VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB Mic for Laptop VISTA compatible????
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: USB Mic for Laptop VISTA compatible???? Reply with quote

HELP!!!
Let me preface this note with this disclaimer: When it comes to how everythingn in my studio works, I'm two steps above 'stupid'.

I just got a new Gateway notebook computer (complete with the Vista Operating system). Once I had that in my hot little hands, I ordered a Snowball mic, to use with said laptop for traveling and working (like for the upcoming Voice conference).....Well....like a kid at Christmas I unwrapped everything and plugged said Snowball in and.....................nothing.Angry

YIKES. Snowball's not compatible with Vista. Cry (Boy did I feel STUPID) Any suggestions for mics I can use on my laptop that plug into the USB port....so that I too can create that mythical 'traveling set up' for my voice work....

Any suggestions....ideas....a couple of tin cans and string I could borrow? Yea, panic is setting in!!!

thanks!!!!
moe
richgates

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Moe,

What are you using for your home studio? You may want to look at getting a portable USB or Firewire pre-amp interface and use your existing mic. Just make sure it has Phantom Power if you are using a condenser mic.

I can go mobile quite easily with my M-Audio Firewire 410 and MacBook Pro. That's why I went with a portable interface. It gives me flexibility for the road.

I don't have any recommendations for a USB mic because none of the ones I've seen are good enough for high-end recording imo. I checked Vista's HCL (Hardware Compatibility List) but there aren't any microphones listed so I would recommend doing a web search on USB Microphones and just make sure that they have Vista drivers.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to hate my answer but based on friends who have bought new computers recently the best solution seems to be format your hard drive and install windows xp onto your new computer. Frown
richgates

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart wrote:
You're going to hate my answer but based on friends who have bought new computers recently the best solution seems to be format your hard drive and install windows xp onto your new computer. Frown

I would likely suggest the same. At least for the short term. Support for Vista will be a little slow going and there will be some kinks to work out since it is essentially a 1.0 product.
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe,
FYI: if you can't get it work, you're welcome to use what I'm bringing to Voice:

PC Laptop with XP
CAD E1002 mic,
PreSonus Firebox
SoundForge 8
and my own version of Harlan Hogan's Porta Booth

OK?

I just sent a sample over to HoldCom (yep I work for them too...we need to get a picture of the two of us to send to them!) to make sure it meets with their requirements/sound but I think it will.

It's not an iso booth, but it'll work & you're welcome to it if you need it.

Liz
Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight.....this is theONE time I bought before I thought....and i'm paying for it. I was hoping to have things set up so I'd be good to go for my Voice 2007 field trip....but as my hubby says "It's God's way of making sure I have a real week off!"

Rich, I use a Shure KSM 27 in the studio....but after dropping a big chunk of change on the lap top, a USB or Firewire pre-amp isn't in the picture (or piggy bank) right now...

I'll look into the installing windows xp option. Don't worry, I won't shoot the messenger. Thanks for the ideas. I'll chaulk this up as another learning experience for the self employed and technically challanged Embarrassed

Well....at least I can check email in my hotel and watch movies in the airport!

thanks!
moe
Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Liz,

You are my new best friend! Sticking out Tongue I actually just told the good folks at Hold Com to take me off their roster for the week....but perhaps I can change that....and yes, we do need to get a pic....maybe we'll make it into their monthly newsletter!

Either way, first rounds' on me! I can't believe Voice is NEXT WEEK!

Thanks!!!!!
moe
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe Egan wrote:
....but as my hubby says "It's God's way of making sure I have a real week off!"

That's exactly what my husband said to me to me over the summer as we were about to go to Cape May & I tripped on my headphone cable & ripped the soundcard right out of my laptop!...off to Dell it went (under warranty Thank goodness!) and it was back the day before we got back!

But, you're still welcome to use my set-up if you need it!

...oh just saw your post!

Yeah, tell Steve/Neil/Rob..etc.. that we'll be working together @ HoldCom West! Laugh

Liz
KaraEdwards
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vista and XP Media Center aren't compatible with most audio set ups. Before you buy the Home or Pro 'upgrade' check with a pro...my PC hard drive had to be removed and a new one installed with XP Pro- the upgrade refused to work and the new software refused to install with Media Center already there. If you can find a good IT guy- I recommend it.

It is possible though- so don't give up! Also- check with the place you bought it...I returned 2 computers before finding one compatible- most will make an exchange.

If nothing else- go buy a MacBook, that's what I just did!

Kara Edwards
http://www.karaedwards.com
kara@karaedwards.com
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll echo what everyone else has said. Vista is a bad idea right now for upgrading due to the lack of drivers and support. I find it best to wait a year or so and let them figure out what's wrong with it and get the service packs out before getting into it.

Have you contacted the place you bought to see if they will let you send it back?
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allensco wrote:
Yeah, I'll echo what everyone else has said. Vista is a bad idea right now for upgrading due to the lack of drivers and support. I find it best to wait a year or so and let them figure out what's wrong with it and get the service packs out before getting into it.

Here's the thing, Allen: Most PC manufacturers won't offer XP as an alternative. Just about everyone cut bait and switched to Vista. Dell is still offering XP Professional with their business lines, but I worked on a new Toshiba laptop a couple weeks ago that had a device on it for which there were NO XP drivers available (the owner wanted the laptop reloaded with XP Professional).

Moe, I just glanced at the BlueMic tech support site and it looks like they have their "top men" working on it. (The MS tech in the back of my head says, "HOW LONG have they known this was coming?!?")
VO-BB Member #59
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glittlefield wrote:

Here's the thing, Allen: Most PC manufacturers won't offer XP as an alternative. Just about everyone cut bait and switched to Vista. Dell is still offering XP Professional with their business lines, but I worked on a new Toshiba laptop a couple weeks ago that had a device on it for which there were NO XP drivers available (the owner wanted the laptop reloaded with XP Professional).

Thanks Greg. I didn't know they were already shoving XP outta the way for Vista. They've GOT to know that most software and hardware companies are not ready for it yet. The usual course is to find the bugs in the first six months to a year and issue service packs to fix 'em. Hell, I'm still using Windows 2000 Pro on a machine I built in 2001. I've wanted to upgrade to XP Pro for awhile now, but if what I have is working fine, I say why mess with it?

Just so you guys know, I'm NOT resistant to change and I WILL eventually upgrade to a newer, faster machine with a more current OS.....eventually.....really Wink

Besides, clients can't tell what OS or editing software you're using anyway as long as their end product sounds great Laugh
Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your time Allen! TRUST ME....take your time!!!

Angry

moe
richgates

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glittlefield wrote:
allensco wrote:

Moe, I just glanced at the BlueMic tech support site and it looks like they have their "top men" working on it. (The MS tech in the back of my head says, "HOW LONG have they known this was coming?!?")

It's been a while since I've really looked at Vista since switching to a Mac, but if I remember correctly Microsoft wasn't going to allow unsigned drivers like they did in XP. Which means that getting drivers written for Vista is a big headache for companies because it will require they go through Microsoft's rigorous certification process.

What this will mean is a lot of older hardware will never see support, but the upside is likely better system stability and security. That remains to be seen however.

If something changed in the last several months and Microsoft allows unsigned drivers in Vista, pretend I never posted this. Smile
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richgates wrote:
but if I remember correctly Microsoft wasn't going to allow unsigned drivers like they did in XP.

This is only true for the 64 bit version of Vista.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: