VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The award for best VO demo is .....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
Bob Bergen wrote:
It’s done nothing to further my career. But it sure is cool!

Hey, it's cool just to be able to say you know someone whose been nominated. But I'll bet those nominations were for actual work you did, not for your auditions. cool

Very true. But to give some perspective, for many years The Emmys had “best personality/best newcomer/most promising Emmys.” Took almost a dozen years before their competition resembled anything we see today. They just needed to find/figure out how to honor television. All awards take time to find their footing. And it’s a constant. The Oscars introduced “best most popular film” this year, until members made so much noise they reversed their decision. Which just goes to show all awards are a work in progress.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking at the category on the SOVAS site, it seems it's to recognize the voiceover performance (Best Voiceover), not the demo itself. I don't mind this so much as compared to "Best Demo." At least they are celebrating a performance. And anybody who's been in a demo session can tell you, they can be very stressful having to switch hats every few minutes. To pull off rock solid reads back-to-back displays not only skill but preparation and professionalism.
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
All awards take time to find their footing.

And to add some perspective, there are also plenty of awards shows that lose their footing. (Some have an impressive life span, some don't):

The CableACE Awards (1978 - 1997)
Soap Opera Digest Awards (1984-2005)
American Comedy Awards (1987-2001)
American Television Awards (1993 only)
The Blockbuster Entertainment Awards (1998-2001)
Family Television Awards (1999-2007)
Vibe Awards (2003-2007)
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, Doug. Cable Ace died because The Emmys began recognizing cable. Soap Opera Digest Awards died because networks kept canceling soaps. Etc. And yet there are more award shows today than ever before. The audiences are down due to the vastness of viewing choices. Yet most PrimeTime award shows still rank in the top 10 or higher. Television needs to reevaluate what is considered a good rating. Gone are the days of 3 networks.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who on earth would simply invent an award or accreditation for our business and expect it to .....

Wait! I didn't think that through.
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"And now to the award for best business card...."
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... with content up and audiences down, we get more award shows. Funny that. If I were the cynical type, I might opine that at the lower and middle levels where the shows are not institutionalized or "too big to fail"... there are more awards shows because the whole enterprise is a valid and workable money-making endeavor. None of this "we wanted to add some glamour to the world and recognize people in an under appreciated field" BS... there was an opportunity to make money and it was taken. Nothing fundamentally wrong with that... I mean, everyone is doing it. It's just another way of surgically extracting cash from a VO's wallet. Caveat emptor. As long as nobody actually ascribes any value to these things. I mean, even I have a nice chunk of engraved glass... in a box somewhere.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as for the money made by the producers who do these vo awards, you’d be shocked how little they make. It takes an entire year to produce. Like The Emmys you start next year's show the day after this year's. Unless a show gets a network broadcast it is not very profitable for the producers. I don’t get paid a dime to Exec Produce The Creative Arts Emmys. I chair The Awards Committee as part of my work on their Board of Governors, which is a volunteer position. I spend far less time than what is needed to produce these vo awards, and trust me, I spend a lot of hours! This is a hard job!
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier this morning I was working with a photographer, his job was to provide the images to accompany a glossy weekend "Oh Quentin, do you see who we missed at Glyndebourne this season!" magazine.

As he snapped we chatted. We talked about how our professional world's kept moving and how some people wanted to hang on to something for fear of being unable to move on to nothing.

"In terms of keeping yourself out there" said Jason "you should always have a common reference point that will always be yours!" Perfect. No one cares about much these days especially if they can't hang a hat on it.

Jason has global press photographer credentials with real world "Wow! Really?"

His photo of an infamous serial killer,post crime, was the first photo to be taken and seen all over the world.

"No matter what happens" he said "no matter what is taken away from me. I will always have that!"
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
If I were the cynical type,

But, of course, you're not. Sarcastic
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
Who on earth would simply invent an award or accreditation

I am so looking forward to the first annual OAVies.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be held at The Cullen Bay Hotel! It would be awesome!

On a serious note, I made a decision earlier this year to remove VO events from my menu. On a business level they make no sense at all apart from the odd moment of serendipity. Someone usually wins the lottery but that doesn't make it a sound business decision. On a personal level it's an INTP thing.

Awards et al? Pick a reason.

I like 'em
I want to attend

Any "justifications" can be picked apart on a professional level like a huge green electrified picky thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: