VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Field recording set-up?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Field recording set-up? Reply with quote

I'm sure y'all have covered this topic, but I can't find where.

I need a relatively-inexpensive and effective field set-up for recording while I'm away on a short trip next month. I might be using Audacity on a rickety old Windows laptop if they won't let me install Audacity on the 'puter in the hotel business center (and why would they?) Ideas?

Last edited by asnively on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we assume you want to record regular VO and not something like interviews?
Standard issue is usually an MBox into a reasonable laptop.
Perhaps you can use a USB direct mic like the new Rode Podcaster and go straight into the laptop and tweak in the software.

Other than that, there are some really neat new digital recorders that have phantom power and xlr inputs that upload through USB.
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Samson CO1U USB mic and a laptop.
When I first visited Australia (where I now am) it was a godsend, and worked fabulously.
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I just need to record myself on the road. I'm trying not to have to haul my preamp, etc. That Rode mic looks so nice...

Spacegypsy wrote:
I use a Samson CO1U USB mic and a laptop.
When I first visited Australia (where I now am) it was a godsend, and worked fabulously.

Wow! I'm so glad to hear you say that! I can get that mic very inexpensively (under $100), and I was worried about the quality for that price. That might just save the day!

Last edited by asnively on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, for the price, it's fabulous. And, because of the price, one doesn't have to worry too much about damage during travelling - easy to replace if something goes awry.

If you have XP service pack 2, you can download a little program from samson which gives the mic more functionality, but if not (which I didn't the first time I travelled) all you do is plug it in, and the Windows interface recognizes it instantly. Just set up your sound recording program to use the mic as the Wave In and off you go!

Happy Travels!
Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy-the Samson is my only mic at the time as I am in the process of setting up my studio. It works great. I can't wait to get set up but in the meatime, it works fantastic. I have a Mac so I just use garage band for editing.

Now what did I come in here for?
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy,

When I travel (9 to 10 times a year), I often need to be able to match the "sound" of previous work. So, I travel with my main studio mike (an Audio Technica AT-4033 carefully packed in a road case) and my M-Audio MobilePre USB box, also carefully packed.

I usually bring along my Seagate external firewire drive so I don't have to rely on my laptop's system drive for recording and editing.

This may not be an issue for you (matching other voice tracks) in which case I have a good friend who is using the Samson mike as his main home studio mike too.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dscott
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Regular Work Horse Reply with quote

Shure KSM32 - dbx 286A - PowerBookG4 - Logic - internet via WiFi or Cellular... I can see where the new USB mics could eliminate the need for phantom and extra gear, although a motu traveller, Mbox etc looks cool too.
I also Have the little iMic USB interface that works great with dynamic mics, Guitars and line feeds too.
Cheers!
Dave
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, everyone! What great feedback. I don't have to do any matching (thank goodness) so I'll be picking up the Samson right away! Thanks so much!

Last edited by asnively on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever tried one of these? I'm a bit of a gadget guy and every time I open up the BSW source book I gravitate to this... Laugh

Don't know if it sounds any good but it sure looks cool. Looks like you could taser someone with it after you finish the interview.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Channel brought that up a while back!
It looks like it's smiling.
billelder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Dell Pentium III 800 laptop with Behringer mixer ($40) and Soundblaster USB interface ($40) with my Studio Projects B1 (leaving the C1 in the studio) or my Behringer 8500. Works like a champ!

The only problem is I don't go away often enough.
(To prove I have actually been away I would post my picture of me and some friends at the Georgia Music Hall of Fame awards ceremony, but I look like Mr. Burns on the Simpsons. <g> They did induct Gregg Allman and R.E.M. where they played Midnight Rider for one time in history.)
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoiceTom wrote:
Don't know if it sounds any good but it sure looks cool. Looks like you could taser someone with it after you finish the interview.

I've had interviews where that would have been an appealing feature.

Last edited by asnively on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doug Hummer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to look into the M.A.R.K. (Mobile Audio Recording Kit) from the MXL Microphone division of Marshall Electronics. It comes with a large diaphram mic, a desktop stand, and a carry case. The mic can either be self powered (9 volt battery - included) or phantom powered. It plugs straight into your mic jack on your laptop. I have had good results with mine. A couple of places have them - I got mine at the Guitar Center.

PS I use Audacity software on my laptop with that mic.
Gary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Field recording set-up? Reply with quote

asnively wrote:
Ideas?

My "day job" has me on the road occasionally. My setup at home is perfect for the road.

Apple G4 Powerbook
MBox
Shure SM7B

I even recorded on vacation during Hurricane/Tropical Storm Ernesto. You can kind of see the equipment at the bottom of the picture.

Cheers!

-gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: