VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Source Connect Now vs. Standard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil K. Hess
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Source Connect Now vs. Standard Reply with quote

So I was reaching out to potential clients, and I was in a discussion with a producer discussing source connect now vs standard, and he had this to say:

"If I am correct, you use SourceConnect Now for live sessions. We are currently only adding talent with ISDN or SourceConnect (standard or pro) to our roster. In the last year we have had too many problems with ip based connections."

I'm just wondering if you all have seen or heard many objections to source connect now recently? I'm considering getting standard. It's an investment, but looking like it may be well worth it in the long run.

Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something about the connection stability with SCNow that's not on par with Standard or others. It's an alternative to skype though.
If you are recording it's ok to have someone direct but not as good the other way around.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether it is still true or now just legend, Source Connect NOW has had enough problems, failures, and dropped calls that most recording studios won't use it. SC Standard is becoming the standard for Internet voice connection as ISDN slowly, very slowly, fades into the sunset. ip/DTL is a fairly popular alternative but not as widely adopted.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
jim edgar
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've definitely been seeing more projects being explicit about potential talent having Source-Connect.

My sense is that it's not so much an objection to SC-Now as it is the next phase of studios letting go of ISDN.

SC-Now is a nice easy way to get heckuva-lot-better-audio-than-skype - but none of the browser-based options have the repair tools of Pro-level SC.

I think it's just the phenomenally slow process of the studios getting comfortable with SC.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting repeat of a discussion going on over at FacePlant. The general consensus (well, my opinion) is that Source Elements really messed-up when they called their Chrome-based product "Source Connect NOW". It has diluted their brand immensely and caused all sorts of confusion.

To clarify:
Source Connect Pro and Standard are proprietary end-to-end protocols that have a good reputation with studios and production houses because of their quality. Standard should be all that any talent requires. Monthly fee ($35?) or outright purchase ($600?). Many studios, in the wake of ISDN becoming more difficult, have specified Source Connect (standard or pro) as the only viable alternatives.

Source connect NOW, is a (free) Chrome browser-based real-time communications platform. It uses the same technology as ipDTL, BodalgoCall, and others. It is absolutely fine for conducting a directed session (as is Skype)... and some people say it's good for remote end recording... others disagree vehemently (see above).

It does not matter one jot what we (as talent) think about the relative merits of the products... we can argue around in circles until we're blue in the face... all I know is that three of my major clients have now specified Source Connect as a viable alternative to ISDN... but NOT any of the browser-based products (from whichever supplier).

Again, I think Source Elements really screwed-up with the product name. There has been brand dilution and customer confusion since they did it.
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw (and responded to) that thread on FB.

Here's my take. You need what the studios want. And it is a heck of a lot cheaper these days to be prepared.

If you wanted to differentiate yourself back a few years ago - OK, 20 years ago - you had to invest thousands of dollars in an ISDN codec and then pay the monthly line fees (2 lines). My costs for ISDN since getting it installed about 20 years ago are probably close to $20,000 when you include the occasional long distance charges. I also have a Gentner phone patch connected to my recording booth - and frankly I don't remember what I paid for that.

Today you can get SC Standard AND ipDTL AND even the newest kid on the block ConnectionOpen for about the same amortized over 20 years. If you just go with SC Standard and ipDTL, then a lot less than that.

It is a cost of doing business. And we don't drive this boat.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnieTerwilliger wrote:
And we don't drive this boat.

This is so true. I find it frustrating to see the somewhat naive or arrogant attitudes show by some "professional" VOs. There are choices we can make... what equipment should I buy or how do I market, etc. But to think you can tell clients what equipment they should buy or services they should use just because you've drunk the ipDTL Kool-Aid (or whatever) demonstrates an over-inflated opinion of where you sit in the overall scheme of things.

This whole remote connectivity issue has brought the worst out in a lot of people. We know ISDN is slowly going away and the vultures are circling... but recently I was appalled by a company who advertised an ISDN bridging service so the talent could connect to a client without having their own ISDN. I understand that this can be used and some clients will accept its use... however, the company's pitch was that the client need not even know! This is duplicitous and encouraging talent to downright lie to their clients. Is this what we've come to?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISDN - Should a company require it of a Voice it is either going to take a while to obtain or the voice hires a studio. All the new breed of tech is ready to rock in the time it takes to make and drink some tea and eat a slice of Victoria Sponge.

So far, since the death of ISDN I have not been asked for anything other than ISDN. I signed up for IP Yodel Lay ut-ee at £36 per month and after two years I cancelled, I simply lost £720 which was a cost of not doing business as I did none.

Procomm Studios would like me to have Sauce Contact (cost £650?) and I'll get it on the day the session is requested or when I feel like "investing in my bidnizz"
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To paraphrase Erik Sheppard... "I've had my suit laid out for ISDN's funeral for ten years now... it ain't happening." Admittedly, he said this five years ago... but I guess his suit has been ready for fifteen years now. However, in the US it is clear that it is on the wane... AT&T have started jacking up the price (in some cases to more than $800 per month) and Verizon, while holding their price (I pay $85 per month) have declared that they will install no more new lines. For some busy production houses in AT&T areas, their multiple lines are now costing (possibly) ten times more than they used to. This has obviously prompted a cost/benefit analysis and a search for alternatives that are viable in a production environment.

Source Connect is the most favored option. I bought it outright when told that my client was ditching ISDN and needed me to use SC. The on-going series of promos just booked with them was worth more than a dozen times the cost of the SC purchase. As a business decision... this was a no-brainer. The decision was a reaction to a client request. On the other hand, I also subscribed to the "very popular" IP solution that was being pushed (far too) hard a few years ago. Like Philip, I dumped it as I did not have a single client request to use it. Not one. Nada.

We don't make the decisions. For me (in the US) Source Connect was a necessary (and beneficial) investment prompted by a client need. I spent an equivalent amount on a subscription that proved useless... because I wan't servicing a client, I was servicing my misguided perception as to what my clients would want... and I was a victim of peer pressure from other VOs jumping on the bandwagon. It was an expensive lesson... but at least it was a tax write-off.
BALKY
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HIYA!

Happy upcoming holidayssss Smile

I have not been on here for a while...

I purchased SC Standard as a new "something to play with" Smile I've had a few gigs with it. I like it a lot. Though on mac there's a trickier set up than on Windows.

As far as SCNOW goes, I use it strictly for my internet radio: remote hosts connect through it - and I should tell ya - I love it. They hear STEREO out of my studio, I hear host's voice in mono... all is dandy as long as the internet connection is good. It is important for a remote host to hear music beds and have this feel of live broadcast... It is 100 times better than skype! 100% better.

I use stand alone app for SCNOW as a regular chrome browser gave my CPU lots of spikes. Google keeps changing crome ans source elements do not catch up.

Stand alone version works quite well Smile

So, there! my take on this Smile
Greeting: https://vimeo.com/216249549
Source-Connect: voservices
VIDEO: https://vimeo.com/channels/russianvoice
AUDIO: http://audio.russianvoice4u.com
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pavel! Glad that SC and SC Now are doing their respective jobs for you.

I was an IP pusher - but it's a great podcasting tool, not a great production tool. SessionLinkPro is the best of that lot because you can use video playback too, but it still has dropouts.

I got SC and dumped ipDTL this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: