VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would I Just Be Wasting $27
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely not muffled. It's just slightly hollow (echo-ey) sounding. I'd like to do everything I can to treat the space, rather than resorting to processing. When the booth was first built and had noting inside but sheetrock walls and ceiling, and an MDF floor, adding bass traps made a huge difference right away in dramatically reducing the cave-like sound. So I figured something like that could help mitigate a similar, although far less severe, issue.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well shoot...

Have you tried a variety of materials like blankets and rugs for the walls?

Do you have bass traps in the bottom corners of the booth? That might be an overlooked area where reverberations might be coalescing. Bass traps aren't also just for top/bottom corners, they can be run all the way the corner, stacked on top of one another.

Just tryin' to brainstorm some ideas here... cool
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a coffee geek (hold on, the connection is coming). I have collected over the years a small number of burlap coffee sacks, partly because some of the green coffee I buy comes in them (the smaller ones) and partly because I like them. I have three in my studio space (one large, two small). I've stuffed them tight with off-cuts and odd pieces of foam I've accumulated over the years and placed them "strategically". The big one sits out in the main space pretending to be a bass trap, while the two small ones are in the recording "cubby". I'm a firm believer in "every little helps" and while I have no empirical data or comparative recordings to prove the point... I'm sure they make a small difference.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word. OC 703. Ok, it’s not really a word, but when I was working in a small, confined space (walk-in closet) I completely lined the walls with it. There was carpet on the floor and that shoot on crap from the 70’s on the ceiling. I got no hollowness, no nothing. Flat as a piece of paper.

If you’re getting hollowness, you have reflections. To get rid of reflections you need absorption. For absorption, one word… OC 703. It’s made for broadband absorption. I love it. I’m trying to figure out how to make clothes out of it for remote work. Not really, but if you had pants made from it, sat in a squatting position and talked into your crotch… well, it’s still a work in progress.

OC 703. For VO, IMO, it’s good for what ails ya.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
I have collected over the years a small number of burlap coffee sacks, partly because some of the green coffee I buy comes in them (the smaller ones) and partly because I like them. I have three in my studio space (one large, two small). I've stuffed them tight with off-cuts and odd pieces of foam I've accumulated over the years and placed them "strategically".

Hey Bish... Like this?

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that absorption is probably what I want. That's what prompted the original search for the mini bass traps.

You may recall that my space is just 39" x 42" x 7'. There is only so much room to add absorbent things and still leave space for me (as it is, there is enough room for a chair or for me, but not enough room for the chair AND for me). I have two large bass traps stacked on top of each other in each of the two rear corners. On the opposite wall, which effectively has no corners because it's full width is taken up by the door, I recently replaced a quilt that consisted of Roxul Safe 'N Sound sandwiched between two furniture blankets with two custom ATS panels made from OC 703 wrapped in burlap.

If Dan Lenard still sold his Studio Suit, I would buy a 3' wide panel of it and hang it where the quilt used to be (and hope I could still close the door because that would sit between the door and the ATS panels).

Right now, I'm leaning towards another small ATS panel (OC 703 & burlap) to hang at an angle above my monitors as a ceiling cloud.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
You may recall that my space is just 39" x 42" x 7'. There is only so much room to add absorbent things and still leave space for me (as it is, there is enough room for a chair or for me, but not enough room for the chair AND for me). (OC 703 & burlap) to hang at an angle above my monitors as a ceiling cloud.

So it's you, with no chair, standing. And you don't have enough room to add.

What about removing some of the stuff that's not effective (blankets) and replace it with the 703, which IS effective? Hence, you end up with the same amount of room with a much more effective space.

Sometimes better to go backwards, and then go forwards again differently with what you learned from the first go round.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. The fiberglass squares are where it's at. In larger rooms you can build frames and cover them with attractive fabric, hang them as acoustic wall art.

I was going to see about having famous paintings printed on fabric, and stretching them over framed insulation.

Might as well look good while you make it sound good Wink

As Hans & Franz used to say, "Iz more important to look good dan to feel good! Yaw!"
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Riley wrote:

What about removing some of the stuff that's not effective (blankets) and replace it with the 703, which IS effective? Hence, you end up with the same amount of room with a much more effective space.

You'll note, in paragraph 2 of my previous post, I mentioned that I had replaced the blanket with a couple of custom panels made from 703. But regardless of which of those things I have in the booth, there would be no room for a chair unless I removed the piece of furniture (only 16" deep) that all my equipment sits on. So it has to stay.

The panel I'm considering as a ceiling cloud is also made of 703, so I think it will be the next thing to try.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
... regardless of which of those things I have in the booth, there would be no room for a chair unless I removed the piece of furniture (only 16" deep) that all my equipment sits on. So it has to stay.

You don't need a chair unless you're doing long form narration, which I don't think you do. IMO, you get your best performance while standing. You might need a cane or a walker to get in there (I'm at least as old as you, so don't get testy) but no chair.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done one audiobook in the booth, but it was a relatively short book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: