VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apollo Twin Solo: 1st-Gen vs. 2nd Gen

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Apollo Twin Solo: 1st-Gen vs. 2nd Gen Reply with quote

Curious if anyone's had experience with both of these units? I'm actually quite happy with my SPL Creon as my main unit, but I'd love to have one as a travel interface, and who knows? If it sounds better, I can always sell the Creon.

I've already found some great used prices on the MKii model (They're $700 new, but I've seen them go as low as $440) The 1st-gen models go even lower ($300 for the solo, $500 for the duo.)

So is the upgrade worth the added cost?
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, there is not really an internal change other than upgraded converters. I've heard both and I can't tell a difference, but I don't have a highly tuned ear with a pristine listening environment on the best monitors money can buy.

The big difference IMO is going to be the hardware interface (more access to certain features via button instead of software like a talkback button and mute button) and the option of a Quad processor version.

I personally went with the MKI Duo because I found one for $500 new. It's fully capable of producing top quality VO in the right environment. I brought it and my 416 with me when I went on an international trip recently and it was awesome to have access the same mic, preamp, converter combination that I use at home. I use the SSL channel strip and its expander and selectable HPF worked great for keeping my noise floor acceptable.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't find anything about the "improved" analog-to-digital converters beyond the fact they are "improved".

I know from my research that the iD22 I have uses Texas Instruments ADC chips that are cousins of the Antelope stand-alone rack mounted AD/DA converter units. Those units run in the thousands for conversion only -- no preamps.

Also, it doesn't appear that the MkII will allow total and complete preamp bypass. Yes, you can plug a mic preamp into the line inputs, but the block diagram (wiring/signal path diagram) shows your external preamp's signal still running through the MKII's internal preamp circuitry. Even if you turn the gain of the MkII's preamps to zero and use only gain from your external preamp, you're still passing your signal through the electronics of the MkII's preamp.

The iD22 does a physical bypass of that electronics and goes straight to the AD converter...avoiding any potential coloration the signal may pick up if it were to run through a built in preamp set to "0".

Nitpicky? Probably. The one awesome thing I really like about the Apollo Twin series are the Unison plugins thought built right in.

Then again, I'm looking at the Softube Console One MKII, which is a physical hardware controller that can run Universal Audio plugins like the Apollo. It has the added benefits of having real knobs/buttons to manipulate the on-screen plugins inside a DAW.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the updated converters are a huge improvement over the old ones. So more depth -- much more 3-dimensional.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great, guys! Thank you for your input!
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Daniel wrote:
I think the updated converters are a huge improvement over the old ones. So more depth -- much more 3-dimensional.

I don't know if "huge" can be used. Unless there was a quantum leap in technology, I doubt they are double the price better. We aren't talking a ton of money, but still.

Anyone close to Michigan wanna do a shootout in my studio?
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jason, Really appreciate the input. Looks like my best options are to go for a 1st Gen duo, or wait for the MKII prices to drop some more!

I hate that they totally got me with the sexy new "space grey" color!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: