VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wow! Cheap mics that aren't half bad.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickReid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Wow! Cheap mics that aren't half bad. Reply with quote

Awhile back I had a "big time" v/o pro in Atlanta listen to my commercial demo. His biggest criticism was that the sound quality from clip-to-clip was too consistent. (I thought that was a good thing.) He said the spots sounded like they were all recorded with the same microphone in the same studio, therefore, they gave the impression that they were all just demo spots and not "real" work. (He was right. It was all with the same mic in the same studio and it was all just demo material.)

I've swapped out a few clips since then with some "real" work, but I don't have enough national-level or national-sounding stuff for a full 60-second demo. So, I decided to buy a couple of additional mics so that I can rotate through them when I record new demo spots. My main mic in my home studio is a Neumann TLM103, identical to the mic I used for my previous demo (which I produced at my "day job" with the help of a professional sound designer/editor.) There's no way I can afford any more mics in that price range. So, I popped into Guitar Center the other night and picked up an AKG Perception 100 for $99. Then I went to CompuUSA and got an M-Audio Nova for $99.

Both of these are large diaphragm condenser mics. Their output level is the same as the Neumann so I don't have to fiddle with the trim knob on my mixer when I switch between mics. My initial impression of the AKG is that it has pretty clean sound but that it over-emphasized the high end and doesn't have much bass. My natural voice is already like that without any help, so this mic makes me sound too bright and sparkly. It might be an interesting experiment to record a naturally deep voice with this to see how it alters or balances out the sound. On the other hand, I was really impressed with the M-Audio mic! I thought it sounded nearly as good as my Neumann. It seems to lack some of the bass and proximity effect and the overall richness of the Neumann, but held its own better than its price tag would indicate.

Anyone setting up a home studio who's hesitant to drop a thousand bucks on a mic might want to try out the M-Audio Nova. I wouldn't recommend the AKG as your main mic, but it may have a place in your collection just for the reason I bought it -- to change up the sound quality on parts of your demo reel.
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite mic thread is this.
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite Mic threads can be found here.
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrodriguez315 wrote:
One of my favorite Mic threads can be found here.

That's my favorite as well... Laugh

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: