VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else having trouble trying to FTP large AIF files?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richgates

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

louzucaro wrote:
richgates wrote:
It really wouldn't be a Apple vs Microsoft thing.

That's not necessarily true since many Mac FTP clients automatically encode uploaded files to MacBinary or BinHex which can cause problems on the receiving end of the receiving computer is Windows or UNIX based and not "expecting" to receive files in those formats. The reverse can also be true (sending files not encoded to MacBinary or BinHex to a Mac expecting them).

Which Mac FTP programs encode to MacBinary or BinHex? I've not used any. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but FTP is a file transfer protocol and I don't see anything in the RFC about BinHex or MacBinary.

Even if what you're saying is true, I don't believe it is applicable in this case. But I will revert to my original reply. Without seeing a network trace it is just people guessing what the problem is.
louzucaro
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Even if what you're saying is true, I don't believe it is applicable in this case. But I will revert to my original reply. Without seeing a network trace it is just people guessing what the problem is.

I'm not sure, although I think some versions of Fetch (maybe older ones??); but I run a small hosting company and I know some of our Mac customers will FTP stuff up to their websites (we host on Windows servers) and the files are "corrupted" and can't be opened / used afterward...and it's always the same people who have trouble with it.

Sadly, too, there's a big difference between the RFC for a protocol and people following it Wink

That said, I agree with you...a network trace comes in really handy, especially since it could be other things too, like spotty connections and either a client or server that isn't dealing with broken connections well, etc.

"Well, yeah, there's my favorite leaf!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: