VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new mic gives TLM 103 competition.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is what I mean about being beaten like a piñata.

Believe me, I'm no BYU fan, but your comment had me thinking of this, and sharing, since I know many will enjoy. The kids there won a student Emmy for their short:

>>Their computer-generated short “Las Pinatas” chronicles the plight of two piñatas, an anxious cowboy and an oblivious bull, at the mercy of a flock of children. Incredible attention to details – including newsprint faintly visible under coats of paint on the presumably “papier-mâché” piñatas – may be part of what impressed the judges.<<

More here, if you care:

http://byunews.byu.edu/archive07-Mar-pinatas.aspx
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
It's interesting that on this site if one starts a thread on how kick-butt is your mic it'll run into multiple pages and some will get a little hot under the collar. Whereas, if one starts a thread on the important component - The nut in front of the pop shield and what it does there is usually a deafening silence.

Within reason a mic is a mic is a mic. As a Voice Over, what you are selling is you and you can't upgrade you just have to be good enough in the first place.

Philip,

I wonder if you haven't given a big bit of the answer to your first part in what you've send in the second part of the above quote. Buying a new microphone is a simple matter of accumulating the funds (or credit) necessary. Buying a new "me" is impossible and "becoming good enough" is a process that involves a lot of, often, personally painful study, application and effort.

I know I prefer laziness to effort pretty much all of the time. I grew up farming. I know what real work is. Voiceover is much better than working for a living. But, all joking aside, there's always room to further polish what talent one has. And that polishing doesn't happen overnight nor through laziness.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:

Editorial balance

All Rode mics suck. All valve /tube mics suck. Every voice on this site sucks except for me.

Well...now that we have THAT straight we can all go home! Kiss
I love you Banksey!
Liz
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWToo wrote:
And kids: it ain't the equipment, it's the performance. Mr. Banks would be getting a lot of work if he was using a Radio Shack Uniball. His U87 isn't the magic, HE is.

Mr. Banks... you can give that nice U87 to me Laugh

Besides, mine could use a new sibling Smile

However, the way this discussion is going raises a little pearl of wisdom regarding equipment. Let's say you're going to have an old fashioned gunfight. You've got two choices for opponents, one that has a nice shiny, well polished pair of guns in a new, fancy quickdraw rig, you know the kind of guy you'd think you'd see on a movie set. The other is a worn out older guy with dusty clothes, a worn and abused rig with gun to match.

Which one would you rather go up against?

My choice would be the guy with the shiny flashy sidearm. The other fella has beaten his gear to hell, but he's only got one gun, he's used it, knows how it works, and knows how to make it work to it's best potential.

When it comes to your gear, that's what you want. It doesn't have to be shiny, but if it works for you and you know how to get the most out of it, you're going to be pretty tough to beat with it.

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: