VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VO booth plans
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: VO booth plans Reply with quote

I'm exploring the idea of building a vo booth.
Can anyone who's done so post links to where you got your plans from?
How'd it turn out for you and any other notes/comments on the process and final product.
I scoured youtube and found a couple videos and dawbox.com had a couple plans that they include some good instruction on (DVDs, etc.).

I'd appreciate it.
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask why you're building a booth instead of a room?

I totally get it if you rent or just can't convert a space, but don't rule out having 1500cuFt of air around your microphone.

www.monksvoice.com
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent well under $1,000 to sound treat my 11' x 16' studio. Small cheats: the shag carpeting was already here, and I don't have outside noise problems 99% of the time. However, it's much cheaper than a booth, close to the quality of a pricey booth, and always comfortable.

If you've got to, you've got to, but....

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did my 9'x12' room - cabinetry and everything for less that $1,000. i was putting flooring in the entire house anyway - so i don't count that. and - like bruce - outside noise doesn't bother me ... usually.

Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What some people seem to overlook in these endeavors is that just constructing a booth won't necessarily block out noise, unless the materials are sufficient for such purposes. It also involves almost airtight construction since noise, like water, will find any crevices that allow it to enter.

For me, a reputable booth provider was my way to ensure that these factors were addressed up front without requiring me to become an expert on sound isolation.

Just some things to consider.
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need isolation as I have 2 young kids upstairs right above my studio and, despite my wife's efforts, they aren't always the quietest.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have no better options for where to record and for where the kids can play, then a booth with heavy soundproofing sounds like your only option. Heavy sedation is also probably not a good answer. Ninja

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's a good starting point?
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an idea I had the other day...

Find a self-storage place and rent a unit. Turn it into a vocal booth/recording space. Probably best to check and see if they'd be OK with it.

I know people have used them as band practice rooms, there's pictures of bands playing in storage units...

However, an even COOLER idea would be to make an entire studio inside a shipping/cargo container...

I give you, Studio Conex:

https://renaissanceronin.wordpress.com/2009/03/13/the-many-faces-of-a-shipping-container-recording-studio-in-a-box/

(it's not really called that, but it sounded funny to me).

Honestly, it would a lot of work, but I think it might be a cool way to do a studio if your home doesn't have the room...
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenaliDave wrote:
Here's an idea I had the other day...

Find a self-storage place and rent a unit. Turn it into a vocal booth/recording space.

Cool and would be a neat project but not practical for me.
Thanks Dave
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that most people who built booths or rooms on here just did the plans in their heads. I have heard from multiple people that the DAWBOX plans really won't get you there (especially if you are isolating from kids).

I think your best bet (if you can build and aren't renting an apartment or something along those lines) is to find the quietest place in the house that has ample space to give up and then build something custom for that space.

To isolate from kids (I have 3 kids 10, 9, 7 and have done two booth/rooms) you are going to need to be well decoupled (like on a slab with the walls and ceiling not touching the structure) and nice and thick and dense.

Depending on your level of handiness you could build with only a little help. A consultation with Mr. Whitham might be worth the investment if you need help developing a plan. Better to do it once well than to throw something together that just ends up frustrating you.
JasonSound

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will agree with Jason H. above on construction. Mass and air space is a big part of the equation for isolation from external sources. You will be dealing with not just sound but vibration. Decoupling the booth from your existing structure is important. Low end external sound is the most difficult to keep out of the booth. Helicopters, new home construction and garbage trucks being the biggest offenders around here.

I purchased the DAWbox ventilation plans for my unvented Whisperroom and can assume from those that the DAWbox plans will get you similar isolation to the standard Whisperroom. Which is some isolation but probably not enough to keep kid noises from upstairs out of your recordings.

If you love to research, Rod Gervais book on Home Recording Studio design might be worth picking up. You won't get direct plans, but it's a good studio design and acoustics primer. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/143545717X/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
AlanTaylor
Contributor II

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on a busy street in a busy neighborhood, so external noise issues were problematic. I bought a Whisperroom. It solved 90% of the problem. A very, very slight amount of noise gating from my dbx 286 took care of the rest. I no longer hear landscapers, helicopters, delivery trucks, etc. However, it takes a bit of experimentation to get the sound of the Whisperroom just right. (They tend to be boxy sounding. Probably because you're in a box!) I'm very happy with the sound in mine, now. For me, it was worth it. Why didn't I build my own? I'm just not handy at building things. If you can do it, go for it! Best of luck.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisperroom is definitely a viable option. Especially if you park it in the basement. The big issue with kids is going to be noise overhead if you are in the basement or noise from stomping on floors if you are on any other level.

I honestly would have gone route personally if I could have found one on Craigslist at the time. Unfortunately I couldn't and I'm handy enough that I could build something for substantially less than a new one.

I guess the real question is, what do you NEED to block and what will do the job?
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Float the room Reply with quote

Was just in Helsinki last week for a job. When I arrived in the office, it sounded like the "Dentist from Hell" was working next door.

It is a large building and somewhere they were using a very large drill. When it was my time in the studio I asked the engineer about it. He told me that they floated the floors in the recording space and mixing area.

He could not even hear the drilling Smile

Keeping the space separated from the other room will make a world of difference!

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: