VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The absent voyage of discovery

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: The absent voyage of discovery Reply with quote

I've been probing and tinkering and testing. There is jargon I could use but no one really cares.

My voyages of discovery ended a few days ago. I probed, tested cajoled, teased, informed, entertained (I hope). SEO'd and attempted to directly engage.

Conclusion? What we believe or are told to believe about social media as a business tool or as a life enriching tool is not supported by a single grain of truth. NOT ONE. The only way one can try to get business is by the sheer weight of numbers and the same is true of building relationships. Serendipity is not science.

Happy to have a long conversation with anyone who would like the full voyage deconstructed. Conversation thoroughly recommended for anyone who has trouble sleeping.

In narrow terms, here's what I found as it applies to those who try to make a bob or two from the heady world overs we call voice.

https://vimeo.com/337688650
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bumpy ride for you from there to here. I'm glad you've made it and I'm glad you're here.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's to today.

Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just now woke up. No coffee yet, only the flashes of a dream I believe was an interpretation on a comment you made in your video.

It was a VO workshop. Karen O'Bryant was standing in a dark studio booth and waiting to hear a critique of a read she had just given. The coach isn't in the engineer room, only students doing their best to make her feel good.

She then says "I can't live on candy! Give me something substantial that can actually help me improve or don't say anything at all."

Later, I dreamt the deceased Stevie Ray Vaughn was releasing a new album. He called it Standing on Candy because he knew no one would be daring enough to give him an honest critique for fear of public ridicule. He came back from the dead, after all. We should just be grateful.

My guess is you, Philip, are Stevie.

I need coffee now.
Karyn OBryant
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I got billing with Stevie Ray Vaughn! And Philip! Cool!

That's 100% how I feel about group classes. If I'm not going to get my butt kicked, I've just wasted my money. Classes are for improvement of one's craft, not to get one's ego stroked. (Needless to say, unless it's something really special, group classes are OUT.)

Enjoy your coffee, Dan. Smile

www.karynobryant.com
ricevoice
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once flew down to LA for a workshop where the featured "pro" showed up late, spent the entire time just propping up the participants' egos rather than giving useful feedback, then spent the final 10 minutes espousing his tinfoil-hat view of the internet and blockchain. Biggest waste of money I've spent on my career, and this is coming from someone who's spent quite a bit on P2Ps. Moral of the story: do your homework before you write that check.
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check please...
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The absent voyage of discovery Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:

Happy to have a long conversation with anyone who would like the full voyage deconstructed.

Hold onto that for a couple of months and we can have it in person. On your side of the pond.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilco
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: