VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vegas Journal (old thread)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. How time flies. I will have to make time to re-read this monster thread and relive the Vegas experience...it was a most amazing five days.

.Interesting article on '08 Connie, thanks for posting it.
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He raked me over the coals last year for being not only a voice talent, but for taking money from others for designing websites.

...yet he really likes Pat's website this year! Laugh Kiss

i loves me some irony!
VO-BB Member #59
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
I'm glad someone finally told me I suck at life. All this happiness must be some kind of illusion.

DB!
THAT made me laugh!!!! cool

L.
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read that screed. I hope he voices over better than he proofreads his work... seems like he's kind of upset...

S0 hey, not all of us are looking to move to LA. I had a chance to take a job in LA a few years ago and turned it down because I couldn't afford to live there on the pay... don't get me wrong--I like LA and some of my best clients are there. But, fortunately for me and them, we can all work from where we are and do just fine, thankyouverymuch.

As for Voice2008... it looks like it would be fun to attend, if I were not already booked elsewhere (like, our first non-working vacation in five years)...
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schick Schtick, Scene I

hazel, would you be a dear and bring me a broom and dustpan? there's a pile of dust here. apparently, that ax was ground to powder.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connie,

That is excellent stuff. Thank you for posting the link.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an environment where there is an overdose of Woot, awesome n go fer it there's a need for a Nay Sayer. I don't know Todd so am unable to say whether he's able to take it as well as he dishes it out. Removing the twisting and turning twisty turny things he could have simply written. Take two paces back for the hyperboly and hysteria and think about it.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd Schick wrote:
Simply stated....a website tells you a great deal about the kind of person it is ultimately representing for all the world to see.

I'd like to go there with you Mr. Schick... but I've been cautioned not to get too opinionated about certain things.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
RayAnime
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to revise my overlong and very biting rant, and repost just a small sampling of the aforementioned.

Quote:
the owner of the site ultimately "rubber stamps" the final product. Simply stated....a website tells you a great deal about the kind of person it is ultimately representing for all the world to see.

Oh okay! Makes sense! So if, for example, I visit someone's website and the first thing I see is an article full of horrendously obvious grammatical errors, then I should discount that person's credibility as a VO actor or coach. Got it!

I know I'm perhaps being unnecessarily snarky, but Mr. Schick has just disproven his own theory that you can judge someone's talent and validity as a voice over artist based on their website, unless he wants us all to believe HE has no idea what he's doing.

The point is, this is just a silly method of critique that has nothing to do with the skill these actors & coaches are marketing, and it bothers me that someone might read this article and form an opinion of a talent based on what Mr. Schick says.

This article DOES reiterate the importance of good design & marketing for all of us, but I would hope that within the VO community itself people would be more helpful (sending an email to the talent with constructive criticism, if you're that concerned) than hurtful (publicly questioning a coach/actor's credibility based on their web design).

Maybe this all just proves that if you really want to know what you're getting, you DO need to make the effort to "call or meet every speaker like James did." Or barring that, you can just trust that the people putting this thing together know what THEY'RE doing, and even if there's a bad egg or two in the bunch the overall event will be populated with talented people.

Last edited by RayAnime on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RayAnime wrote:
you really DO need to make the effort to "call or meet every speaker like James did."

If he did it could be claimed that he was unwittingly duped at least once. One of the speakers is using on a website a definite misrepresentation of the truth in order to enhance their reputation. I've put that as diplomatically as possible.

When reading the publicity about anything, not just Voice2008, the switch operating the intelligence part of the brain should be in the ON position.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He calls it a "review".

A riot.

What I want to know is what in blazes is he qualified to "speak" on?
And wouldn't that just discredit him as talent, since he's technically "teaching"?
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think the whole rant is funny as hell!

As the prince of trouble making, I'm all for stirring the pot and as for the conference, all publicity is good publicity if they spell your event's name right.

This rant is soooo tinged with the bitterness of "I didn't get invited to speak" yet I'm not sure that's why he wrote it. It sure came across that way.

As for the basis of his critique, its iffy but I will side with him on the fact that by and large the VO biz is more and more a solely web based enterprise (even if you're coaching).

So you need to have your store windows cleaned and floors swept. Some of these folks could probably use a little sprucing up so take the hint, clean up your brand and knock em dead at the show.

I do like the part about not fully explaining what everbody's teaching...that should've been worked out by now and maybe that'll get fixed in the coming days...seems like a simple tweak to me.

There was a voice talent/voice coach who was asked to speak at VOICE this year and when this person learned of the stipend (or lack thereof) sent out a scathing review of same to a number of his/her peers (me being one I guess). That seemed a bit more damning than Todd's post.

Over all, Todd's is just too angry a piece to be given full credence by darn near anyone. I don't think it'll negatively impact the event...anyone who would be swayed probably wasn't that serious about it anyway.

That said however, for me I'm still not sure whether the event's point of difference is strong enough for me to make a committment to, at the rates they're charging and the travel costs involved.

But that's just me and I'm cheap, stupid but charming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just happy that he seems to like my friend Randy. Whew! She's off the hook!! Smile

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who the hell is this guy, anyway?
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
RayAnime
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:

If he did it could be claimed that he was unwittingly duped at least once. . .

When reading the publicity about anything, not just Voice2008, the switch operating the intelligence part of the brain should be in the ON position.

I agree, which is why the article annoyed me in the first place. I feel like the intention of it is to encourage us to turn the switch on, and yet I don't understand how the opinion of someone who hasn't even met or talked to most of the talents he's critiquing is any more credible than the sales pitch of the people marketing the event in the first place.

Or maybe I'm just insulted that he felt the need to link to the definition of "sesquipedalian."

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 40 of 42

Jump to: