VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISDN Or Not?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffk13057

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: ISDN Or Not? Reply with quote

So let's suppose you are a fairly new VO. You are building a really cool studio in the basement. You have not done any ISDN work yet, but have done some phone patch work. Would you go to the expense of having ISDN installed? The cost is (so far) $140 with a monthly charge of $40 and something like $.08 per minute. Just looking for some opinions. I think cheap enough, but wanted to see what you guys thought. Since I was building it, I thought it would be easier to do now as opposed to later.
Thanks in advance,
JK
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

If it were me I'd do it. At only $40 a month that would be an expense I'd take on to make sure I had it. To me ISDN is one of those "damned if ya do and damed if ya don't" type things. Might use it alot, might not. But rest assured at some point someone's gonna want you to have it or you'll lose a gig which as we all know can turn into more gigs down the road. Just my .02 but I'd do it.

Russ
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For today and for quite some time to come if a Voice Over artist wants to make a significant living and is not a celebrity then ISDN in a home studio is essential. Like anything there will be a few exceptions but they really are few and far between.

As always these thing come with a wealth warning. I know one man who set up a home studio with ISDN, he also had the same London agent as me; one year later he had earned $200 as a voice over.

Somewhere around mid December I had a call from a TV commercial production company. For a few years I have had a contract to be the voice of a major furniture retailer. Sweet contract for up 44 TV commercials per year, I was paid in advance. The producer told me that the client had told the largest commercial TV company in the UK where it could stick its air time ...... Bye bye contract.

I've just looked at my business figures for December 2006 and having lost a big contract one could resonably expect them to be down compared to December 2005. I'm happy to report that that was not the case and that I replaced one years fees in advance in 5 ISDN sessions. Forget the good luck aspect for a moment. I know that without the ISDN facility things would have been very different.

Circumstances vary but I'm certain that with ISDN a Voice Over is stacking the deck in their favour. I'd be interested to hear about a Voice Over making a significant living without it, I cant think of one.
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey,

I agree with you 99.9%. I wish I could get ISDN but I've been told numerous times by Bellsouth that there's no way I can get it in my area. I wish I could, I'd have it tomorrow. Maybe I just haven't hooked up with the right person yet. But you can make a good living without ISDN. I support a family of 5 very well with VO without ISDN. Of course some jobs are lost because I don't have it. But it is possible to make a good living without it. Don't get me wrong, I agree with everything Banksey said except that. I would prefer to have it. But Banksey asked if anyone was making a good living without ISDN so I figured I'd chime in.

Russ
jeffk13057

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. I thought that was what people would say. I probably would not spend the money if I wasn't building the room, but since I am doing that I figured I might as well do it when the doin' was easy. Thanks, now I'll have to decide what codec to settle on. Fun, fun, fun!!
Thanks, again!
Jeff K
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Banksey wrote: "...Circumstances vary but I'm certain that with ISDN a Voice Over is stacking the deck in their favour. I'd be interested to hear about a Voice Over making a significant living without it, I cant think of one."

Quote:
Russ chimed in: ... But it is possible to make a good living without it. Don't get me wrong, I agree with everything Banksey said except that. "

Banksey, I just had to let you know I do O.K. for a guy without an ISDN codec in my home. I too lost a major account this year, my client was bought out by their competition, who had wanted to get me to work with them for years - I chose not to work with the competitor... I got even, went with another competitior out of the area, and am making twice the money from the new client.

I have used my own ISDN codec alternative, "iSpeek" (no, it is not ready for "prime time" or release quite yet, still has some bugs) for a few things, but most of the time it's just me and my little home studio sending things out via .ftp or email.

Now, I am not what some would call a signifigant VO talent, (I am a "legend in my own mind" - does that count) by any definition, but I pay the water bill. I also am not the expeption to the rule either, I know many folks who do the same and do not own an ISDN codec. I am also located in the "sticks", high in the Rocky mountains of Utah in Park City, USA - another strike against me. So, my location has nothing to do with 'earning a living".

The advent of .mp3/.M4a's, reliable Phone Patch's, even technology such as VOIP, Skype, Yahoo Messenger, AIM, and MSN Messenger with voice - have changed the way VoiceOver Talent do business today. ISDN codecs are a tool. When used properly tools can give you an advantage over those who do not have the tool. It is all in how and whom you market towards.

Determine your client base, your client requirements, and needs. Focus on your work style and needs, and determine YOUR delivery methods. IF ISDN codecs or an alternative is needed, then by all means - get it today. If ISDN codecs or an alternative is NOT needed now, them by all means - don't get it today, but you may need to plan for something in the future as an alternative delivery method if your client base and/or needs change.

Oh, just a quick note: I have not yet lost a client because I did not have an ISDN codec at my disposal - that I know of... I have not gained any either. Not having an ISDN codec has precluded me from joining some online talent groups though - if that makes any difference.

Toodles

Frank F
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping to get the debate going and my thanks to Frank and Russ for establishing the fact that there is life without ISDN. Here in the UK if you don't have it you are closing the door on work from almost all commercial radio stations.

It depends on how a Voice Over chooses to work. If without ISDN people are giving you regular work now then it's a sure thing that you will get more if you have it.

The first thing to establish is whether people are buying you and then look at ways of opening new doors, ISDN is one of them.

Being an ISDN voice with one of the talent groups has so far got me no work but countless auditions.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Banksey wrote: "...If without ISDN people are giving you regular work now then it's a sure thing that you will get more if you have it. "

Thank you Banksey.

I beleived that to be so-o-o-o true a few years ago when I had an ISDN codec in my studios. What changed for me was I could no longer get ISDN lines to my downtown studio location or to my house in Park City. The Olympics came and everything went fiber optic. At that time I could either move my downtown studio three blocks (at an humongous fee for rent and other things) or do without. I chose the latter.

My radio Imaging clients did not change, in fact the numbers grew. My TV Imaging clients did not let me go and hire someone new (...some were unhappy, and let me know it).

I had to work smarter, not harder to keep things status quo. And, it worked.

Banksey, the debate would be fun, but as times change, so do the arguments.

DANGER! DANGER Will Robinson, DANGER!
===THREAD HIJACK===

With ISDN rates as low as those in the UK, I would likely try to have an ISDN codec again - if that was the case in the US, but I have found it just isn't necessary - for me. With alternatives such as: Source Connect, Digital Musician Link and (someday) iSpeek - offering lower rates/fees, location portablility, bridging to 19th Century ISDN codecs (yes, I know, they were not around in the 19th Century)... with as good or better quality and ease of use - the older type real-time connection (ISDN codecs) between studios and talent, will soon be a thing of the past. (...and the debate rages on...).

(Banksey - it may take me a while, but I eventually get there...hehehehe)

Toodles

Frank F
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who read what Frank has written carefully will understand why although there are basic common sense rules one must buy the proverbial suit of clothes in a size to fit you not me.

Like stage and screen actors there is a tendency among Voice Overs to believe that the next thing they buy, do or class they attend will open the door to the big bucks. For the majority this isn't the case.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
Those who read what Frank has written carefully will understand why although there are basic common sense rules one must buy the proverbial suit of clothes in a size to fit you not me.

Like stage and screen actors there is a tendency among Voice Overs to believe that the next thing they buy, do or class they attend will open the door to the big bucks. For the majority this isn't the case.

Philip,

I agree with you. In particular, I think your final comment...

Banksey wrote:
For the majority this isn't the case.

...is especially apt. I'd be interested to read your thoughts as to why this is so. My observations are:

1. Mere information accumulation isn't enough. One must also actually do what one has learned.
2. Some folks lack the drive, persistence, courage or talent to apply #1.[/quote]
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CWToo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
Here in the UK if you don't have it you are closing the door on work from almost all commercial radio stations.

It would be interesting to compare and contrast the voice over business in the UK with the US.

Before ISDN many UK talent would take long road trips from city to city to city actually going to studios to do their work. Am I close, Mr. Banks?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link that kind of explains both sides of the pond, and again, as Banksey says: (adlibbing here) "One size doesn't fit all..."

http://www.actorslife.com/ChrisFlockton.html

I do want to quote one part here...
Quote:
From Mr. Chris Flocton: "...I’ve encouraged promo and commercial clients to book me from my home studio. It saves them money on studio rental, and is far more convenient for me (I like recording in my PJs). We do the session over a phone patch, then I upload the files to an FTP site for them to retrieve. It’s actually very easy."

(This article was found from a link on a Yahoo Group board) NO, there is no other board! Just the VO-BB!!!!!

Toodles

Frank F
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
(This article was found from a link on a Yahoo Group board) NO, there is no other board! Just the VO-BB!!!!!

Frank,

I agree there's no other board. After all that interview is also available as a link through a post in the Chat section from Joe Rodriguez.
+1-724-613-2749
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops... Thanks Bob, Joe...

New Mantra: "...there is no other board only the VO-BB, there is no other board only the VO-BB, there is no other board..."

Embarrassed Frank F
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,

Thanks for the good chuckle this morning. And I agree, there is no other Board.
+1-724-613-2749
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: