VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for the source of distortion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeatherMasters
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Looking for the source of distortion Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
So I recently upgraded my studio and moved my mic from a sitting to a standing position. Ever since this, I find that when I normalize I end up with distortion here and there. I'm not clipping, and sometimes the waveforms where the distortion happens are smaller, so I don't think it's a volume thing. Before I normalize, everything sounds great. I haven't changed anything as far as equipment or editing chain. Its not a huge deal when I record short projects as I can use RX declipper to take care of it, but I'm about to record an audiobook, and I do NOT want to have to deal with an entire audiobook full of hit and miss distortion. Any ideas what could be causing this?

www.heathermastersvo.com
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if it's a buffer thing with the program your recording into?

I know with Twisted Wave or Logic there's a latency buffer. If the buffer is to small, it can cause crackles, pops, distortions and other nasties.

Also, check all the places along the signal where there's a volume adjustment. There might be a volume turned down someplace along the signal, causing you to turn the volume up someplace else. I know with audio in general that can sometimes cause weird, intermittent distortions.
SteveToner
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Heather,

Any way you can post audio samples (pre- and post-normalization)? It's hard to diagnose a problem like this just from a description such as you've given...
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can...try uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin. It may be corrupted.
HeatherMasters
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it! Somehow the mic on the Audient mixer had gotten turned up. I don't usually interact with that mixer, as I'm kind of a "set it and forget it" kind of girl, so the mixer is usually minimized and I don't think of it.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm breathing a sigh of relief thanks to you. Smile

www.heathermastersvo.com
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeatherMasters wrote:
...I'm kind of a "set it and forget it" kind of girl...

That only works on late night infomercials.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeatherMasters wrote:
I'm kind of a "set it and forget it" kind of girl

More of a "set it, then mess with it every few days until everything's a mess but damn it's fun so long as I've saved prior settings, then set it" kinda guy myself.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackedvo wrote:
HeatherMasters wrote:
I'm kind of a "set it and forget it" kind of girl

More of a "set it, then mess with it every few days until everything's a mess but damn it's fun so long as I've saved prior settings, then set it" kinda guy myself.

At first I was annoyed with the stepped gain knob on my preamp, but I've come to really love the fact that it clicks instead of smoothly turns. It's so much easier to remember "the click right after 45".
HeatherMasters
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind messing with my physical equipment, but the Audient comes with a computer application mixer that is just way to complicated for me so I try not to mess with it, but rather just use the settings on the actual interface. So when I'm going over my audio chain, I always forget about the mixer on my computer.

Quote:
At first I was annoyed with the stepped gain knob on my preamp, but I've come to really love the fact that it clicks instead of smoothly turns. It's so much easier to remember "the click right after 45".

That is definitely one thing I wish the ID22 had. Those clicks would be awesome!

www.heathermastersvo.com
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeatherMasters wrote:
I don't mind messing with my physical equipment, but the Audient comes with a computer application mixer that is just way to complicated for me so I try not to mess with it, but rather just use the settings on the actual interface. So when I'm going over my audio chain, I always forget about the mixer on my computer.

Quote:

That is definitely one thing I wish the ID22 had. Those clicks would be awesome!

The software for the Audient *IS* overwhelming, I totally and 100% agree. For what we do, I'd venture to say 80% of the features don't apply.

Also, it might depend on what program you use to record with, but I don't need to open the Audient software at all to record. The program used to open up automatically, but it hasn't in a long time. Not really sure what's up with that...but Twisted Wave seems to work the same for me.
HeatherMasters
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it was fixed. It's not. Here is a link with a sample. First 30 secs are raw (26 RMS), second are after processing. It's definitely happening when I normalize. I can't hear the distortion through my computer speakers, but in my cans it sounds awful. I'm starting to think I'm going crazy. Is it distorted, or am I losin it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/38w788g6wnqreqa/distortion%20sample.mp3?dl=0

My normalizer is just the plug-in on Twisted Wave, which now that I think of it, I did just update recently. Should I try reinstalling TW?

www.heathermastersvo.com
SteveToner
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks & sounds like overaggressive limiting. I get similar results if I limit the initial sample to -11.5 dB or so (RMS level of -18.614 vs. -18.671 for your processed sample).

Try setting your limiter to -10dB and see if that doesn't make it sound better. Resulting RMS level is -19.813 with my software - presumably that's still within the required range?

[Edit: Alternatively, you've bumped up the gain on the input so your recording level is a bit hotter than it was before...]

Smile
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raw audio is of broadcast quality. You may need to increase the gain and possibly limit to knock out the peaks but other than that don't over think.

All audio software needs a de-waffle preset which reduces the noise made by gearheads.

Listen to this https://soundcloud.com/philip-banks/philip-banks-tv-promos

If you look at the wave you will notice a dynamic range and hear everything going on apart from brickwall limiting, everything at 11 compression and more bottom boost than an LA gym. Never trust the numbers, always trust your ears.
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
All audio software needs a de-waffle preset which reduces the noise made by gearheads.

Audio is one case where less is more.

HeatherMasters
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. When I learned the basics, I made up some presets and pretty much left it at that.The preset I used for this is my audiobook preset, and it only recently started sounding like this. But this is good, because it's made me rethink things, and after hearing what you've said I realize that with my new studio setup, I need to take time and reset things. Before, I used heavier processing because my room noise was a bit much, so turning up the gain made things rough. Now, it seems I've got that under control, so I'm going to play around today and see if I can just adjust the gain and minimalize my processing. I haven't messed with my presets for almost a year...I suppose that's long overdue. I think I'm even looking forward to playing around with things. Now THAT'S growth!

www.heathermastersvo.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: