VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garage Conversion Input
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Garage Conversion Input Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm moving into a new house with a separate garage that will be my new studio.

It's a one car space and currently has drywall with blown cellulose insulation. I'll be walling off the big door with the same.

Has anyone here gone through with a similar studio installation who wouldn't mind sharing their experience?

I'm debating how far to go with sound proofing the entire space vs putting a booth in it.

The biggest issue is a train that passes a few times a day about 1/3 of a mile away and some potential condo construction on the next block.

Any success or horror stories with a similar space?

Thanks in advance.
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: check this out Reply with quote

Sometime ago I came across this series of videos where Ian Shepherd builds out his garage into his home mastering studio.

Not a 100 percent match but it might give you some good ideas.

http://www.gikacoustics.com/ian-shepherd-builds-home-studio/

hope it helps!

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott!

Lots of very good info there. That helps a lot! Found the stuff about the "golden ratio" quite interesting.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too converted a single garage space into my studio. We built a room inside a room with the floor and ceiling decoupled and 2 layers of 5/8 inch drywall on each side of the walls of the interior room, plus green glue between the drywall layes. So a total of 4 layers of 5/8 inch drywall, plus R19 insulation between and the green glue. The only thing I hear inside my recording room (it's 8x10 feet so much bigger than a booth) is when the mowers come to do my yard and are working right outside the garage.

However, a train is something you're going to have a lot of trouble blocking. That's some massive bass frequencies to deal with. Not sure what would be the solution for that situation.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I helped Chris Mezzolesta design his space, he had a wide one car garage that was attached.

http://chrismezzolestavo.com/

You can ask him how it turned out.

As far as train noise. Yah, lots of powerful low end. The only thing that's going to stop that is mass. A dual leaf wall with a decoupled floor will go a long way as well. basically that's a room in the garage that's sitting on u-boat floats.

My studio is about 1/2 mile from a train as it chugs through a tunnel. And we were able to silence it with layers of drywall and green glue.

Let me know if you want to chat.

www.monksvoice.com
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first home studio back in the late 70's was a garage conversion and I learned a lot about how not to do it from that experience. Since then I've built 3 studios, a couple of which were pro line facilities and done an attic conversion. If you follow thru with the plans you have you'll be about half way there but will suffer all kinds of noise issues from the outside world...not just trains & construction, but birds, dogs, wind, rain, etc. I would suggest that you consider building a "room with a room" inside that finished garage if you want to keep most of the outside noise out. Remember, it takes mass -double layers of sheet rock with green glue - and cavities of air space with loose insulation to stop noise. But you'll most likely never eliminate the train. The RWAR build could also be a booth, but either way, you'll need to isolate yourself from the garage floor or you'll be wasting money on build supplies.
There are lots of sites with detailed build plans and acoustic/sonic results & diagrams to help you with the planning.

start here

http://www.sonicscoop.com/2012/11/29/soundproofing-the-small-studio/
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Very helpful info.

Anyone care to weigh in on a double walled Whisper Room or Pro StudioBricks vs a well built room within a room?

My guess would be a prefab booth would be considerably better than anything I'm likely to have contracted and built for a similar price. But I really have no clue.

If even a top of the line booth won't keep out the train, then I'm thinking I might as well just go with just double walling the garage and having a larger space to work from. All but a couple minutes a day, when the train rolls through, that is. Damn trains, ha.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quicksilver wrote:

My guess would be a prefab booth would be considerably better than anything I'm likely to have contracted and built for a similar price. But I really have no clue.

I would guess exactly the opposite, especially if you are capable of doing any of the labor yourself.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick with contractors is getting their heads around the idea that the "room within a room" is not tied into the structure. In any way. Even the cabling should be flexible.

Any connection creates a stereo needle into the structure and can transmit the energy.

As far as a booth goes, I'm personally a fan of a minimum 1500 cubic feet of air around a decent microphone. So my studio is a big booth, without the 'boothy' sound.

www.monksvoice.com
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monk wrote:
Even the cabling should be flexible.

Top tip: Whatever number of any type of cables you think you're going to need to run into the booth, double it. Then add a couple more.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's encouraging.

Agree, booths don't sound the best and are hell to spend 40+ hours a week in.

Ideally, a room sized booth would be the best. If that proves too difficult, I think I may fallback to installing a very small, bombproof booth for those sessions where an interruption could lose a client. Then I could spend the majority of the day doing auditions and self directed work from the larger space, knowing I might have to pause for the occasional train or leaf blower.

I just bought 240sf of 3/4in rubber horse stable mats from a friend. What to do with them, I'm not 100% on yet but it was a sweet deal, ha. The ball is rolling, just not quite sure in what direction, yet!
ricevoice
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quicksilver wrote:
I think I may fallback to installing a very small, bombproof booth for those sessions where an interruption could lose a client. Then I could spend the majority of the day doing auditions and self directed work from the larger space, knowing I might have to pause for the occasional train or leaf blower.

That's essentially what I wound up doing. Added a 2nd layer of sheetrock w Green Glue and floating floor (and extra window) to a 10x12 bedroom, with a ton of acoustic treatment. But last year installed a pre-fab booth in the back corner for those just-in-case situations. Added bonus: the booth itself makes a killer bass trap for the larger room!
Buff-A

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the horse stall mats - I have several of them, and with their amazing density, are great at absorbing sound. I'd recommend attaching them on top of sheetrock or whatever you're using for walls.

If the whole booth were sheeted-over with that guage of rubber, it would be a great acoustical head-start, though the interior would still need treatment, of course.

There is a special sound-suppressing grade of sheetrock, which is made for use in apartment buildings and is available at Home Depot and Lowes. But it does cost a lot more. In any case, I'd use those horse stall mats as one of the layers in the wall...preferably the outside layer.

georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tips in a minute:
    2 leaf walls are better than 4 leaf
    Mass-air-mass makes for the best isolation, floor, walls, and ceiling
    Don't overlook ventilation, it's the "not so silent" killer of studios
    johnlsayers.com forum is your friend
    If all else fails, hire a professional consultant

424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What George said.

I'd rather see you get guidance than waste money.

www.monksvoice.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: