VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone tried the Horch RMJ2 as of yet?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Has anyone tried the Horch RMJ2 as of yet? Reply with quote

Just curious...

I'm setting up an appointment in the next few weeks to audition this as a possible new addition to my mic locker and was curious if anyone had used these for VO purposes.

I know from experience that vocals and some instruments (at least every one I'd used on it) sounded awesome, but I haven't tried it on spoken word as of yet.

*sighs* If only I had cheaper tastes....

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this thread:

http://gearslutz.com/board/printthread.php3?t=27328

Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but that thread is too dated. Not only do they not go into VO in relation to the mic (remember, I've already used this, just not for spoken word), but since the time of that article, Horch has changed tubes that were used from the initial batch of the RMJ2 to the one that they are now using (I believe they switched from a Russian tube to a Telefunken in the latter half of 2006).

I've checked gearslutz, 3dB, recording.org, and prosounds and nobody seems to have ever thought of trying this one out for VO, which is a tad weird (I guess).

all that said, thanks for the link (didn't want to seem ungrateful) Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregory,

We understand that you will be using this mic for much more than VO, right?
The specs indicate a smooth, bright and open sound along the lines of the classic C12. Some voices would sound great on a mic like that. Others sound better on the "industry standard" Neumann U87.
There are lots of excellent choices in that price range. Have you ever used the Manley (Don LaFontaine's personal choice), Soundelux, Telefunken or others in that price range that have the C12 or 251 sound?
http://www.mercenary.com/hormtumi.html
If you don't hear from someone who has used the Horch, my suggestion would be to call a company that sells several similar mics and discuss the possibilities before you invest that much in it. Remember, most reps at better gear companies may know a lot about recording music and vocals, but have no experience with the intricacies of VO (Yeah, right!). They may be able to steer you toward someone that does.
I am really interested in what you find out. Let us know.
Thanks,
Willie E.
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jowillie, and I will let you know how I make out.

My impression of it was that it was very close to a C12, and it did sound really nice on vocals and instrument (from first hand experience). Sadly, I didn't get time to audition it for VO.

Mercenary seems to be the only place that really does the business with these mics, and that's where I'll be heading to audition this particular mic (alongside the UM75 and UM92.1). It's definitely a smooth and full sounding mic from experience, and I hope that it does the same with spoken word as it does with vocals.

I'm not keen on the Manley at all. A few years ago, they swapped the capsule in the mics and quite frankly, I was left unimpressed with the new ones as opposed to the older series (which were very awesome with my voice).

I definately agree that you gotta find the mic that's right for your voice, and despite the current fashion trend of bashing the U87AI, I happen to love mine. I also enjoy my 1974 U87, and my stereo set of U87s that Klaus got his hands on. Each had a tone that was good enough for an application that it was just worth spending the $ to purchase. The great thing about the U87AI on my voice is that it really captures the youth in my voice (which is a major selling point). However, having a bass - tenor 1 range, I'd like to be able to capture the lower registers a bit better, and while I can do this very well with a CMV-563, I was looking for something that did this without adding too much "honey" to the recording.

The 416 can do this to an extent, but unless it's a hard sell, I don't feel enough coming through.

So, in a nutshell, it looks as though Dave and Fletcher and I are going to find some time during Anime Boston to sit down, have some scotch, hit the booth and audition some mics.

There are worse ways to spend your weekend Bitchin

Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, in a nutshell, it looks as though Dave and Fletcher and I are going to find some time during Anime Boston to sit down, have some scotch, hit the booth and audition some mics.

Who are Dave and Fletcher and what are you doing at Anime Boston?
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave and Fletcher are the two guys behind Mercenary.

As for AB... might be doing a panel on AVA/ADR recording, at the least I'll probably helping out some friends from Funimation.

Why... are you going to be there as well?

Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, shoot--I'm gonna be thinking about it, now!!

I went a couple of years ago as an atendee just to see "the sights" and meet some of the VO fellas.

I live about an hour and a quarter north of Boston.
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, I'm dragging some of them with me to Mercenary. I think Troy Baker will probably come with us (he's still drooling over the mics I brought for a few panels and some additional recordings at Otakon). Knowing Travis Wittingham, if he isn't doing something and has time might tag along as well (not much as much of a gearhead as Troy).

Thankfully, I'm not into the whole otaku thing as of yet (despite having been involved as a fan since 1978), so we'll probably take Friday night off and see a Red Sox game.

Despite urging of friends in the industry, I'm not one of the anime VAs. Location and pay keep me out of that game. Still, it's a lot of fun if you can find the work. Laugh

Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be cool if you both could record a few A/B mic tests? D's C-1 sounds good, but--you never know what you may find. Sounds fun.
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jowillie wrote:
Wouldn't it be cool if you both could record a few A/B mic tests? D's C-1 sounds good, but--you never know what you may find. Sounds fun.

There's a shootout with the Horch RMJ2 and Gefell UM75 on Gearslutz. More recently there is a threeway on there with the RMJ2, UM75, AND a CMV-563.

Of course... none were spoken word. It's a complaint that's recently come up as a missing element there.

Gotta say that the Horch did better to my ears, but A) It's MP3, so quality might be an issue, cool I don't know the chain or processing they did to each, C) Everyone's voice sounds differently on a mic, so one man's gold may turn out to be another's garbage.

Still, baseball, good scotch, anime, and gear in one weekend? I might have sensory overload.

VO-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoda117 wrote:
I might have sensory overload.

Having heard about and talked to Fletcher a couple of times somethings gonna get overloaded, probably you guys. Bitchin Have fun!

Russ
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a challenge I am happy to accept.

besides, it'll make the price tag of the mics I'm looking at from them seem less painful Smile

bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoda117 wrote:

besides, it'll make the price tag of the mics I'm looking at from them seem less painful Smile

Gregory,

And with your lighter wallet, much easier to carry, too! Smile (The mics, I mean, not Fletcher.)
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobsouer wrote:
Yoda117 wrote:

Gregory,

And with your lighter wallet, much easier to carry, too! Smile (The mics, I mean, not Fletcher.)

I'm trying not to think about it.

Worse yet, I have a new recording area to set up and I'm torn between a new PEQ1-R or an HV-3 as an additional preamp, not to mention the 2K+ for another desk.

I'm all for being busy, but when I can't get into my own booth, I have issues (still haven't been able to finish the website... every version hasn't been able to withstand a good penetration test, lol).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: