VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soundproof blankets?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cool thing about a 12 pack is that you could easily attach 3 of them together to make a pretty thick blanket for each wall of a booth. If you got another pack you could roll them up and make bass traps to shove in the corner. That would be $80 to do a pretty decent job of deadening a closet-sized booth.

Lee, if you need one or two, I have a couple dozen that I actually got for my move. I'd be happy to send you a couple...but shipping might end up being half of what Amazon charges for 12 blankets Smile If you're ever in Kalamazoo, feel free to swing by and grab a couple!
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The what-cha-got-handy approach DID serve me well for decades. I cut solo and group commercials and vocals with a trio of tall mic booms set as 7' T-stands to hold a multi-layer quilt/blanket/wood sandwich behind the talent and around the mic. Nobody complained.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder...

Might it be worth garage sale browsing and thrift store shopping for old, thick, heavy blankets?

Who knows what kind of deals you might find...?

Also, I wonder if wool is a well suited natural material for this task?
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work shoots at an ad agency that had in house production facilities.
They are located on the frontage road of a busy mid city freeway and their green screen room had a wall of windows overlooking the freeway. Outside noise was a big problem for them...a constant white noise from the traffic 6 stories below with occasional bursts of truck or motorcycle mufflers.
So they had some company that specializes in such things install an accordioned sound absorbing wall that they could slide out on ceiling mounted rails and block the freeway windows, which worked brilliantly. It had a tool that expanded it vertically once slid into place so it locked against the ceiling and floor tightly. (Ive also seen those accordion sound walls in radio stations)

Although it blocked the freeway noise, it left the room with a lot of reflection from the untreated drywall. They fixed that with a couple of cases of heavy sound blankets ( black) that hung -simply draped -from ceiling level almost to the floor, (similar to what you'd see at a sound stage but without the chicken wire laid over it) including a few laid around the green screen area on the floor to deaden floor reflection when they laid the green screen out on the floor for a full shot, (the floor was a tight weave office carpet).
The blankets did a good job of taming reflection but would not have done anything to reduce the outside noise. Just fuel for thought for anyone thinking they'll eliminate outside noise with heavy blankets. It takes mass...layers of drywall and green glue to accomplish that.

Those blankets are available on line from a variety of vendors. I would highly recommend getting the heavy, thick ones though, if buying blankets.
Dan DeMann

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I like these guys Reply with quote

FinMac wrote:
For sound absorbing blankets I like these guys,

http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com/audimute-sound-absorption-sheets-materials-that-absorb-sound-soundproofing-blankets.aspx?dsktp=1

but for your situation you may need to get things like double windows that help with the outside noise. And with neighbors that fly jets you most likely need a booth, or a place in the countryside Smile

I bought 10 of the Audimute blankets from a guy on Craigslist. Got some Schedule 80 pipe and built a frame to hang them from. I used all ten blankets, going two layers thick - that's my "booth".

I'm getting about 10db reduction from outside to inside. I'm thinking about enclosing some Roxul Safe N' Sound in canvas and hanging it between the layers to see if I can reduce it even more.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: I like these guys Reply with quote

Dan DeMann wrote:
I'm thinking about enclosing some Roxul Safe N' Sound in canvas and hanging it between the layers

You'll need some sewing skills to make that work. If you don't create pockets to contain the Roxul (I'd recommend 16" by 16" squares), all the insulation will sink down to the bottom and your assembly will literally go all pear-shaped. I tried the same thing, sandwiching Roxul between two moving blankets, at first, just laying it all inside and pinning the two blankets together. The stuff immediately sank to the bottom. So I took it apart, and re-did it, creating 16" wide columns to accommodate the width of the batts, but they eventually slumped down, as well. Roxul is pretty friable. You might have better success with something like Owens Corning 703, which maintains its shape a lot better.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or recycled denim - great sound properties without the off-gassing and it holds it's shape pretty well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: