VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When A.I. Vocalization Is A Good Thing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:47 am    Post subject: When A.I. Vocalization Is A Good Thing Reply with quote

Randy Travis can sing again:

From CBS Sunday Morning…

https://youtu.be/zM2UzZ4TVGw?si=seP4PHOK9gBU4a95

OK. That’s one good thing.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree! And it represents the definition of what our union contracts refer to as consent. This represents the next generation of residual profit sharing for the voice actor, as it is inevitable generative AI will use old content to create new content, which will continue to bring in revenue to the heirs of voice actors way after they have passed. Heirs have always profit shared on older content residuals, but we have never seen new content created from older content. This is the silver lining I have been talking about for the past few years regarding AI.
Fran McClellan
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! It's great to see AI being used for good. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go reapply my mascara after watching that.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
Heirs have always profit shared on older content residuals, but we have never seen new content created from older content.

I recall, quite a few years ago, somebody made a commercial, not with AI, but just with clever and skillful video editing, that incorporated a long deceased celebrity (Humphrey Bogart, or someone of that ilk) into the pitch. I don't recall whether the producers had negotiated with his heirs for the rights to use his likeness or whether this was the test case that brought about the decree that such compensation was necessary. But the concept is exactly the same.

I think this is a point a lot of voiceoverists seem to be missing. AI is a tool. The fact that AI exists and people are going to use it is not the issue. The issue is, whether the people whose voices and/or likenesses are reproduced retain control of those likenesses so that they are not used inappropriately and that the artists (or their heirs) are properly compensated.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I recall, quite a few years ago, somebody made a commercial, not with AI, but just with clever and skillful video editing, that incorporated a long deceased celebrity (Humphrey Bogart, or someone of that ilk) into the pitch. I don't recall whether the producers had negotiated with his heirs for the rights to use his likeness or whether this was the test case that brought about the decree that such compensation was necessary.

That is protected under The Fred Astaire Act, which basically states that a deceased celebrity's image or voice may not be used for new content unless their heirs give consent, which always comes with negotiated compensation. For a few years several in leadership at the union thought this would also protect and profit share when AI is used for the same purpose, but AI needs very different and separate laws and protections.
Mike Paul
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nice to see, thanks for sharing Bruce. For all the bad in the world, sure does feel good to see something like this happening. It would be super interesting to work on the production side of this.
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Randy Travis piece was both heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time.
Proves that AI is not 100% evil to our livelihoods.
Maybe just 90%
; )
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
For a few years several in leadership at the union thought this would also protect and profit share when AI is used for the same purpose, but AI needs very different and separate laws and protections.

I would have thought so, too. The principal is basically the same. I agree, if AI isn't covered by those existing laws, we need ones that do provide similar protections.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
Bob Bergen wrote:
For a few years several in leadership at the union thought this would also protect and profit share when AI is used for the same purpose, but AI needs very different and separate laws and protections.

I would have thought so, too. The principal is basically the same. I agree, if AI isn't covered by those existing laws, we need ones that do provide similar protections.

Correct! And much of this needs to come from legislation above and beyond SAG-AFTRA. The reason AI is not covered under The Astaire Act is because The Astaire Act covers existing work, images and voice. AI enhances and (or) manipulates this existing work. It goes so technically beyond, it needs protections that go beyond The Astaire Act. Our contracts are providing this protection and profit sharing for our work, but there are no provisions for deceased actors. The good news is this is aggressively being addressed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: