VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pawn shop mic...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Pawn shop mic... Reply with quote

I found a SURE SM58 mic/with cable in a local pawn shop. The asking price was $59. I don't remember seeing an on/off switch. The screen had a dent in the topside. I know that screens are replaceable (I'm not sure how to remove the screen), but I'd like to know how much room you have under the screen before any damage can occur? No I haven't bought it yet... and no I didn't ask them at the pawn shop about testing it onsite.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, the potential for previous major physical abuse of this mic is pretty big. New they sell for only $99, so it's not a great saving, especially if you buy a replacement screen. I would pass.

Anyway, I doubt it would be of much use in a VO mic locker. I suppose you could Gaffer the cable to it and swing it around Roger Daltrey style for some serious stress relief.

Maiku.

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very rugged rock n' roll mic, but I don't think that's such a bargain. You can buy a new, undented one for not much more. It's a tight-patterned cardioid dynamic, though. Super if you're into karaoke. But you want a condenser for VO.

Last edited by asnively on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:49 am; edited 1 time in total
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great mic for singing - and did Amy say rugged? I've got one with a TON of dents in it (and probably 2 gallons of Budweiser) that still sounds awesome that I'll sell you for $49 Inoccent - but it's no VO mic.

TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a wireless SM58 every Tuesday night that is in horrible physical shape. The screw on case over the battery broke and disappeared about a year ago, the screen looks like a squashed pumpkin from the abuse of many different people using it and I have personally thrown the mic a good 5 feet (accidently) and it's still working.

Remember that old Samsonite commercial with the gorilla? I think that case would have broken before the microphone would.

The Voice of Bob
billelder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to post..but if it's an SM58 sound you want...you can't do better than this.
for sound or price. Bitchin
Bailey
4 Large

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice and opinions. I already have an MXL 990 that works fine. I was just looking for another mic that might have a different "sound" to it... I saw the price and started thinking about it.

Bill... thanks for the tip about the Behringer.
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
Edo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pawn shop mic... Reply with quote

Bailey wrote:
I found a SURE SM58 mic/with cable in a local pawn shop. The asking price was $59. I don't remember seeing an on/off switch. The screen had a dent in the topside. I know that screens are replaceable (I'm not sure how to remove the screen), but I'd like to know how much room you have under the screen before any damage can occur? No I haven't bought it yet... and no I didn't ask them at the pawn shop about testing it onsite.

Simple job fixing the dented screen. Just unscrew it from the mic base. The capsule of the mic overall has about a half inch of space before touching the screen. Gently push the dent back with your thumb. If that doesn't work, put it over the back of a screwdriver's handle and (again gently) push it back into its original round shape. Be careful not to cut the protective foam inside as THAT prevents the mic from spit (is that the right word?) and so on... also acts as a pop screen.

If all else fails, spare SM58 replacement screen heads are widely available and sell (here in Europe) for about € 9.90 (equivalent $13) + shipping. I also found a link that is most likely very much nearer you HERE to what seems to me is a very good deal.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pawn shop mic... Reply with quote

Edo wrote:
Be careful not to cut the protective foam inside as THAT prevents the mic from spit (is that the right word?) and so on... also acts as a pop screen.

Edo,

Yes, that's the right word. Smile
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch

Last edited by bobsouer on Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bailey
4 Large

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up not persuing the pawn shop mic. I decided to order the BackTraxx II from Digital Juice. It'll probably be money better spent in the long run.
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: