VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAD E100S--QC issues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: CAD E100S--QC issues Reply with quote

Well, as has happened so many times, I was online shopping after a couple of beers and pulled the trigger on a CAD E100S. Having experienced it before, I still love the sound of it. BUT....shortly after plugging it in, I started getting this strange washing background noise...definitely not normal or acceptable. It comes and goes. I guess CAD is still having QC issues. Damn shame. Other than that I love how it sounds.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've read a number descriptions of misbehavior of the CAD series, but one doing the laundry here on a Wednesday rises to a whole new level!
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes something sounds like it's been put through the wringer cool
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh good, a pun thread. Perhaps it's time to wash your hands of the CAD?

Seriously, though, it's a shame this keeps happening to owners. The E100 was on my early radar of mics I wanted, but after all the horror stories, I don't even want to try.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a good one, it's a gem. If you get a bad one, its a lemon.

I've wasted hours of my time trying to diagnose the buzzing sound with my CAD. Poured money into contact cleaner, cables, ground loop isolatesr and special power strips.

In the end, it seems to be inside the mic itself. Static builds up around the grill and won't discharge unless I grip the entire top of the mic inside my palm, grounding the microphone. That only works for a time until the static begins to build back up on the mic grill all over.

Static also seems to build up on the XLR pins as well. Some of that "DeOxit" contact cleaner/conditioner fixed that issue -- but the mic grill is the largest source of static build up.

In the meantime, there is some slight audio artifacts showing through due to the poor internal grounding (I suspect).

I don't have the tools or the inclination to rip the CAD open and beef up the internal grounding. I think that would fix the issue. I think if someone had the tools and time, they could do a fix for less than $20 in solder flux and materials.

I'm considering rubbing the metal grill with an dryer sheet to see if that might keep static from building up on the metal grill. Who knows?

Either way, it's to much of a pain to deal with and waste time with. I need a mic that works and works consistently. It's a sad state of affairs that the CAD e100s is so unreliable. They have a good mic that just needs some better quality control in the factory.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here is a sound sample, compared to my U87ai. See if you can hear what I am hearing....

CAD E100S sample
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's terrible. It's completely unacceptable what they are getting away with. I need to delete all my old blog posts praising the CAD E100s!

I had an excellent one - well, for three years. Then it started getting noisy and overall not sounding great. Changed it for the redesigned (since 2014) Rode NT1 which I prefer in sound, plus it has a lower working self-noise. The CAD is 3.7 dBA, while the NT1 is 4.5 dBA...but the NT1 has a much hotter output, so you don't have to crank the gain.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the kicker....I bought it new from a pretty prominent gear seller....when I sent them that file, they assured me that {paraphrasing} "that's just how the CAD sounds and there's nothing wrong with it"---which I know not to be true since I had a CAD (which I sold--hey I am a gearslut) about four years ago. But they will let me return it. Which I definitely will.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Elwood, you sold me. I am never getting that mic. I'll admit, even after my CAD/Massdrop debacle, I'd still browse the usual places for it, but no more.

I DID pick up the Blue Mouse after our little chat, however...
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean, did you listen to the audio sample?
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mic is supposed to sound like that, lol!
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Elwood,

Finally had a chance to listen. Very similar to what I experienced, although mine was much more prominent. It still sounded like you had an air conditioner or fan going in the background, and there were a few sizzles of electricity at the ends of phrases. Very strange indeed. Glad you could get a return/refund.

Warmest Regards,

Sean
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not nearly as bad as what mine sounds like...

Lips Are Sealed
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are scaring me. I've been happily using mine (bought used) for the past couple of years, and am now worried that one fine day it is suddenly going to start doing something noisy and unpleasant.

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you've got anything to worry about. I've had mine a while as well, and it performs just fine. I think they really had a problem when the relatively small company was hit with a wave of suddenly becoming "flavor of the month" a couple of years ago when the VO community seemed to discover the mic. To meet demand, they probably ramped-up production and cut some corners on QC in an effort to get them out of the door quickly. Success has its own pitfalls I guess! Not a good situation by any means, but if you were in on the early wave (or a used model from before any wave), then I'd be confident that you've got a good one. If you ever want to sell it, just advertise it as a "pre-surge" model Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: