VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else having trouble trying to FTP large AIF files?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Anyone else having trouble trying to FTP large AIF files? Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I cannot FTP .AIF files. The transfer starts, then hangs. I use WS_FTP Pro, but I've tried at least two or three other FTP programs with the same results. I have a dedicated server that I upload my files to, but I also cannot send large AIF files to remote FTP sites, either. My workaround is that I am able to transfer AIF files to my site via Webmin file transfer, but that isn't very convenient. I have no trouble sending other file formats via FTP -- just .AIF. I've checked my server MIME settings -- all clear.

Anyone else run into this before? I'm running a PC with Cool Edit Pro (Adobe Audition) 2.0.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

I recently uploaded a big batch of both .WAV and .AIF files to a directory on my server and had no trouble, so I don't think it's systemic across the Internet.
Any number of things could be the problem-- it could be net traffic.

How recently updated is your FTP Client?
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deirdre,

My current program is about 3 years old. But again, I tried using current versions of other FTP clients with the same result, so I'm somewhat baffled. Maybe I need to give it another try. Like I said, I have a workaround, at least, but it isn't the most convenient way to achieve file transfer.
steveanthony
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance antivirus protection or a firewall is holding it up? Have you recently updated any security programs? Some programs will check outbound FTP traffic before allowing it out. For example, there was a virus that overwrote aif files. Symantec/Norton has an update at http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2005-033009-1158-99&tabid=1

Seems odd, though, that they would hold up aif files. But it may be worth checking into.

Steve
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, that might have been it. I disabled my virus program before attempting an FTP of a large .AIF file yesterday and it uploaded just fine to my server. I seem to remember trying this before with no success, however, so I'm stumped. But at least, it worked the last time. Hoping for success the next time. It always seems to fail when I'm in a time crunch.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're ever in a pinch in the future, those free transfer sites, such as YouSendIt.com, could be a good workaround.

I dropped my account with SwapDrive.com since I found I can move the same files for free.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff! How the heck are you!? Been a while since you dropped by...
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd post a follow up with the solution in case anyone ever runs into the same issue. I solved it quite by accident recently when my Linksys Wireless G router decided to quit working and my home network was thrown into chaos.

I replaced it with a new Linksys Wireless N Router with storage, and one of the specs of the Wireless N is a 1 gigabit throughput, which I really never thought about until I was suddenly able to upload those large AIF files with no trouble whatsoever, with all the usual security measures up and running.

Why I could FTP large ZIP folders (the workaround) but not .AIF is beyond me, but the new router seems to have solved my old problem. I THINK. Who know, might have been something else all together. Strange. I'm just glad it's no longer an issue.
richgates

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

I know it is probably not useful to you now, but I wasn't around when your message was originally posted. There are a number of reasons why your ftp's could stall like that. The gigabit throughput you are talking about would only be on your local network. You are limited by your ISP's connection speed which unless you're on FIOS or something faster will be in the neighborhood of 128kb to 768kb upstream.

Without seeing a network trace it would be hard to tell you exactly what the problem was, but the TCP packet size being too big is notorious for causing problems. In addition, AIFF is uncompressed and archive files are compressed, so compression will affect how your network sessions are handled.

I would suspect that looking at the network trace would show a lot of packet retransmissions that would end up leading to a closed session eventually. Either way, glad to see that new hardware resolved the issue for you.
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rich. I appreciate the info in case it ever becomes an issue again. FYI, I've been running FIOS since early last summer.
ronharpervoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me on Friday. I usually don't have to work with AIF files, but that's what my client wanted. The transfer hung up with five seconds left. After a few minutes, I closed it out, and he downloaded it fine. Personally, I think it's an Apple vs Microsoft thing.
www.ronharper.com/blog
www.videosonyourwebsite.com
richgates

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronharpervoice wrote:
This happened to me on Friday. I usually don't have to work with AIF files, but that's what my client wanted. The transfer hung up with five seconds left. After a few minutes, I closed it out, and he downloaded it fine. Personally, I think it's an Apple vs Microsoft thing.

It really wouldn't be a Apple vs Microsoft thing. I've sent all kinds of files between OSX and Windows via FTP with nary a problem. The issue was likely an underlying network problem. Really the only way to diagnose these problems is through looking at a network trace to see where the breakdown in communication is occurring.
louzucaro
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richgates wrote:
It really wouldn't be a Apple vs Microsoft thing.

That's not necessarily true since many Mac FTP clients automatically encode uploaded files to MacBinary or BinHex which can cause problems on the receiving end of the receiving computer is Windows or UNIX based and not "expecting" to receive files in those formats. The reverse can also be true (sending files not encoded to MacBinary or BinHex to a Mac expecting them).

"Well, yeah, there's my favorite leaf!"
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
If you're ever in a pinch in the future, those free transfer sites, such as YouSendIt.com, could be a good workaround.

I use YouSendIt.com all the time, and recently for very large .AIFF files. It's terrific!

Last edited by asnively on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asnively wrote:
I use YouSendIt.com all the time, and recently for very large .AIFF files. It's terrific!

I second that! the one caveat is that your recipient has to register (free) to get the files.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: