VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Website and demo critique

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Website and demo critique Reply with quote

Okay,
Here's the demo...go ahead and submit your feedback. And thank you in advance!

http://robellisvoiceover.com/html/demos.html
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website... some of the fonts seemed very pale, and hard to read. The site itself is uncomplicated, but could be consolidated on one page... therefore eliminating the need to go to a Contact page or a Demo page. To me... things look better when they're all on one plate.

The demo sounded good, but long... 1:54? A 1 minute demo with shorter clips... not the entire commercial... could be more appealing. If you have any other commercial clips that present your voice in a variety of levels... emotions... intensities... variety... I would throw them in also.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey's spot on in the length department.

Where to cut? Spot 1, 2 and 3. All too long. As a matter of fact you could probably eliminate one of the first three entirely as the voice is pretty much the same in all of them.

And I was listening to the first three I kept thinking this sounded more like a demo for music beds....way to loud for my taste especially college funds.

The restaurant spot sounded ok but when I heard it was Wendys it didn't sound like any Wendy's spot I ever heard. If it was a local spot broadcast, fine. if it was a demo spot, pull it.

The Jamie spot was a bit different, I think I might put that one closer to the front.

On the site itself, you need to daren by 20-30% the words and slogans that are half toned currently. It an effective "effect" only if people can really read them. Making them strain is not a good idea.

Hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
donrandall

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob -

First off, I gotta say that I really, really like what I hear from you. You've got that very elusive certain "something" that makes you very listenable. I like it when, as a listener, I can understand every word and understand the message without having to work for it and especially so when it is delivered by one with such a terrific voice and appealing style.

Now - for other stuff: I agree that it would probably be a good idea to put it all on one page. That is merely my personal prejudice and on your web page, by golly, you get to do what you want.

I also agree that you could easily shorten the demo to around a minute and not hurt yourself a bit. You convinced me that you are a very effective spokesman for my product or service in the first few seconds.

You do have a bit of variety there, but you have stayed very close to the center of your comfort zone. Commercial messages are designed to sell, most sales - not all, but most - rely on emotion rather than an appeal to the intellect. So, think about the emotions and which of them you can weave into the story you are trying to tell anyone listening to you demo - that story is why they absolutely must have you voice their message!

Generally, you have two basic groups to choose from: A high energy approach and the more subdued approach. In each of those, you have a range of subgroupings. High energy could include the lunatic shouting so common on many car dealer spots or something that is simply very bright and cheerful, overflowing with joy and delight at the great deals on the latest whatsit being sold by whozit over there or the happy daddy playing with his child.
The more subdued spots could include anything from a wise father counseling his adult child on the wisdom of investing and saving for the future - or something as morbid as "final arrangements". With a little imagination, I am sure you could easily find a few more emotions to tweak. If you keep each chunk in your demo to around 10 seconds, to produce a 60 sec demo, you would need 6 chunks to display your mastery of selling the various emotions.

Now, I gotta figure out how to take my own advice because it's probably time to do something about my own demos!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: