VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sony MDR-7506

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: The Sony MDR-7506 Reply with quote

Ah, the 7506, the sub-$100 pair of headphones that have been around since...since forever! Some background from Wikipedia on this model:

Quote:
In 1991, Sony introduced the MDR-7506 headphones, which were marketed to audio professionals.

Both models share the same part number for their driver, but the magnet therein is known to vary. The MDR-7506 was introduced with a samarium–cobalt magnet, as was originally used in the MDR-V6. However, at some point, the MDR-7506 switched to the slightly more powerful neodymium magnet. These changes were made without changing the driver part number. In addition, Sony's own store website specifications for the MDR-V6 also list a neodymium magnet, further calling into question whether the MDR-V6 and MDR-7506 actually use different magnet types in their drivers.

In 1997, EQ magazine wrote, "Most people will use Sony MDR-V6 or similar headphones, such as the professional version Sony MDR-7506 or Koss Pro-4A. These Sony headphones have a reputation for loud sound and for blocking out at least some outside noise. A 2001 web audio book listed the MDR-7506 as "the industry favorite".

Wikipedia

I'm now playing around with a pair after my AudioTechnica ATH-M70x fell apart. Literally.

Yep, my favorite pair of headphones for editing/checking EQ just fell apart one day. There's spot right above the gimbal/swivel on each side where the ear cup swivels. A grey "metal" and black plastic part meet:

One day I tried to put them on and noticed those two pieces had come apart. I also noticed the two pieces seemed to be held together with glue. Yes, glue. A rectangular patch of glue actually, leading me to believe an adhesive sticker of sorts.

So I tried Crazy Glue. Nope. I tried Elmer's "Glue All" nope. I tried Gorilla Glue. Nope. At this point, the headphones are out of warranty and I'm not sending them back to Audio Technica. In fact if you go on Amazon, other people have posted pictures of the exact same failure. Well, live and learn!

So I'm in the market for a new set of headphones to edit/check mixes/eq with. I looked at a TON of possible cans. Sennheiser, Beyers, Focal, Shure...most were well over $300. I just didn't want to buy a pair of headphones that expensive that might fall apart again.

I had read a lot about how tons of radio stations, on-site sound guys, and recording studios had the old Sony 7506's laying around. They're cheap, built reasonably well, sound OK, ect ...

For me, I have better luck with cheap $9 sunglasses. I never seem to ever loose or break those. As soon as I get a nice, $100 pair, they go missing or break. Ever. Single. Time. So I applied that same logic to headphones and just decided to order a pair from Amazon. I made sure, however, to order "sold by Amazon" (not just fulfilled by Amazon) to avoid fakes.

Well, I'm happy to report I'm pleasantly surprised!

I have a fair bit of experience with headphones, as I have the following to compare with sitting around:

Sennheiser HD-25 II

AKG 271 MK II

Bowers & Wilkens P5

Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7B

Nakamichi BT304

I have some HiFiman HE-350's from MassDrop arriving next week, so I'll be comparing them as well:

Well, the Sony's don't isolate as well as the pair they're replacing. The Audio Technica's that fell apart were certainly heavier and blocked outside noise better. Here's my initial impressions I sent to a curious friend:

Quote:
For $80 I don't think you can get a better pair of cans. Nearly every studio has a few pairs laying around. I'm listening to songs how the artist might have heard it during mixdown. Funny they use cheap headphones. They're the Yamaha NS-10 white-cone studio monitors. They aren't amazing, but they're fairly flat/neutral, with the highs rolled off a bit, I can tell on my own stuff as I go back listening to my own mastered tracks. The lows aren't murder-bass either, but it's there. Light, comfortable. Portable. Cheap. Durable. Yeah, I'm happy with em, 8/10 would recommend.

They aren't as detailed as some headphones, but then again they're a lot more balanced than many headphones. They mids aren't to recessed either with that typical "V" shaped EQ that seems to be all-to-common these days.

The headband has metal inside it, with little indents that "click" when you adjust it. There's also numbers as well on each little indent. It's even replaceable:

Sony even provides an "exploded view" with a complete part list by part number. Theoretically, you could build a pair of these if you ordered each part off the list:

Human spoken word sounds natural. Applying things like compression, de-essing ect are easy to do and hear. They're light and can be worn for extended periods. I like to wear new headphones without any music or sound playing for a half hour to see how they feel. If I get annoyed with them on my head before 30 minutes is up -- I know they'll suck for long editing sessions.

Not these! For me, they disappear when a source is played through them. The oval shaped ear cups do a good job, and the padding seems adequate. Even Justin Bieber can be caught wearing the near-cousin and predecessor, the V6!

They wont win any beauty contests, and you certainly won't feel a high level of pride in owning them. They get the job done, plain and simple. And if you break them, loose them, or someone at a studio or station walks off with them -- you're not out several hundred dollars.

I can see why a casual listener would rate them so highly. On Amazon the 7506 and the near-identical twin the V6 are some of the highest rated headphones site-wide. Price, performance, comfort -- they all tick boxes that make a winning combination.

There's a "knock off" pair of headphones that look almost identical to the Sony's by Senal that I'm interested in trying now. They fix a few issues people have with the Sony's, namely having a removable cord:

There's a decent review comparing the two HERE.

Sometimes you just need a simple, reliable tool for a job -- and I'm finding the 7506's are adequate for that job, despite DT770's and HD600's costing many times more. Are those better sounding? Probably, but the Sony's do a job, do it well, and at the end of the day I don't have anxiety over breaking or loosing an expensive pair of headphones!
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get much better isolation (and a bit better low-end and comfort, too) from the 7506 by replacing the faux-vinyl/leather OEM ear pads with these velour pads:

http://www.daleproaudio.com/p-1460-beyerdynamic-edt-250-v-velour-earpads-for-dt250-dt280-sony-mdr7506.aspx

Doing so will also keep flecks of the faux-vinyl/leather from getting in your ears and hair when they begin to fall apart a few years down the road. Wink

ricevoice
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ This!!!!! The Beyerdynamic pads are outstanding... so comfortable that the MDR-V6 set I had laying around are now my go-to travel cans for music/movies on airplanes as well as being a great part of my road recording rig.
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Dave, thanks for jotting all this down.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the velour ear pads for comfort and no flaking leather! They all are a bear to install though for "all thumbs" people like me.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on the replacement pads! I'm a big fan of velour pads, and I run the both on my AKG's and Sennheiser's.

I use my AKG's for tracking/recording and the Sennheisers are for DJ work.

People ask me "what's the best headphone?!" And I have to chuckle, because headphones are like people -- no two are alike.

Each headphone has a unique sound and a particular strength. They're like tools, or coats...or something. Sometimes it's cold and you need a heavier coat. Sometimes you want to look stylish. Sometimes you need high-peformance or camping/hiking. It all depends on what you are doing!

The Bowers & Wilkens are my "showy" headphones. They are NOT neutral or balanced at all. In fact, after using Sennheiser's or another pair, they sound muddy.

The AKG's sound anemic, but are wonderful for being behind the microphone -- not listening to music. They have an auto-mute switch that turns them off when they're removed. This is helpful if you're recording over a music bed and don't want it to leak into the mic.

I have a few pairs of in-ear's as well -- and those are great for exercising, or traveling. The noise-cancelling Audio Technica's I have are an amazing value compared to their Bose competitor. For $99 you get 90% of the active noise cancelling -- and a better all around "sound" for music. I REFUSE to fly without active noise cancelling headphones now. We don't realize how much the engine and cabin noise causes stress and fatigue!

The Hifiman cans are ... an experiment. They're fully open headphones, so not great for when you are in mixed company or recording.

Massdrop sent them via "Parcel Post" which means they shipped from Pennsylvania on the 3rd of January, but won't arrive here until the 26th. I have packages from China arriving sooner from AliExpress.

I'm guessing they put my headphones on a literal dogsled, or have tasked Frodo and his fellowship to bring them to me.
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7506's are very bright. After 8 hours use, I would call them harsh. Great cans and served me well in radio for a long time but leave me wincing and reaching to turn the volume down towards the end of a long day of VO.

Got some DT 770's last year and don't have that problem anymore.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have old people's ears, as I don't hear that with them at all.

You'd probably hate Grado's and I'd probably love them...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: