VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gear for the Road
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
voicejones
Contributor III

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Gear for the Road Reply with quote

When I go on vacation I somtimes take a road rig so I can keep working. I use a Rode NT2 mic, an MAudio Duo usb interface and Sound Forge on a 5 year old Windows XP Laptop. It works. I'm curious what others are using for road gear.
JJ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Edo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used several rigs, but these are my fav...

PC:
-Dell Precision Laptop with XP Pro
-AKG C451 with CK1s and CK5 capsules
-FMR Really Nice Mic-Pre
-FMR Really Nice Compressor (on Mic Pre inserts)
-Sony Soundforge 8.0 / Waves Platinum Native plug-ins

Fruit:
- Apple MacBook Pro
- Rode Broadcaster
- Digidesign Mbox
- FMR Really Nice Compressor (on the Mbox inserts)
- Pro Tools LE 7.0
CWToo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dell Inspiron 6000, Pro Tools Mbox, a pair of older Sony headphones, and microphone du jour.
billelder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Dell Latitude "lappy" with a Behringer mixer, USB audio interface and the Studio Projects B1 or Electrovoice RE20. I take both. Headphones, and (the most important) a mouse. <g> VO work is hard just trying to use a touch pad.

I'm more interested in how you work "working" into a vacation/holiday?
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand the specs correctly, the new Sampson H-4 digital recorder can also be used as a USB digital interface directly into your computer.
That would make this unit one of the best ideas for complete portable recording around. It has built in mics if needed, pro connecters, compression, limiting, and phantom power. This is too good to be true. Anyone tried one?
voicejones
Contributor III

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill if it's a quick weekend getaway the gear stays home and it's truly a vacation. If we're gone for a week or so to see relatives or to the beach I take it and can knock out a few sessions. Being totally self employed vacations can be double whammy on the pocket book. The expense of the trip itself and the expense of not working. I had an old friend tell me, "Jim, vacation means leave the damn computer at home." Maybe someday....
JJ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voicejones wrote:
Bill if it's a quick weekend getaway the gear stays home and it's truly a vacation. If we're gone for a week or so to see relatives or to the beach I take it and can knock out a few sessions. Being totally self employed vacations can be double whammy on the pocket book. The expense of the trip itself and the expense of not working. I had an old friend tell me, "Jim, vacation means leave the damn computer at home." Maybe someday....
JJ

Tell me about it. Took the family to the beach for a week in August and I got one full day of vacation out of it. Nothing like spending time in a condo on the beach front doin' work. cool My wife was pretty PO'd at first till I showed her the money we'd lose by not working. She had a change of heart then. No vacation or sick days in this biz, but ya gotta love it!

Russ
verbcrunch
Contributor III

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to cut some voice tracks from Germany a couple of weeks ago. Used a Senheiser 416 plugged into an M-Audio microtrack. After recording, just transferred the files to the computer, got on the internet, and shot 'em out. The Microtrack will record .wav or .mp3 - since it WAS a vacation, i just recorded to mp3 and didn't spend any time editing or processing the voice track.

The nice thing about the microtrack is that it's a mic pre with phantom power AND a recording device, taking up about as much space as an iPod. You don't need to be plugged into the computer while recording. If it's a quick trip and you want to travel carry-on only, this is the way to go. Clothes, toothbrush, laptop, and studio - all in one carry on piece of luggage.

If space is not an issue on the road, I'd also bring an M-Box and/or Metric Halo ULN-2 with DSP. I have yet to purchase the "Booth in a Bag", but i want to get one - as all the recordings I've made in hotel rooms have been marginally useable. I think better sound isolation would go a long way to fixing that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jasbart
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

verbcrunch wrote:
I had to cut some voice tracks from Germany a couple of weeks ago. Used a Senheiser 416 plugged into an M-Audio microtrack. After recording, just transferred the files to the computer, got on the internet, and shot 'em out.

I take it you like the Microtrack. I just went by the website, and it looks impressive. How does the sound compare to recording direct into your computer, outside of the obvious soundproofing issues that arise in a less than optimum recording environment?

What size flash card do you use? Also, I assume you're adapting your Sennheiser mic down to a 1/4 inch jack?

Pretty fabulous little solution for the road warrior!

Jim
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the Microtrack.

Here's MacAddict's Review.
Solid.

Here also is the Edirol R-09.

MacAddict's review of that is in its most recent issue-- November. It's not online yet-- it got a "Great" rating.

The M-audio looks like it has more veritility with ins and outs.
The prices are comparable.
verbcrunch
Contributor III

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasbart wrote:
How does the sound compare to recording direct into your computer, outside of the obvious soundproofing issues that arise in a less than optimum recording environment?

What size flash card do you use? Also, I assume you're adapting your Sennheiser mic down to a 1/4 inch jack?

The Microtrack has balanced 1/4" TRS inputs, so yeah, i have a short cable that goes from XLR to TRS. I have a 4GB flash card (which was FULL ! i had to delete.. no idea how much sound i'd recorded - mostly the sounds of my really funny and cute 2 year old..)

I'm NOT totally crazy about the Microtrack for these reasons: long time to boot up, awkward interface, occasional glitches when switching from one input mode to another, and NOT world class mic pre's or A/D conversion (although it will do 48k/24bit) - but for the size and the convenience, it's unbeatable. Nice long battery life too - runs a long time before a recharge is necessary. Also - the ability to record away from a computer allows distance from noise sources (like the computer) . The Microtrack itself is totally silent.

The main reason i got this was to do field recordings (Kiss 108 radio listeners, and my 2 year old), but when i suddenly had to scramble to go to Atlanta, time was an issue, checking in luggage was not an option, suddenly the Microtrack became my portable studio. It'll interface with any computer that has USB, i don't believe any drivers are necessary - so you could even record on the road without bringing a computer if you simply have access to one. (i did bring mine).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
voicejones
Contributor III

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just use the Microtrac or similar device (no computer) how do you recieve scripts? In the hotel room the loaded clothes rack or a corner with pillows piled up deadens the sound pretty well especially if you can use a mic with a hyper cardioid pattern.
JJ
verbcrunch
Contributor III

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voicejones wrote:
If you just use the Microtrac or similar device (no computer) how do you recieve scripts?

Good point. I was able to print out scripts in Germany, voiced them later back at the hotel. But if you don't have a printer, I guess you'll be reading from the screen of your laptop, with the possibility of that computer noise bleeding into your mic. Don't see 'em here in the US much, but in Europe there seem to be "internet cafes" everywhere, so you can just rent a computer by the minute.
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard some great reviews of the Zoom Handyrecorder H4.
link to manual pdf
CWToo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voicejones wrote:
If you just use the Microtrac or similar device (no computer) how do you recieve scripts?

Have them faxed to the hotel front desk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: