VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I S D N
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you've already got a solid sound card, recording software, mic & everything, and a high speed internet connection... wouldn't you just need to add the ~$800 software codec (with dongle, of course, to protect the investment)?

ETA-- Wait... you need an ISDN card, too... and an ISDN line installed. Hmph. What did I think it could use your regular internet connection? I'm oviously getting a couple of things confused.

My. Brain. Hurts.

Last edited by asnively on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy, Audio TX doesn't use the internet, it uses a dedicated telco line to transmit the digital data.

An ISDN line is a dedicated, super-clean data line.
That's why you need to live within a certain number of "wire feet" to the C.O.—no breaks in the line, or you need to lease a "repeater" to keep the signal strength up to snuff.

The codec— whether it's a Musicam Prima, a Telos Zephyr, a Roadrunner, or an Audio TX— takes the analog signal your studio creates and makes a digital signal out of it: a data stream.
The codec on the other end decodes that data into a (nearly or completely) lossless audio signal.
It's all transmitted via telephone lines. The ISDN line you have run to your house is a separate line from your POTS (plain old telephone service) line, and may be of better quality. Like Bruce said, it doesn't have to be copper wire, but it does have to a an ultra-clean line so nothing interferes with the data transmission.

fixing dod-durn typos

Last edited by Deirdre on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Deeb. I just got the initial impression that this software was a hybrid solution using ATM or DSL or something.

I am more than a little dumb about this as I have only used ISDN in a professional studio situation with real-live engineers handy and stuff...

Maybe I can just get away with a phone patch and go down the street to one of a bazillion studios (at $75 an hour) if I need ISDN...

brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Audio TX doesn't use the internet

Ummm... I hate to be the one to tell madame mistress that she's incorrect, however... well you know what I'm going to say!

If I've read the audioTX website correctly, they do in fact have a version that works over ip connections as well as ISDN lines...

AudioTX Website wrote:
AudioTX STL-IP IP codec provides for live audio transmission over IP networks with transmission grade audio quality & robustness and extremely low delays - as low as 5ms!

I'm not going to claim to understand anything about it, how it works or even if it works over ip connections, but with a little more digging and reading on their website, I'm sure one could wrap their head around it more clearly.

I may be wrong and could possibly have read everything backwards, therefore please feel free to slap me in the face with a wet fish if I have!

Happy reading.

Brian
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Audio TX site says "...over your existing IP connection" no ISDN line necessary...

Smile

Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me be specific:
The site may say that they use an IP connection, but
I haven't done a session with anyone who uses it that way.

I wouldn't trust an internet connection to maintain bandwidth.
That's what Frank is working so hard on with iSpeek.
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how much longer 'til we can get our hands on iSpeak? Frank?

I'm sitting here with a fist full of Voice Talking cash and I need to make a decision... do I wait for iSpeak?

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor corrections from my understandings:

You can use Audio TX in a way that sends the signal down the Internet instead of ISDN, but the person receiving your signal ALSO has to have a similar set-up, and since most people don't use Audio TX that way at this time, it's not a viable idea for VO talent.

ISDN is not like DSL in that you don't have to be fairly close to a switching station. It carries less signal (bandwidth?) than a DSL line so it can actually run quite a distance...almost anywhere in your local phone company's area, IF they want to play nice and connect it that way. They are similar in that both are digital signals sent down a plain old copper wire, but they are different species and don't talk to each other.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, when they talk about compatibility with the usual codec boxes, that is contingent upon using an ISDN line. Correct?

Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce--

I understood that you need to be within 11,000 wire feet of the CO.
Other sources say 18,000 feet.

2 to 3.5 miles from the CO. More than I thought.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB: With DSL yes, ISDN no...this according to my ISDN installer who installs them in stadiums and radio stations on the outskirts of the city.

Amy: Yep. For now it's ISDN to ISDN only, and broadband to broadband only. There's also POTS to POTS, but I won't confuse the issue*.

B

*For those who care, POTS to POTS involves sending a digital signal down a plain old analog line, but I gather the quality is considered by some to only good enough for remote broadcasts, and as with the others you have to have compatible units on both ends.
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce! That helps a lot!

Any word from Frank about iSpeak?

Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
DB: With DSL yes, ISDN no...this according to my ISDN installer who installs them in stadiums and radio stations on the outskirts of the city.

You can put an ISDN terminal anywhere, but outside of the wire-feet limit, you need a repeater.
For the end user, this adds a lease cost.

This is from a document published in 1997:
Quote:
During installation, the phone company will connect its end of the wire pair to digital equipment at the central office. Your end of the connection will be a plain phone jack that delivers what is known as the U-interface. The signaling conventions on the U-interface are designed to transfer data over a fairly long distance (up to 18000 feet), at a fairly high rate, on one pair of wires, in both directions at once, with rather crummy environmental considerations (it runs outside on telephone polls).[http://pclt.cis.yale.edu/pclt/COMISDN/ISDN.HTM]

This is from one published in August 2004:

Quote:
ISDN subscribers must be within 18,000 feet of the local telephone exchange in order to utilize BRI services effectively. Coverage beyond this distance requires installation of ISDN signal repeaters.[http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=5170]

Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Ispeek and Frank Reply with quote

I heard from Frank. He has been out-of-town for several days and is working on iSpeek and other exciting things we will hear more about soon. He should be back home soon.

greg@gregorybest.com
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I am back after an eventful week.

Amy, et al;

First and formost iSpeek is coming shortly, I have had a devil of a time with my coder person who is helping me on the project, but things are about to turn really terrible... and iSpeek should be available very, very soon.

Next, all of the above posts are essentially corect to some degree.
Audio TX Communicator, is able to use ISDN phone lines and the internet for delivering point to point audio. Yes, you can connect an ISDN box to an internet connection codec via a bridge (something not discussed prior).

Also; Telos, APT, Musicam and others have internet connectable boxes which run about $1800 USD.

There are several other companies such as "Source Connect" which offer a good internet to internet connection (but is difficult for novices to set-up in the beginning) using the ProTools DAW and/or a good DAW which has the ability use VST (Virtual Studio Technology, see: Steinberg VST) plugins; again, connectable through a 'bridge' to ISDN or other internet boxes and software. Or, Digital Musician Link available at: www.DigitalMusician.net

So did anyone miss me?

Toodles

Frank F
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: