VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yeah, but why didn't you go with a BIG name?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Yeah, but why didn't you go with a BIG name? Reply with quote

P.D.'s response to my imaging query:

"Thanks for your email. I currently have Randy Thomas, but am switching 1/1 to Joe Cipriano. Just signed the deal yesterday."

Randy Freaking Thomas and Joe Freaking C. And this isn't even in a huge market.

These gigs are proving to be a tough nut to crack. Nose, meet grindstone...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You realize that nearly any station can even have Ernie Anderson do voice tracks with one of these packages. And he passed away quite a while ago.
If you are offering really complete & total customization that may include weekly or monthly updates, special program or personality liners and bits or anything that sets your services beyond the "drop and tag" services, it will put you at an advantage.
Here's the group Joe Cip's part of.... not a bad idea if you can sell enough of them:
http://www.promovoice.com/
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People buy what they want not what we're selling. My tip for anyone trying to crack this market would be to increase your prices and on the face of it be less flexible with services on offer.

Step one to being one of the elite is to start thinking like one and behaving like one. It is possible to do it and not come across as aloof or arrogant.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David - This goes to show you how tough it is. You are competeing with the very best and most of the time price is not why someone selects a talent. Questions for anyone considering imaging or promo to answer:

* Am I truly at that level? (Don't kid yourself. You have once chance at an audition and you're up against the best.)

* Do I have a great demo?

* Can I provide the high quality audio and means of delivery the top talent can?

* How can I persuade/prove to decision makers that I am the person to hire?

Dave, you're a talented guy. It's only a matter of time before you land a big one.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
You are competeing with the very best and most of the time price is not why someone selects a talent.

Dan,

You said a mouthful here. And it doesn't just apply to Dave's efforts to get imaging work. For every significant job we do, we all face this reality all the time. I mean, I've heard Banksey's American accent. I doubt I'll ever work again.

Well, actually I don't really doubt that. Because I'm not spending my time worrying about what Banksey's doing, or Dan-O, or Dave, or Joe Cip or Don LaFontaine or anyone else. There's only one guy's career on which my energy is focused and he's sitting here typing on my computer right now.

Dave, I love your comment

dhouston67 wrote:
Nose, meet grindstone...

Don't give up. Some smart program director's is going to realize that he'd be a fool not to work with you. Then another. And another. You get the idea. There are over 10,000 radio stations on the US alone. I'm only voicing the imaging for 5 of them. (Maybe 6, I'll know next month.) There's plenty of work for all of us, if we'll concentrate on finding it.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I don't think I was as discouraged as my post may have indicated; I actually had a brief chuckle at the whimsical notion that, had I contacted the guy a day earlier, I might have edged out Joe Cip for the gig.

I could then go outside to help guide the dumptruck deposit the sacks of money in the driveway. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, didn't you ever read Miss Manners? In her Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior she has a section on Dealing with Inquiries from Voice-overs. "Tell them you just hired Joe Cipriano. This is the kindest way to avoid telling them you have no money and that your custodian does all your promo work." Neat, huh?

So, never give up.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope Joe knows about that passage, because that is a scream.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: