VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which desk to get?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

So, which desk should Yoda purchase
Force 36
94%
 94%  [ 17 ]
Force 40
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18

Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Which desk to get? Reply with quote

Okay, been contemplating this one for way too long here.

Which desk should I purchase for my third room? My options are pretty well narrowed down to the following:

Omniraxx Force 36 (good overall desk, and I like the video monitor shelf)

OR...

Omniraxx Force 40 (just like the Force 36, but no sub-shelf for the video monitor, instead you get four extra rack spaces)

Since the price delta for the two is about $160, it makes my decision a bit more difficult. I like having 16U up top (with the 40), but I'm not sure if it'd situate my LCDs (I'll be using two on this desk) too high for my liking.

So... what do you guys think?

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a very personal decision, but you asked. I'd go with the 36. There's no way I'd be happy with the video monitors up on the 40. I don't know how much outboard gear you really need right at your fingertips, but if it were me and I needed the lost rackspace I'd put just add a rack off to the side of the desk.
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree...Monitor would be too high on the 40.

Liz
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart wrote:
What a very personal decision, but you asked. I'd go with the 36. There's no way I'd be happy with the video monitors up on the 40. I don't know how much outboard gear you really need right at your fingertips, but if it were me and I needed the lost rackspace I'd put just add a rack off to the side of the desk.

I'd been leaning towards the 36, but needed the nudge (as it appears to be the favorite). As for having the outboard gear right at my fingertips, there are certain items that I would prefer to keep within eyesight (VU meters for example) when recording tracks, not to mention phone patch, and patchbays. I've taken some spare gear from another room for this, and I've already got like 14U filled, so sadly this is a necessity.

I'm with you on getting the additional rack though, and that's something I'll probably end up doing within a year or two (if I decide to keep this as my private recording area).

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
billelder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Hart. My biggest issue was desk "real estate. Places to put client files, scripts, notes. Do you get to assemble it? If so, who's to say you can't modify it to your needs? Only need one "rack shelf" up top? Then only use one..or none. Unless you are putting in a recording studio mixer, it shouldn't take up much space up top. Good luck. Don't forget to post pictures. Smile

Here's a previous thread.
Jeff McNeal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the others. The Force 36 is actually a slight variation of the desk that I bought from them a few years ago. My racks aren't cantered in towards the center, but otherwise it's identical. Been very good and I would not have wanted the monitor(s) to sit any higher. My only complaint is that the edges of the desk and keyboard slider are kind of sharp and uncomfortable if you feel like leaning your arm on the edge of the desk.
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Nice desk(s) Reply with quote

I'm envious!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: