VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

recommendation for accceptable in-ear phones for reference

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vox1
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: recommendation for accceptable in-ear phones for reference Reply with quote

hey, lost some old notes on this but looking to travel very light with a minimalist kit and ditch the usual closed ear sony cans --in favor of reasonably accurate / flat and truthful in-ear 'buds' - ahy suggestion on an affordably priced set that i could rely on for playback reference on the road, that arent hyped or colored in response?

thanks as always!!

mike

Saying something since 1970-
something
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you'll find any that aren't in some way hyped. I don't think these are typically made for anything except music. I have a pair of custom in ear monitors, but they are not flat and accurate. Sure sound good when I'm using them for music though Smile Makes mowing the lawn a great audible experience!
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also looking for quality in-ear phones. I just posted and then deleted as soon as I found your original post.
Anyway, I currently have some Sennheiser in-ears that are okay but I too am looking for quality 'in-ear' reference headphones. My Sennheiser's are older so I'm not sure of the model number.
For music, I've found that my Etymotic in-ears are fantastic and not HUGELY expensive at $200. I put those in when mowing and looking for sound isolation and it didn't even occur to me until just now that they might also be really good for travel recording as (as previously mentioned) they're great at isolation and they give me (at least on music playback) a good representation of all frequencies.
Good detail on the highs, weight (without boom) on the lows and the mids are crisp.
I'll try my Etymotics for now but if anyone has any recommendations, I too would be interested.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's two of us with the same question this week and I'm thinking the answer is there are no earbuds that give great or maybe even good reference sound for VO. The problem I've found is that the audio in buds vibrates each side of your head in a way that adds all kinds of bass frequencies, unlike earphones which come at you from the outside and therefore are closer to most sounds. Medium to low quality speakers give you the best representation of how you'll sound to the majority of end listeners.

Earbuds are great for music because of the added "fullness" or bass notes, but I can't imagine that any could replicate a natural environment.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to my knowledge there aren't any out there that would be suitable for VO
monitoring. But something to also consider is that one's personal monitoring, whether phones or speakers, becomes the reference after enough use. As long as you have your system dialed in and calibrated to a true flat EQ for exporting files you can monitor how ever you want. However, it's never a good
practice to let your room or headphones fool you into thinking you're hearing something that you actually are not. And your performance may suffer if you think you're hearing something that's not actually there. IF you record flat and export without add'l processing it should matter what you use to reference yourself unless it influences your performance.

Last edited by MBVOXX on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a pinch I once used a set of headphones that I wasn't familiar with and had to edit some audio with them. I sent the audio over and the client was like, "something is really different about this audio...is there any way we could get a different read?" I went to a local Shiny Stuff Center and got some 7506s...woah...major difference. I would say that if you are able to spend some time with the in-ears and get to know them and their tone then you can probably use them no problem, but if you just try to use them when you go on the road and you plan on doing any processing, you might have some issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: