VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Discerning Ear

View previous topic :: View next topic  
patfraley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jowillie wrote:

Would you agree that critical listening (hearing) is just as important to our final product as our vocal talents?

Wow. Discerning is critical. I don't know if this is what the question is about but here's something I recently wrote with regard to this subject

Frogs, Porridge, and Beds
We've all heard the old adage; “You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince.” Also, recall that Goldilocks had to sample all the porridge and beds to find the ones that were, “Just right.” So it is with voice over. You must address your abilities to discern. You need to explore your abilities at performing by allowing yourself to try the wrong way, to land on the right way of performing. It is a necessary journey, and if you don't play with the “Good, Bad, and Ugly” ways of performing and listening to other's attempts at voice over, you will not be training a discerning ear.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patfraley wrote:
You need to explore your abilities at performing by allowing yourself to try the wrong way, to land on the right way of performing. It is a necessary journey, and if you don't play with the “Good, Bad, and Ugly” ways of performing and listening to other's attempts at voice over, you will not be training a discerning ear.

Pat,

Allow me to offer this illustration of what you're talking about. During my audiobook master class with you, Hillary and Kimberly there in LA, one of the requirements was that I bring a "dialog" piece that would be included in my audiobook demo. I really didn't want to do this because my only real interest was in non-fiction audiobooks that wouldn't involve characters, dialog, etc.

I was uncomfortable with this excercise, but it was a requirement, so I did it. And now, 6 months later, I'm working regularly for an audiobook publisher who is sending me all these SciFi pieces with dozens of characters, dialog out the wazoo and is it ever stretching me.

If I hadn't leaped out there during that class in July, and realized that I actually could do this (at least a little) I would have probably have not found or even been willing to try to do this work.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobsouer wrote:
6 months later, I'm working regularly for an audiobook publisher who is sending me all these SciFi pieces with dozens of characters, dialog out the wazoo and is it ever stretching me.

Sounds like fun! Congratulations Bob! I guess that class really paid off huh!
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrodriguez315 wrote:
I guess that class really paid off huh!

Joe,

The following is only worth about as much as you're paying to get it! But, in my experience, studying with Pat Fraley is money in the bank.

I've been to 3 seminars with him now. After the first, my understanding of copy and characters improved a great deal. After the second, I was cast for two national projects, no doubt in large part because of the improvements in my ability to break down copy and figure out quickly how to approach an audition that I gained at that seminar.

And the third was the audiobook master class, after which it took less than 2 months to book an audiobook project, a massive non-fiction project I'm still working on and will be for a few more months. 2 months after that I made the connection with this SciFi audiobook publisher.

Like I said, money in the bank.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobsouer wrote:
in my experience, studying with Pat Fraley is money in the bank.

Every once in a while, I see a seminar coming to NYC by Mr. Fraley. While I do have the majority of his CD materials, I guess a live seminar would be a great career investment. Hopefully, I can earmark some funds next year for a Fraley seminar. This year is shot.
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrodriguez315 wrote:
Every once in a while, I see a seminar coming to NYC by Mr. Fraley. While I do have the majority of his CD materials, I guess a live seminar would be a great career investment.

I'll chime in as well to say there is no comparison. Being there is well worth the investment.

Besides, CD players can't answer any questions you might come up with. Smile

Just be sure to pack your best black-rimmed glasses.
VO-BB Member #59
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booyah.

Pat and Suzanne Ehly from Pat's Boston weekend in September:

Mary doesn't like this photo but I think it's teh k3wt:

and the one that started it:

Los Angeles, January of this year.
Dang. It's like salt-and-pepper shakers.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
teh k3wt

What means teh? What means k3wt?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's 133t sp34k.

Leet Speak.

for "The Cute".

That's you guys in that picture. The Picture Of Cuteness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: