VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soundproof blankets?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Soundproof blankets? Reply with quote

My studio is, alas, right by a large loft window overlooking industrial north brooklyn. I get planes to La Guaaahdia whizzing by.. i have a lofted bed and draped moving blankets down around all sides of it but their audio absorbing qualities are... meh.

Is there any job-specific blanket that any of you would recommend?

Thanks!

-Ian
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... without immediately suggesting you'll need an isolation booth (which may actually be the only solution, depending on the severity of your situation), moving blankets are the only type of blanket I've heard/seen discussed on the topic of home studio acoustics. But I also wonder about the age and construction of your building, given the location and proximity to the two airports, whether it's only the window you'll need to address.

Higher frequencies are easier to deal with than lower frequencies, which can also create structural vibrations, making the blocking of sounds even more difficult.

Are the plane pass-bys your only real problem?

Short of running right out and hiring an acoustical engineer to evaluate your situation, if you were to post about a couple of minute's worth of raw (ungated/unfiltered) audio including a plane pass-by, perhaps I and/or some others might be able to make some more suggestions.

FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: I like these guys Reply with quote

For sound absorbing blankets I like these guys,

http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com/audimute-sound-absorption-sheets-materials-that-absorb-sound-soundproofing-blankets.aspx?dsktp=1

but for your situation you may need to get things like double windows that help with the outside noise. And with neighbors that fly jets you most likely need a booth, or a place in the countryside Smile

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
SteveToner
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blankets won't block sound to any significant degree. They will absorb reflections. So, if the window is the major problem, you want to do a google search on "secondary glazing." No guarantees from the management, however. As others have mentioned, you may ultimately need a booth.
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!!

I'll post some background sounds tomorrow or sunday, and I'll send some pictures, too... you'll see the situation I'm dealing with.

I'm planning on moving in with my girlfriend in the spring into a 1br with a home office so this is sort of a triage situation until then when I can really go ham.

-Ian
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think blankets are the answer either but DANG! finmac's blankets are WAY more spendy than mine.

http://www.harborfreight.com/40-inch-x-72-inch-movers-blanket-47262.html

samowry
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then there are these. 8x6 and weigh 11#.

https://www.vocalboothtogo.com/product/oversized-sound-blankets-producers-choice-wgrommets-black/
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those dimensions are perfect THX Sam!!
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's with their quality control? Dimensions could be 2-3" off from the nominal size? That lack of precision seems a bit odd to me, but they are pretty cheap. I may get one and see if it's better than the quilt I made by sandwiching Roxul Safe 'n Sound between two Harbor Freight furniture blankets.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Zach Meissner
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw another option into the mix. I've been using these with great results.

https://www.uboxes.com/super-supreme-blankets-95lbs-doz-4-pack

ZachMeissner.com
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good option to insulate your windows to block out sound. They're pricey, and if you have big loft windows, that's going to be an issue. http://www.indowwindows.com/storm-window-inserts/
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a large double window in my studio. i built a substantial window plug & it works great. 1"x8" box filled with recycled denim topped with a 1"x3" box also filled with recycled denim & covered. i've got about $30 in it.

JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samowry wrote:
And then there are these. 8x6 and weigh 11#.

https://www.vocalboothtogo.com/product/oversized-sound-blankets-producers-choice-wgrommets-black/

I have used these and they work, both as absorbing, and (as I needed them) to BLOCK. The use was specific, an outdoor 6th story rooftop club space with a 4' railing that needed to try and contain live bands from radiating down into the streets below as much as affordably possible without doing permanent changes to the space. Bought enough of them to fold-over the railing (secured with bungee/grommets to the railing base) as a double layer covering a corner about 30'or so in both directions from the corner. It worked very well, surprisingly well at mid-low frequencies and they do work better than typical furniture blankets. They are NOT weather-proof (we set and struck them every day).

I would also suggest a couple of options: one being the Aston HALO mic shield (Having just gotten one) combined with something to go over the window... the blankets might do... or it is quite easy to build a gobo out of Corning 703 blocks set into a frame of 1x4 and masonite that would sit in front of the window-in-question. Depends on how much of the noise might also be coming through the room construction besides the window.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using blankets, you want the ones that aren't quilted. They are basically just sheets of recycled denim that you can hang.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IBKAQ14/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12-pack for $40!
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they sold those Amazon blankets in smaller quantities. It seems a shame to buy a dozen when I need only one or two. On the other hand, that dozen costs less than the single VocalBoothToGo blanket I was considering.

Before I replaced it with a couple of custom ATS panels made with OC 703, I had a quilt that I had fashioned from two Harbor Freight furniture blankets ($6 each) sandwiched around scraps od Roxul Safe 'n Sound. It actually worked fairly well (which is why I'm thinking about blankets again) but it was difficult to keep the insulation from sinking to the bottom, making my DIY quilt less effective and cumbersome to move past.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: