VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I look fat in this mic?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Do I look fat in this mic? Reply with quote

I've been using a CAD E100S for a few years now and am happy enough with it. But I am also an idiot who doesn't understand "if it ain't broke don't fix it", so I've borrowed an AT 4040 for the weekend to see if I like it better. I've heard people complain that it is boomy in small spaces, but it actually sounds LESS boomy than my current mic to me. My wooden ears are too full of sawdust methinks. Here is a brief bit of speech recorded on each mic. Do either (or both) sound boomy to anyone?

https://soundcloud.com/andrew-fogarasi/regiboomy

https://soundcloud.com/andrew-fogarasi/ujboomy

edited to add screenshot:

And I just made a snazzy graph of room noise from each mic. I did this several times with different snippets of silence and the shape came out more or less identical each time - the AT 4040 graph is on the left and it does indeed show a upwards bump on the low end (around 100 hz) every time. But my ears still think it's less boomy.

(click for a larger image)

dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither sounds boomy to my ears in my room. Just different tools for different jobs. In my humble opinion I'd think regiboomy better for narration type stuff; the ujboomy read would perhaps sit better with a music bed for on-air production. You can never have to many mics.

dwpthe3rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: