VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OS upgrade time: comments on MacOS 10.12 (Sierra)?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: OS upgrade time: comments on MacOS 10.12 (Sierra)? Reply with quote

Because they're no longer compatible with my Mac mini's current OS (10.8.5), in order to run the AdobeCC (creative cloud) apps I need, I first have to upgrade the OS.

And, because Apple no longer makes available the original installers for the subsequent OS releases, I am pretty much forced to go all the way to the most current release (exactly what Apple wants), MacOS 10.12, aka Sierra.

So, if any Mac users running Sierra can offer any comments, pro and con, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Voxman
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgraded last Friday from Mavericks to Sierra and was with no hitches whatsoever. Runs very nice on MacBook Pro. Also no problem with the SPL Creon and Twisted Wave.
Cheers
Peter
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just upgraded to Sierra ,no problems so far.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get tediously specific:

Does Source Connect work with Sierra?

Audition CC?

Pro Tools?

UAD stuff (Apollo, plugins)?

If anyone has any experience with one or more of these thingies, I'd surely appreciate your input. For me, non-compatibility with any of these is a deal killer.
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by Apple a couple of months ago that Adobe Audition CS 6 will not work with Sierra but will work with El Capitan. However, El Capitan is no longer available. I am still running Mountain Lion. Hoping to get at least another year out of it before being on borrowed time for awhile. My Mac Mini is almost 4 years old now.
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

I updated to Sierra on Thursday (Thanksgiving), and did so because I wanted to use some of Adobe's Creative Cloud apps. I'd been using Audition CS6 for a few years, but it was having memory issues, and I wanted to also begin using Photoshop again. Adobe CC is no longer compatible with my old OS, 10.8.5.

After updating to Sierra and downloading Audition CC, I can tell you it works just fine. (I should also point out that Adobe's sale expires Friday 11/25: 20% off Creative Cloud!) And, according to my system monitors (the iStat Menus app), Audition CC is using considerably less memory than CS6 under 10.8.5... although, I haven't done any editing yet.

I assumed that downloading Audition CC would have overwritten Audition CS6, but it did not; it remains intact. And I discovered it still works under Sierra.

Source-Connect Standard 3.8 launches without any issues, but I've not yet connected with anyone.

Under 10.8.5, I'd been using Pro Tools LE 8.0.5. After updating, Sierra told me Pro Tools would no longer work. However, Pro Tools 12 is authorized for Sierra, according to the AVID website.

As for the update to Sierra, it went without any hiccups... except that it took about 45 minutes (not including the download time).

Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, you're a prince for that detailed and highly useful report! Thank you sir. Exactly what I was looking for, and helps me quite a bit.

Not I'm going to look into the CC discount--I already subscribe to CC (and the Adobe suite) but seems a shame I'd be punished for being a loyal customer Smile
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to echo Mike's comments. I actually did my Sierra update (from El Capitan) this morning on my iMac 5K and it was a complete and utter non-event. The ONLY issue I have had is that Adobe Audition could not find it's scratch folder, so I just had to give it another location. All my production apps are fine (All CC programs, Twisted Wave, MediaHuman Audio Convertor, Audient iD22 mixer app, etc.). No hardware issues (Audient id22).

I'm currently updating Melissa's Core i5 27" iMac and all seems to be going just fine with that as well. She still uses her PC for production, but has the iMac as well, so I'm trying to convince her that the iMac can be her go-to for all things! I'm upgrading it from Lion, so it's a fairly large OS jump. I keep telling her that if she doesn't use it properly, I will steal it and give it a home where it will be cared for and called George.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thank you, Good Bish, for your commentification--most helpful.
SkinnyJohnny
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a Mac Mini running Lion and have put off upgrading because I'm running AA CS 5.5. I got it before they went to the cloud. Has anyone had any experience with Sierra and AA CS 5.5? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkinnyJohnny wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with Sierra and AA CS 5.5?

When I first bought Audition in 2012, the installer was labeled Audition_5. Somewhere along the line (I really don't remember when or how), it became version 6. When I updated to Sierra the other day and then also installed Audition CC, I assumed the CC version would have overwritten the CS6 version, but it did not. While I can't say with any authority that your CS5.5 will work with Sierra, I can tell you that Audition CS6 *does*. At least, it records and plays, and I can edit, but I haven't done anything beyond those very basic functions.

I also purposely stayed several OS versions behind for compatibility reasons. But I wanted to use Photoshop again and try some other Adobe applications, so updating to use the cloud was necessary.

If I decide after this initial year's subscription that I no longer want to continue, I'm wondering whether my Audition CS6 will continue to work. My way of thinking says it SHOULD, as it was not associated with the cloud before now.

SkinnyJohnny
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike! I really appreciate the info!!!
If I do it, I'll post how it turns out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: