VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Source-Connect for Part Timers...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil K. Hess
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Source-Connect for Part Timers... Reply with quote

So, I am still in full time 7-3pm pacific job (Middle school teacher) mode and doing VO in the evenings when jobs come in. I am wondering, does it make sense to get source connect when my availability is rarely the same as when studios are active? If memory serves, source connect is like $650 and $40 a month. Seems like a big expense for something that I might rarely use until I transition to full time.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Source Connect Standard is $35/mo, and it's what I use most of the time when a real connection to another studio is needed (although many people still use Skype or phone). So it's not as expensive as you quoted (I think you quoted SC Pro?). That said, in my experience studios do expect you to record during regular (or regularish) business hours in their time zone. I am usually asked for a few time windows, though, as most good studios recognize you are trying to balance your schedule too.
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it doesn't make good sense, IMHO.
Use Source Connect Now. it's free.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If no clients or agents have asked for it yet, you shouldn't need it. When they do, a one time $35 payment is a reasonable expense. SC allows you not to renew every month.
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I did a comparison of the ISDN alternatives and from the Source-Connect website - they say that Now is NOT a professional solution.

Click here for the blog post with the PDF.
[url]
http://voiceover-talent.com/2016/08/10/updated-live-audio-recording-options-to-isdn-information/[/url]
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Source Connect and Source Connect Now are not interchangeable. Nor do they work with each other.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnieTerwilliger wrote:
Quote:

I did a comparison of the ISDN alternatives and from the Source-Connect website - they say that Now is NOT a professional solution.

[url]
http://voiceover-talent.com/2016/08/10/updated-live-audio-recording-options-to-isdn-information/[/url]

From real life experience with it I'd say that's not entirely accurate with today's internet speeds.
Yes, it's pretty hard to beat ISDN for all it brings to the table, even though it's outdated technology. But there are now many areas where ISDN is simply no longer available for new installations as well as where ISDN is deliberately being priced beyond reasonable affordability in an effort to phase it out. One nearby studio is now paying $1500 per month to keep their ISDN lines. But all that aside, no, Source Connect Now is not compatible with SC Pro but its a great alternative for situations where it can be a go to option.
I've used SCN dozens of times in session situations where I have to get on line with a "hot spot"...like when I'm on the road and my hot spot is more secure and faster than hotel wi-fi.
The receiving studio brings in the audio via a different wiring config but it works just fine. I have a weekly session with MGM Studios that is done via SCN, which is the preference they requested to link with their off site video editor. I always folluw up the session with an FTP posted wav file back up track captured at my end, but I do that with SC Pro also. If both parties have good high speed internet SCN works fine.
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MBVOXX"]
ConnieTerwilliger wrote:
Quote:

[url]

From real life experience with it I'd say that's not entirely accurate with today's internet speeds.
Yes, it's pretty hard to beat ISDN for all it brings to the table, even though it's outdated technology. But there are now many areas where ISDN is simply no longer available for new installations as well as where ISDN is being priced beyond affordability... One nearby studio is now paying $1500 per month to keep their ISDN lines. But all that aside... no, Source Connect Now is not compatible with SC Pro but its a great alternative for situations where it can be a go to option.
I've used SCN dozens of times when I have to get on line with a "hot spot"...like when I'm on the road and my hot spot is more secure and faster than hotel wi-fi. The receiving studio brings in the audio via a different wiring config but it works just fine. Just for example, this was done via SC Now...(Tank Girl Promo)

https://www.facebook.com/WatchComet/videos/1256808724379980/

If both parties have good high speed internet SCN works fine. And being free, it's worth a try. Worst case scenario is that it's not the option you need. But best case would be that it ends up working for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: