VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Try working on your dreams this week.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Try working on your dreams this week. Reply with quote

Last night I had a dream that I was married to Jennifer Anniston. When I woke up this morning I thought I’d call her on the phone to discover why she wasn’t at home, why she hadn’t bought me anything for my birthday and if she still loved me. Sound dumb? Of course it’s dumb; it was a dream. Looking on the bright side I also had another dream that I was a multi-billionaire so to take my mind off the disastrous marriage with Jennifer Anniston I am going to buy myself a new executive jet and a castle on the west coast of Scotland. What did you say? That’s dumb? I don’t have a billion dollars? It was just a dream? HOW DARE YOU MAKE ME LOOK AT REALITY!!!!

What’s nice about voice over people is that they live life on earth, not in dreams they know what has to be done to launch and maintain a successful career and they waste no time in doing it. They admire candour and never delude themselves. What did you say? That’s dumb? It’s just another dream? You’re right, I apologise. But think about this …….
“All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the
dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity:
but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act
their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.”
—T. E. Lawrence from "Seven Pillars of Wisdom"
“Men” is obviously a generic term and the above applies to women as well. Whilst I would never challenge anyone’s dreams I have noticed on the VO-BB, on other boards and in conversations with a number of Voice Overs that when subjects dealing day to day reality of being a Voice Over are raised (not specifically by me) the majority are not interested or shy away. When YOU the voice over step up to the mic, it is about reality, it is about you and what you are able to do. Try saying to the director – “Hey I was trained by Jerry Pacemaker” or “you’ll never guess what, Neumann U87 mics don’t work with my voice voice” – DON’T CARE ……GIMME A READ! If the director likes what you do he’ll give you another job, it’s your job to make sure that’s what happens.
Make it your goal this week to focus! Focus on one thing, your first job, getting your next job or climbing up to the next rung of the ladder. If you do this one thing it will stop you doing another 200 things that you kid yourself are career enhancing but are not. Catch yourself out by asking this question “As a direct result of doing this how much will I get paid or to what job will it lead?” If you have no positive answer to the question, do something else. I’m not suggesting you do this every day but the early you are in your career the more often you should do it.
I’m not suggesting that you don’t have fun, that you shouldn’t develop a broad range of interests only that when you are working on your voice over career, you do that and only that. Without being unpleasant or a bore, refuse to be distracted.
Here in the UK BBC tv have been running a series about the life of trawlermen. The job is acknowledged as the most dangerous in the country. On a deep sea fishing trawler the rules are simple. No fish – No pay. From the proceeds of the catch the expenses of running the boat are paid first and what is left is shared amongst the crew. Whilst at sea there are no passengers, everyone has to work hard. If anyone allows himself or herself to get distracted the chances are that a swim in the North sea will be the reward. It’s ok though, as long as someone manages to find you and pull you back on to the trawler with 12 minutes you’ll live.
As a voice over if you behave like a passenger, allow yourself to be distracted and think that it’s easy money, although not literally, the chances of you drowning are about the same as a deep sea fisherman.
Enjoy your dreams, make sure they don’t become living nightmares.
KaraEdwards
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip-

Well written! I find that in any job or significant part of life, one sometimes has to be 'put back on track'. Great post- thanks!

Kara Edwards
http://www.karaedwards.com
kara@karaedwards.com
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a timely post(for me anyway)...
It has been almost a year since embarking on the voiceover journey full-time(very fortunate to have an understanding spouse who also happens to a star of corporate America)...setting up the home studio, soundproofing, voice over workshops, an acting class, Toastmasters, producing demos, setting up a website, getting a logo, business cards, letterhead, etc., and once the demos were ready, making approximately 25 contacts a week ( in person and one the phone, combined), and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE and, oh yeah, getting an agent...and here I am still far from making a living doing this.
But that's okay. Experience has shown me that things usually take longer than we would like. As one sales manager used to say, "It's a marathon, not a sprint."
This has been my reality so far. I know it is a worn-out cliche, but the joy really is in the journey. The progress I have made has been enormously aided by this community.
I thank you.
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally, just before I woke up this morning, I had a dream that it was tomorrow (Monday) evening, and that I had just come home from watching a ballgame and was opening a package of new VO gear that had come in the mail. Suddenly, a realization hit me like a horrifying bolt of lightning: I had missed, in fact completely forgotten about, the recording session I have scheduled (in real life) tomorrow at 11 am. I was inconsolable. I went into this fit of despondency and anger at myself, because this gig tomorrow is as high-profile as anything I've done, it's the first repeat business I've gotten, and it means a lot to my career and to my nascent relationship with my agent. I woke up sick to my stomach and had to gather my wits and assure myself that it was indeed only Sunday morning and I hadn't missed the session.

My dreams are trying to scare me into focus.

Or kill me.
Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo! Thanks for the inspiring words (both your own and those of T.E. Lawrence) I'll respond to your Lawrence with a great quote from Mark Twain:

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

You are not a small person Banksey. Thanks!

moe
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very inspiring stuff, Philip! Thanks for sharing! Laugh
dagoldenknight86

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said!
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, Banksey, you expound wisely!
Thanks so much for keeping us focused!

Liz
LaurenLee
Contributor II

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey -- thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: