VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New way to make music and efx

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: New way to make music and efx Reply with quote

This is innovation anyone can use!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz5nFP_ySbbsmo1tWldOuZA
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. The ability to make horrifyingly terrible, repetitive tunes seems enormous. However, in caring hands, for non-intrusive narrative production music, it shows some promise.

I'm thinking I'll keep an eye on this gizmo.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey now, I make repetitive electronic dance tunes! Case in point, I made this over the weekend for a friend:

To The Sky

I need to work more on it, but it was a proof-of-concept and a test of the L3 Ultramaximizer on the bus.

I actually just bought a drum machine/sequencer to go with my analog synthesizer. Now I can make my dog REALLY run and hide! Laugh

Actually, the ROLI company had the "Rise" keyboard that looked incredible. I saw a video of John Williams playing around with one. It's got that 3-D touch to it.

Imagine a keyboard where the keys are like pressure sensitive track pads. There's an app that mimicks the keyboard for free on the app store. If you have an ipad or an iphone that has force touch/3-d touch or whatever -- it's worth playing around with.
SkinnyJohnny
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!!
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkinnyJohnny wrote:
Nice work!!

It gets a bit repetitive, and I intend to back to the project and maybe chop it up some more and add in a few more things.

I wanted to show a friend of mine you could use "country" elements in a dance song. She wants to record some of her own country music, and I was having fun playing with the genre.

I did a lot of DJ'ing ... and someday I hope to have room to setup my mixing deck. Right now it's in a metal flight case in the closet, along with my MIDI keyboard Cry
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the I had the Roli app on my phone from a long time ago. Apparently they've updated it to resemble these new cube things.

I played around with it on my iPhone 6, and because it has a press-sensitive screen, it was kind of fun.

The app mirrors the hardware, so I got a decent feel for what it would be like to have one of these little gizmos in front of me. My thoughts:

Low entry barrier. It's easy to make cool sounding things. It's harder, however, to plan and execute things you want to do. I noticed I just kind of stumbled onto neat patterns and sound combinations.

This tells me that the device would be well-suited for a live performance type gig. You can setup the instrument kits and a few loops/samples and then turn them on/off and modify them on the fly.

To actually compose and record something? That would be a bit harder with this thing I think. It might work well as an "idea generator" though, allowing you to go into your DAW with a full-sized MIDI controller/keyboard and reproduce and build upon some inspiration.

It was fun to mess around with the app though...I don't play games on my phone, but I could see myself wasting time at an airport with this app and a pair of headphones!
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenaliDave wrote:

It was fun to mess around with the app though...I don't play games on my phone, but I could see myself wasting time at an airport with this app and a pair of headphones!

It does look like fun~!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: