VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UAD Apollo/Mac headache.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: UAD Apollo/Mac headache..... Reply with quote

Anyone using a UAD Apollo with a Mac? I'm struggling to get audio to Skype or Source Connect from Console 2.0. Playback from Skype etc is fine; configured that using the audio/midi utility in Mavericks. This one has got me scratching my head. I've had a go with Soundflower but I'm not confident that I've set it up correctly and the help is not great. Be grateful for any insights...
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked into Audio Hijack?

http://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/

It's an audio routing software for Mac. Alternatively, there's Jack Audio:

http://jackaudio.org/

Both are pretty neat ways to route audio around the Mac that may be more flexible than Soundflower.
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. I may have a solution now that UAD sent me - will try it tomorrow - but I'll certainly have a look at the apps you mention too.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it!

Soundflower is an goodie but oldie. Some of the newer software routing solutions are a bit more intuitive and easier to setup.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please share with the class, Dayo, if their solution works. Traditionally they are of little use when it comes to Skype at UA.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works! I'm pasting the fix from UAD below and hats off to the brilliant Olivier there for coming up with it. FYI I'm using an Apollo Quad 8 on an I-Mac. Here goes.....

I can think of one possible way to get around this however, although it's a bit involved. You can exploit the fact that these applications take audio from the first driver input of the Apollo when the Apollo is selected by modifying your inputs on the Core Audio tab of Console Settings. This way you could set the first input of the Twin (i.e. the input that these apps will use) to something like an Aux bus of the Console application, and then send your mic input to the Aux bus.

The first step would be to set the first input of your Apollo to the 'AUX1 L' input via the Core Audio tab of Console Settings. (It works also with the Virtual channels)

This will make it so these applications will take audio from the Aux 1 L input - now we just need to get your input signals into the Aux channel.

To do this, turn the Aux 1 send all the way up for both the Analog 1 and Analog 2 channels in the Console application. Pan the send for each channel all the way left.

This will cause the input signals from both input channels to be sent to the left side of the Aux 1 channel, which should then be fed into your video chat app as long as the Apollo is selected as the audio device in that app. You may need to mute the Aux 1 channel in the Console to avoid a doubled signal, but muting the Aux channel will not stop the audio from getting into the other app.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a pretty brilliant work-around! Seems that would also allow the playback of a DAW to be routed to the same Aux 1 buss to appear in Skype.

Now, how do you get the output of your DAW to be Virtual 1/2 and Skype to show up on Virtual 3/4 Faders? I was just trying set that up for a client this morning and I couldn't find the setting in Audio Midi Setup that allowed me to set "Speakers" Output to Ch 19/20 with correspond with Virtual 1/2.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a good PC equivalent to audiohijack or jackaudio?

One of them seems to have a PC version available but the way it's presented on the website makes me think it's kind of an afterthought.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George

You have to note the channel numbers in the audio/midi app that correspond to the visual channels then hit the button labelled "configure speakers" and select them in there.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayo and George,

May be off base here, but I record Skype with my Apollo Twin via Audition. I record my mic input via Input 1 (apparently the only input Skype recognizes) on one track, then record the whole conversation on another track using MON L (which I record in mono). My problem is different: when I'm using Skype in this way, it's so loud in my cans that I have to turn down my headphone output (which I control via a headphone amp connected to the Apollo's headphone output jack) to the point that it's rather difficult to hear myself. It sucks that Skype does not provide an output control of its own, since the only level it sends out is "ear splittingly loud." I think I could put a mixer in the chain and control the cans level, but that seems like an inelegant and expensive solution. If you have any thoughts, I'm all ears--even if said ears are growing hard of hearing thanks to Skype's inability to control sound.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gang,

I was considering getting a UA Apollo but this thread has me thinking instead of going with the Audient. Other than this workaround, how do you like the Apollo? Do you have to have Thunderbolt or can it be adapted to work with USB? Thanks.
RJ McNicol
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Lee:

On the PC. Yes, a fine piece of software called voicemeeter banana. Strange name, and spelled right but it has 3 hardware and 3 virtual inputs and buss style outputs and routing like no tomorrow. You can have skype plus google voice at the same time and send channels independently to daw, phone or whatever. Sure it's overkill but it's pretty neat. Also you can record an entire session in the virtual cassette recorder. Been using it for over a year and the latest version is rock solid. Not related to the software but a happy end user.
http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

Your mileage may vary. Cheers.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Elwood,

Apollo released a USB version last year, but so far I could only find one for their DUO version, which is a few hundred dollars more. I just found out also that it is not cross-platform, so you would not be able to use it on two machines if you use a PC at home and a Mac laptop, for example.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ApolloTDusb
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sean , good info
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackedvo wrote:
Dayo and George,

I'm all ears--even if said ears are growing hard of hearing thanks to Skype's inability to control sound.

Are you Windows or Mac? Maybe there's a global volume know for the output of the whole system?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: