VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Congrats to one of our own....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Congrats to one of our own.... Reply with quote

Laugh :mrgreen: Laugh

You may remember a post I placed in the work forum the other day for a national ad. You might also remember the producer's rant for it being posted. Well, what starts here apparently ends here. My day got off to the right start when I read from a fellow member that they won the audition!! I'm still grinning ear to ear!! Goes to show you, good comes out of the (publicly) worst situations....

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Kev!

We should have a 'voiceover bouncer' - and I nominate you.

"Speak to Kgenus" we'll say!

Actually, we should form a 'Mob' of sorts. Instead of face-to-face (or email-to-ISDN confrontation), we have 'contacts' that can "flip you over like a cheese omlette" if you screw anybody on this board.

actually.....not a bad idea.....

By the way, heads up Charlie C, Kitstern, and Connie - I'm seriously thinking of driving down the Western Coast and bugging you for brunch or massive drinking binges (whichever comes first). this summer. Don't you go changing your email on me now...
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Kev, any suggestions on how to deal with a friggin' non-pay who really has me pissed off.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I asked this question, the guy answered saying, "who d*cked you over so bad you want to give them bad credit?" You're running a business, treat it like one. As such, having an Employer Indentification Number (EIN) is a requirement and gives you the opportunity to obtain access to so many resources and tools.

We're usually so busy looking for creative agencies, we often forget to check out the most important agency, the financial agencies, like the Credit Reporting Agency and all it's buddies. When a day turns into a week and week turns into a month and you still haven't been paid, don't call them, give them a reason to call you.

With an EIN, Experian and Equifax will consider you for membership. You get a bunch of services, one of which allows you to report fraudulent payments so it shows up on the "previous" client's credit. This, of course, assumes you have kept good records and can prove they requested the work. As an individual this seems very harsh, as a business it's just that, daily business.

I believe people know when they hire you what their intentions are especially when they agree to pay you $XXX amount. In the end, they'll certainly pay you when they need a loan to buy a house or a new car, or worse, when they find they're our of the running for potential jobs because their credit ratings are coming back as high risks.

Kevin
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe people know when they hire you what their intentions are especially when they agree to pay you $XXX amount.

Wise words.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgenus wrote:
In the end, they'll certainly pay you when they need a loan to buy a house or a new car, or worse, when they find they're our of the running for potential jobs because their credit ratings are coming back as high risks.

Other than sloppy typing, I really should clarify this. A couple years back I took some classes with an engineer. We started talking about which side of the glass it was better to be on. As a studio owner, many of these people take out large loans to pay off the gear you're voice is recorded on. The drawback was losing jobs because you're so far in debt on the equipment that corporations won't take the risk because you might fold before the project is done.

And... that's exactly what happened to that studio.
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Congrats to one of our own.... Reply with quote

kgenus wrote:

You may remember a post I placed in the work forum the other day for a national ad. You might also remember the producer's rant for it being posted. Well, what starts here apparently ends here.

Kevin,

I didn't see the original post nor the rant - is it still around? I like a good rant every now and then.
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev, man your good! Great stuff.

Quote:
I believe people know when they hire you what their intentions are especially when they agree to pay you $XXX amount. In the end, they'll certainly pay you when they need a loan to buy a house or a new car, or worse, when they find they're our of the running for potential jobs because their credit ratings are coming back as high risks.

My only arguement is that a lot of producers, studios, agents, etc., are victim of their own (demise), and do not hold a house or fancy car, etc.,another reason why you should work WITH them to help you (& them) get to where they want to go.

I DO know that engineers, producers, agents, directors, don't necessarily have the upper hand, although it seems like it.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O'Neill wrote:

I DO know that engineers, producers, agents, directors, don't necessarily have the upper hand, although it seems like it.

Hey Dennis,

I believe you can always help people, you just have to help those who are already helping themselves. It's a win win situation that way. I still always ask three questions: "Who get's the invoice for this job? What's the mailing address and phone number? Is there an email address?" Now when they say, 'Stew Pidass' the red flags start flying."

Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: