VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Window Plug Crack - is Back!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Window Plug Crack - is Back! Reply with quote

I have some window plugs that are 2x4s and Plywood filled with Roxul...ONLY I need to seal the gap between the plugs and the window. I used regular rope caulk which is now coming loose. Frankly, it never worked that well in the first place.

The bottom and side cracks are quite thin. However, the top could be better. One (of the two) probably has 1/2 inch gap at the top.

I'd like to seal these on a "semi-permanent" basis without using something that is going to outgas and be a problem. I'm thinking of felt...or some other material that I can STUFF in and hopefully make a tight seal.

Any suggestions from those with practical experience in this area would be appreciated.

Thanks.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a "window plug" that I think is similar in construction to what you did. I put some carpet around the edge. It fit so tight I had to put some soapy water (dish detergent) on the carpet to give it some lubrication and I used a mallet to drive the plug into the window frame. Some other material might block more sound but I NEVER had the feeling it was lacking.

When I moved recently, I expected the worst when I pulled the plug out the window. Would the moisture and detergent be a nasty mess? NO! I didn't even have to paint the inside of the window opening.

My test of the window plug: Across the street from me was a NICE subdivision with a grandly landscaped frontage. EVERY FRIDAY the mow-and-blow folks would show up and mow and edge and then blow with the little 2-cycle gasoline engine back-pack blower. Those things make a NASTY noise. I could record right through the lawn crowd parade. My studio window faced the street and the landscaping across the street.
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. It's appreciated.

Yesterday I found a product at our local Lowes that looks promising.

It's an expandable foam seal. It's peel-off sticky like a typical weather seal but then it expands from approx 1/4 inch up to a full 1 inch thickness. Heat and/or time triggers it. They claim it's even waterproof when it's compressed. So, I'm giving it a try.

https://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-Products-03100-Compressible/dp/B007NG6IJ6

For those smaller cracks I've about decided to use some no outgas caulk that I got for another purpose. So what if it's got a 200 pound glue strength? What good is it having your own house if can't screw it up occasionally? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: