completely different for a travel setup? I already have a focusrite Scarlett solo which fits nicely in my MacBook case.

Thankyou.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Ben!

Lots of fans here of the audio technica at875 R, and it's only half of your budget.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/495302-REG/Audio_Technica_AT875R_AT875_Short_Condenser_Shotgun.html

Best of luck in your search. I hate that I don't have any valid excuses to buy more gear. Wink
voiceoverben

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks so much for your reply. Great recommendation, will check it out Smile
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how the Audio Technica stands up to the Rode NTG-3? From what I've heard/read you can easily make the NTG-3 sound like an MKH-416 with some filtering.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure! I know a couple BB'ers here (Bish, Clutter Ash, Paul Stefano) have one, and may be willing to give you more insider experience.

Here's a video that talks about all 3 of the aforementioned shotguns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ31D-ZBQg4
voiceoverben

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks so much for your reply. Great recommendation, will check it out Smile
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the AT875r. Can't compare it to a 416 or NTG 3, because I've never tried one, but I have tried the NTG 2 and the 875 blows it away in my opinion. The NTG 2 sounded thin to me, and having such a deep voice, I needed that lower frequency response.

One thing about the 875r is it does have a little bit of self noise. Not a huge deal, but something to be aware of.

Also, it's not the best at rear rejection. I have issues with highway rumble and the 875r still picks it up from behind. I use it in the exact same space at an RE320, a dynamic, and the 875r picks up much more of the rearside noise than the dynamic. Maybe a longer shotgun like the 416 or the NTG family would be better suited if rejection is your primary concern.
voiceoverben

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul. If I had the cash, I'd definitely go for the 416 but as I'm limited to $300, it will have to go on my wish list for now. Because I'll have little control over the sound in hotel room, noise rejection is high on the priority list, so perhaps the ntg2 or the original idea of the mke 600 would be better suited.

Aggghhh....Why are these decisions never easy?! Smile
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can definitely find an NTG 2 for less than $300. On the other hand, I got my 875r for $100 Gasp Maybe worth the gamble for that price
Bill Campbell
DC

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samson C03U. USB mic that sounds really good. I've owned most of the usual suspects, I use a 416 in the studio, and this C03U mic is surprisingly good. No vices. No need for preamp/converter, it's built in.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the AT 875R and the Shure MVi as my travel rig and I'm very happy with it. I mainly use the 416 in the studio, but was reluctant to cart it around as a travel mic. I'd heard some good things and bought the 875 from someone here (who said it didn't quite suit their voice). I certainly think it punches above its weight.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you can find a Sennheiser MKH415T with a transformer on ebay for around $300. I bought mine from Germany some years back and it's been a great performer on the road.
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise. 415t. Got mine 2nd hand from an indy film producer.
voiceoverben

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all.....great recommendations but decision is now even harder!
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find travel recording increasingly stressful.. I've got an Shure Mvi interface / AT 875r combo, and it works just fine into an iPhone 6, but I since I don't work normally in the studio with the AT 875r, I had to work like the dickens to match pickups recorded on the road, to my home studio originals recorded with the 416…

So now I'm back to traveling a little less compact, with the 416 and the micport and macbook air…

I think if all you plan on doing is just quickie road auditions and maybe tags or short spots, the 875r into the phone is not a problem… the setup, while ultra portable, just seems clunky.. when I have a longer script to record and no access to a printer, I'm stuck with fiddling back and forth with two different apps on the iPhone, one for recording and one for script reading..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: