VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guerilla Vocal Booth

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Guerilla Vocal Booth Reply with quote

So I finally broke down and ordered a Studio Projects C1 today. Hoo HAA!

Now I am investigating how to create a vocal booth or quiet space or something, so I can record something decent with my new mic when it comes.

I went searching through the archives here and on the internet and I've seen a number of interesting options.

In the best of all possible worlds, a custom built vocal booth or acoustic studio environment would be best. In my world, that is not yet possible so . . . would it be best to start with a box like this one:

or perhaps build a booth like as shown in this article.

Or maybe a half a booth like this one (I really like this one actually but is it effective?)

Here's one of the simplest designs I've seen

I also found an article on the internet about a Guerilla Sound Booth that had some interesting suggestions as well.

I even found one where someone makes a vocal booth out of a Rubbermade Roughneck Shed!

Also, is it better to use pyramid foam or wedge foam? Is the stuff available on eBay, FoamByMail and other as good as say Auralex foam? Do I need 4" foam or will 2" suffice?

Anyway, as you can probably tell, I am somewhat confused about the whole thing.

Thanks for any help.

Joe
Edo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you get rid of the nasty 'early reflections' you're safe. Using your ears is always the best approach. What it looks like comes afterwards. Make sure you catch all reflections BEHIND your microphone's capsule. Don't make obvious mistakes by creating a damping surface behind you. Also don't underestimate sound bouncing off your ceiling, as this is equally annoying to your aim for better results. Maybe there's some pointers in the review I did for SE's Reflection Filter, but let me state clearly I'm not advertising it in any way. http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2133

You might want to also checkout the materials and products on http://www.primacoustic.com/products.htm although they lack a bit on the 'design side' of things. It comes in all colours, as long as it's grey Smile
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting site. I especially like their "New York Voiceover Booth" packages.
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edo wrote:
As long as you get rid of the nasty 'early reflections' you're safe. Using your ears is always the best approach. What it looks like comes afterwards. Make sure you catch all reflections BEHIND your microphone's capsule. Don't make obvious mistakes by creating a damping surface behind you. Also don't underestimate sound bouncing off your ceiling, as this is equally annoying to your aim for better results.

Thanks for the advice Edo. I'm not sure what "early reflections" are. Also, I was confused about where to put the sound treatment, around the mic, around the speaker or both. I guess in the best of all possible worlds, I would build a booth that was completely sound proof. Barring that, the advice about puting the damping surfaces behind and above the mic is helpful.

I just purchased the following on eBay from FoamFactory. Other's on this board have recommended their foam.

2" Acoustic Wedge Foam
    48 - Pack of 2" x 12" x 12"

FREE (1) Can of Spray Adhesive (or substitute for 2 more tiles)
    FREE (8pk) 3" Corner Blocks 3"x3"x24" (or substitute for 4 more tiles)

Covers - 48 Square Feet

Foam Type - 100% Open Cell Polyurethane Foam

Color - Charcoal

Density - 2.0 lbs/cu ft

Flame Specifications - Class B, California 117 flame
    retardant, self-extinguishing

Now I need to figure out the optimal configuration for the foam. I'm not sure what the 3" corner blocks are for but I get 8 of them or I can substitute more foam panels.

Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated as always.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by kgenus on Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Edo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, I explained a bit more about 'early reflections' in the review of the SE Reflection Filter. This might clear up a few things. http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2133
If you have any questions feel free to ask..
CWToo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrodriguez315 wrote:
I'm not sure what the 3" corner blocks are for but I get 8 of them or I can substitute more foam panels.

Usually the corner blocks are bass traps (not the fish, the low frequencies). I'd get the extra foam panels instead.

I still recomend the portable sound booth from Markertek:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=PMB%2D2&off=4&sort=prod
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edo wrote:
Joe, I explained a bit more about 'early reflections' in the review of the SE Reflection Filter. This might clear up a few things. http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2133
If you have any questions feel free to ask..

I read the post. Very informative. Thanks for the "Acoustics 101" lesson. Interestingly, the Reflexion filter resembles this design, by Don G., no?

At any rate, I am receiving a bunch of foam and I want to use it most efficiently and effectively. I'll keep you posted on what my final design ends up being.
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgenus wrote:
jrodriguez315 wrote:
Flame Specifications - Class B, California 117 flame
retardant, self-extinguishing

FYI - "Some companies claim as CA-117 fire rating but this is NOT a Federal Standard, it is a class rating given to furniture foams, not acoustic foams, so don't get ripped off by claims of these so called 'fire retardant' foams." --SoundSuckers.com

I am more concerned with the acoustic qualities of the foam than the fire rating, but thanks for the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: