VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Recall

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmysVoice

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Apple Recall Reply with quote

I went to the Apple site - independent of the email I received (dunno why anybody would spam about batteries, but ya never know...) - this one is legit:

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL

Dear Apple Customer,

Apple is voluntarily recalling certain lithium-ion rechargeable batteries that were sold worldwide, in systems and separately, from October 2004 through May 2005 for use with the following computers: 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook G4, 15-inch PowerBook G4. These batteries were manufactured by LG Chem, Ltd. of South Korea. Apple has initiated a worldwide exchange program and will provide you with a new replacement battery, free of charge. This program is being conducted in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and other international safety authorities.

Issue: The affected batteries could overheat, posing a fire hazard. Apple received six consumer reports of these batteries overheating. Apple urges you to stop using your battery and to order a replacement battery immediately. If you must temporarily use your computer with the battery, do not leave it unattended and check for signs of overheating.

Product: The recalled batteries include those with model numbers A1061, A1078, and A1079 and serial numbers that begin with HQ441 through HQ507 and 3X446 through 3X510. To view the model and serial numbers labeled on the bottom of the battery, you must remove the battery from the computer. The battery serial number is printed in black or dark-grey lettering beneath a bar code.

Please use the chart below to match your computer with the affected battery model number and serial number range. If your battery's serial number does not match the requirements listed below, you do not have to exchange your battery.

Computer model Battery model number Battery serial number range
12-inch iBook G4 A1061 HQ441-HQ507
12-inch PowerBook G4 A1079 3X446-3X510
15-inch PowerBook G4 A1078 3X446-3X509

What to do: To begin the battery exchange process, go to the Apple website at www.apple.com/support/batteryexchange. You will be asked for the serial number of your computer, the serial number of your battery, and a ship-to address. After serial number verification, a new battery will be shipped to you free of charge. You may exchange up to three batteries through the website. When you receive the replacement battery, please use the same shipping packaging and the included prepaid shipping label to return the recalled battery to Apple. If you do not have access to the website listed above, you can call Apple at 800-275-2273 between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m., central standard time, seven days a week, for further assistance.

Thank you for your cooperation with this exchange program.

Apple

Copyright © 2005 Apple Computer, Inc. 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA 95014.
All rights reserved / Contact Us / Keep Informed / Privacy Policy
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that. I got it too, but have been too busy yet to check the # of my Powerbook's battery.
AmysVoice

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAK, woman! That's all you need. Hoping you're *not* on the list...
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same model number, but the serial number is out of range, so all the heat I get from this Powerbook won't make it a splode, I guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: