VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio Book Demo
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input, Don!

I know I have a long way to go. Can you think of any kind of "entry level" types of gigs for audio book narrators? Audio pamphlets, maybe? (ba dump bump)

As to the technical aspects of the recording, The Gain is still at max, but I turned off the Boost button and used Normalize and Noise Control in post which I hadn't done in the first one. Like you said, the problem now is that it's too quiet. So, does that mean this is just a level setting problem or is there etill inherent noise coming from somewhere in my system?

When you say soundcard, does that refer to my Presonus Inspire 1394? I read the Voice Actor's Guide to Home Recording but I'm still a little fuzzy about the terms. Preamp, mixer, and soundcard seem like they're synonymous sometimes and sometimes they're not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to double post, but I've put together my first pass at the completed demo. Please give a listen:

www.tomdheere.com/Demos/AudioBookDemo.mp3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
donrandall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know I have a long way to go. Can you think of any kind of "entry level" types of gigs for audio book narrators? Audio pamphlets, maybe? (ba dump bump)

You probably don't have as far to go as you may think. In my opinion, your approach and style are very pleasant and you are easy to listen to.

Before anyone that produces e-books can hire you, they need to know that you exist. They are unlikely to simply stumble across you as a matter of coincidence or fate. I would think an email with a link to a demo would be the way to go. (Do
not send an attachment, because that tends to plug up someone's email and then they ain't a gonna be real happy.

Be ready to travel if called - it is likely that you will be required to record in the producer's studio. I have had to decline two very nice offers recently because the travel was not convenient to my schedule and they were not agreeable to having me record here and send the audio on compact disc.
donrandall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When you say soundcard, does that refer to my Presonus Inspire 1394? I read the Voice Actor's Guide to Home Recording but I'm still a little fuzzy about the terms. Preamp, mixer, and soundcard seem like they're synonymous sometimes and sometimes they're not.

Your presonus is your soundcard - you are using it instead of the onboard card that came with your computer, right? I don't know about your particular unit, but many firewire and usb units also include one or more mic pre-amps, which means they are not merely a one-trick pony.
There is some way to specify the Presonus as the only input and disable the onboard card and you have done so, right?

A mic pre-amp is responsible for boosting the extremely low signal from a condenser mic so it can be at a useable level. If you are using a dynamic mic, make sure you have the phantom power turned "OFF". Theoretically, it should not matter, but I am told that it could cause noise problems when using a dynamic mic.

In the most simple terms, a mixer is a device for combining signals from two or more sources and feeding them to one device. Of course things are not always that simple, and many mixers also have a mic pre amp - or multiple mic pre-amps included. Again, such a device can serve more than one purpose.
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Presonus is my sound "card". I still need to get used to referring to a "box" as a "card". I am a bear of little brain, you know. And yes, I disabled the sound card in my PC and designated the Presonus at the mic input and the sound output.

I am using a dynamic mic and the 48V aka phantom power is turned off.

As to marketing, a compiled a contact list from the Audio Publishers Association (APA) website and started the ever-so-fun cold calls. So far I've only called east coast companies but you're right, I should branch out.

Thanks for all your help!
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've been working on the demo and this is the latest version:

http://www.tomdheere.com/Demos/AudioBookDemo.mp3

I now use Adobe Audition and I utilized everyone's input. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rognog wrote:
Please let me know what you think.

Tom,

I think you've done some really good work here. I don't know that I'd personally post a demo that long, but it's all good so the tough part will be picking which pieces to remove. (If you decide to make some cuts.)
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
donrandall

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that you may have overcome the signal to noise problem. The level of your signal is now higher, which means that the ambient background noise doesn't intrude quite as much. I was playing around with about a minute of your audio, where you were near the end of the prison story and transitioned into the next. I could use the denoiser in Goldwave to clean it up and make the background noise go away. I also tried it with a noisegate at -40db (instead of the denoiser, not in conjunction) which also worked well enough. Also, if you listen to the end of the prison story segment, there is a noticeable flaw. It sounds like you may have turned away from the mic for a second or so. I would recommend that you edit that part and make it go away before presenting it as an audition.

I was listening to the XM channel that plays audiobooks today while out running some errands. I was able to catch parts of a couple of different audiobook readers. You are every bit as good as the one and - in my opinion, of course - better than the other.

Stay with it. I really like your style and I believe it will happen for you!
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

I listened to this demo because I was interested to hear the demo that won you that great Danielle Steele Audiobook job. I really enjoyed it.

Is the length of this demo the standard for Audiobook demos in general? Also, did you simply pull material from some favorite books for this?

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: