VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TC-Helicon Voice Pro

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jharper99

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: TC-Helicon Voice Pro Reply with quote

Does anyone here have or have any experience with the TC-Helicon VoicePro voice processor?

I am considering purchasing this unit and despite living in a large metro area (Minneapolis/St. Paul) it seems that no one that sells the thing has one that I can demo before coughing up the 3 GRAND for the thing (they are special order I am told).

Guitar Center had the TC-Helicon VoiceWorks on hand (a much less priced version of the above) and I got a demo of that (which was pretty cool) today, but if anyone has one or has any knowledge of this device I would be interested in hearing about what you know.

Thanks
Edo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried one at the IBC Convention in Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago. I was not very impressed with it as for that pricetag there are far better options. Also, the unit on display seemed full of software mishaps. The comment from the exhibitor was something like "this is the US model and it's supposed to run on different kilocycles than here in Amsterdam".

I read the user guide and found out later this is total nonsense, since the unit adjusts to various voltages and so on all by itself. Furthermore I am not a great fan of "drop-down digital format menu"-type of navigating a piece of equipment like this. When in the studio, I need to have WYSIWYG, so you don't lose valuable time, especially when the client is there in your facility wth you (happens from time to time).

If you're spending some three grand on a mic-pre, find yourself a nice tube pre. Brands like Tubetech, Summit Audio or TL Audio might make you very happy. Also, if you can get your hands on a used Yellowtec VIP1 processor (solid state) you will find there's magic at your fingertips for a mere 500 or so. This is an analog unit, beware of the terrible sounding 'successor' the VIP Digital...

I put a chain together from a Rode NT-2 mic, TL Audio 5051 and then the Yellowtec VIP1. My clients always think it's that major Euros consuming Brauner Valvet or Blue Kiwi microphone I used all the time. I have to be honest. I absolutely LOVE the Blue Kiwi, but the chain I mentioned just sounds way better... and at no more than one third of the cost too...

Suppose you have that killer microphone in your posession and you really want to spend three grand on a single pre... try the Millennia STT1. This is one thing I have been mouthwatering (is this correct English?) about for quite some time now. This is the best pre I've ever heard. You can choose whether you use the tube circuit, the solid state or a combination of both...

http://www.mil-media.com/docs/products/origin.shtml
If our Deir web mistress or any of the board members are interested, I could write a review on this pre in the learn section, there will be a testunit here in a couple of days.

If you just want to spend $3000 to improve your sound... a couple of suggestions here.

http://www.charteroakacoustics.com/products.htm
I tried the 538b (tube) and the E700 (fet)... awesome...
http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1693

I don't know obviously what type of mic you're using, but if you don't own a "Rolls Royce" microphone now, you could also consider buying a killer mic (do have a listen to Charter Oak if you have the chance!) and maybe a used Manley pre. It would definately be a much better investment than a three grand TC with lots of firmware flaws and unpleasant navigation.

But hey... it's only my opinion Wink
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edo-- you rock!

Last edited by asnively on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find this podcast very interesting. Mark Jensen gives all the knobs a turn.
I like the "Dude sounds like a lady" effect.
Could double your market if you can pull it off.

http://www.podsqod.com/2006/01/10/podsqod-19-tc-helicon-voicepro/http://www.podsqod.com/2006/01/10/podsqod-19-tc-helicon-voicepro/
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edo wrote:
Suppose you have that killer microphone in your posession and you really want to spend three grand on a single pre... try the Millennia STT1. This is one thing I have been mouthwatering (is this correct English?) about for quite some time now.

Edo,

I believe "salivating" is the word you were looking for, but I'm sure everyone understand your point without difficulty.

And I for one would love to read your review of this unit when you get a chance.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jharper99

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jowillie wrote:
You may find this podcast very interesting. Mark Jensen gives all the knobs a turn.
I like the "Dude sounds like a lady" effect.
Could double your market if you can pull it off.

http://www.podsqod.com/2006/01/10/podsqod-19-tc-helicon-voicepro/http://www.podsqod.com/2006/01/10/podsqod-19-tc-helicon-voicepro/

Thanks much for that link, it was very informative and useful to me. While the TC-Helicon web site has some audio demos they are nothing like what this podcast contains.

This may be the device I'm looking for.

Thanks again!
Jharper99

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edo wrote:
If you're spending some three grand on a mic-pre, find yourself a nice tube pre. Brands like Tubetech, Summit Audio or TL Audio might make you very happy. Also, if you can get your hands on a used Yellowtec VIP1 processor (solid state) you will find there's magic at your fingertips for a mere 500 or so. This is an analog unit, beware of the terrible sounding 'successor' the VIP Digital...

Suppose you have that killer microphone in your posession and you really want to spend three grand on a single pre... try the Millennia STT1.

I don't know obviously what type of mic you're using, but if you don't own a "Rolls Royce" microphone now, you could also consider buying a killer mic (do have a listen to Charter Oak if you have the chance!) and maybe a used Manley pre. It would definately be a much better investment than a three grand TC with lots of firmware flaws and unpleasant navigation.

But hey... it's only my opinion Wink

The TC-Helicon Voice Pro isn't a mic pre (at least according to the specs on their website) it is a voice shaper/modeler....kind of like an Eventide harmonizer that is specifically for voice. Thanks for the info, don't have 3 grand to spend on a mic pre and won't be doing so in the near future.

I have a couple of Rode NTB's, which probably aren't the best thing in the world, but I don't think they are garbage, either.

Thanks for your info on the Millennia STT1. What I am looking for is something that can make my voice sound different than it is so I can do imaging for my internet radio station. I will be doing voice tracking on it and don't want the imaging to sound the same as me (besides I don't really have an imaging voice).

I've tried the Voice123 routine and after paying someone $625 for some partial imaging in several different categories and being assured that they would finish my project they bailed by telling me that they "didn't want to do imaging anymore". I see a lot of gripes from voice talent about Voice123 but I wish to state that it isn't exactly easy for someone that is looking for talent to obtain quality talent either! Many of the people I've sent e-mails to don't even have the courtesy to reply to my e-mails, and NO I haven't asked ANYONE to do it for as little as possible either, or even mentioned price for that matter!

So why not do it myself if I can make my voice sound different? At least I know I won't quit on myself!
Gp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are looking for something to change your voice there are a couple of programs running around that you can download. I'm not sure of all the ins and outs on these things but the prices are very reasonable. A quick yahooo search of voice changer pulled up a whole bunch of stuff. http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=voice+changer&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Out of respect for Mr. Forssell Reply with quote

Last edited by kgenus on Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,
The time-change still has my brain a little fuzzy. Are you saying the Forssell units are probably truer to the intent of the purpose of the unit than the Millennia "knockoffs?"
I value your experienced opinion and the Forssell CS-1 vocal strip looks awesome. Are you saying this may be the preferred way to go to obtain the better results?
Thanks,
WE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: