VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dave DeHart - Exposed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Dave DeHart - Exposed! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I've finally decided to make a run at the commercial side of things this year... which will be quite a departure from my "normal" vo work which is 90% corporate narration.

Frankly, and as weird as this may sound, even though I've been in vo for a looooong time, I'm not at all confident/comfortable that I have the talent for the commercial stuff.

Anyway, I dug around and found a few things that might work... your comments are most welcome and appreciated.

http://www.davedehart.com/Audio/DeHartdemoA.mp3

Dave
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I only took a quick listen, overall it's good.

I'm not really keen on the "watch out credit card users" snippet. I'd dump it. The reads are pretty similiar overall but it's a good sound.

Technically I think it's fine.

I'm hesitant to say too much because I feel a bit like a hypocrite... but it doesn't WOW me. It's a good demo but not outstanding. I think it will probably get you some commercial work and if this is what you got, run with it.

Hope this helps.

B

P.S. Just caught this. There's a click in "Jack" in the beginning snippet. Easy enough to edit out if you produced it and have the session.
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart wrote:
Dave,... it doesn't WOW me..

Yeah, me either... which is why I wanted some other ears on it. I think I may have been on the corporate side too long... Incidentally, this is by no means a "finished demo" as much as it is a "collection" of stuff that I thought might be workable for folks to offer comments.

Oh well, even one trick ponys have their place.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One trick pony. hmm. Perhaps but I don't think so.

I really like your voice and I think it's perfect for a wide variety of spots. Including that zero zero financing and the GMC read (although I'd like it better without that particular processing).

I like that warm read you had on the hospital spot too. That's a marketable sound too.

There is a commercial market for your voice and I don't think it's just one trick. There's a level of confidence in your voice that many try to obtain but never quite acquire. You've got great tones and know how to use them.

So, I think of this demo as a good first draft.
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brian...

Thanks for the additional input... VERY helpful!

In my case, not having voiced many commercials, the search to better identify my strongest area/styles is a slippery slope for me which is why I need other pros to point me in the right/best direction.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

To my ears, the "money voice" is the one you use on the hospital spot; not the one you start with now. I agree with Brian's comments about the credit card thing. I hope that helps.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hospital the best. But most of the rest is also very usable in my opinion. I would either modify the credit card one to add more urgency and a more ominous tone(and music), or drop it altogether. But it sounds like you are about 90% there.
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob and Rob,

Thanks for taking a listen... and especially for the feedback. It really helps to have expert ears point out strengths and weaknesses...

Thanks also to those (and you know who you are) that took the time to call me with your critique!

Looking forward to more advice from the generous folks in the vo-bb family!

Dave
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I personally really liked all of it! I could listen to you for hours! Smile

Last edited by asnively on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asnively wrote:
Well, I personally really liked all of it! I could listen to you for hours! Smile

Thank you Amy... your opinion means a great deal to me.
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave:

As usual (although I haven't reviewed a demo here in a while) I'll not be looking at the other comments, just posting my thoughts thru my ear. It'll be up to you to compare and contrast.

Did not like:
credit criminals (pull it)

Liked a lot:
surgeon (move closer to the front but lose that middle voice)

Overall:
It lacked oomph. Your tonality is fine but your demo is waaay announcery. If I were to ask you on the GMC spot (which seemed to earn two cuts in the demo) who were you talking to?, my guess is you would say you were just reading the copy in a ballsy voice. Well that's sooo easy to do, even I can do it Smile

The point is, in my opinion, to stand out you need to have more feeling in your reads on your demo. Nothing I heard really stood out as anything but average which I believe to be well below your talent potential.

I'd give it a 6 outta 10.

I hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

I really appreciate your listening to my embryonic commercial demo. I have plenty of work to do don't I Embarrassed

Thankfully, my weaknesses are far less prevalent on the industrial side where I make 85% of my vo income... I've been in such a routine for so many years (20+) that when I think I'm really "out there" pushing the envelope... in reality, as you and others have noted, I'm just barely showing up!

Never-the-less, I still plan to crank things up as much as possible to get a little closer to that 10 you mentioned. Gotta figure out how to break out of my rut... Gosh this is tough!

Dave
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Hi Peter,

I really appreciate your listening to my embryonic commercial demo. I have plenty of work to do don't I Embarrassed

Embryonic my ass! Laugh

For anybody else, that demo would be fine. But you are not just ANYBODY.

YOU are a part of VO-BB, seemingly the only organized group of people (and I include unions in this) who not only "get" the quality concept as a group, but who also actively practice it...hence the demo reviews and occasional demo smack downs (of which neither mine nor any of your other demo reviewers executed...we save those for “special" VO's...the ones whose demo quality rhymes with "sucky")

So sit up straight and stop worrying about mis-steps, you're going to make them, we all do and yours was hardly noticeable.

In a commercial demo, to establish range and audible interest for the listener, carve up the content of your one minute like a pie and start with this flexible plan:

0-15 Signature Voice/Money Voice (@ 2 cuts)
A BLOCK: This is the voice that clearly seems the most popular. Usually for commercials it’s a straight-type read but not always. Your signature voice is often determined by your bank deposit slips....the voice that earns you the most deposit slips defines your money voice. The best recorded/produced versions of that voice lead off the demo. Chances are good a produce will NOT get to the other 45 seconds, so make sure this part is Midas strong.

16-40 Secondary Voice(@ 3-4 cuts)
B BLOCK: This voice is noticeably different than the first. How that difference defines itself is up to each individual’s vocal skill set. If you feel unclear about which spots should go here, use the old standby of deposit slips....which voices got you the 2nd largest set of deposit slips. If at this point in your demo you've not put in a few everyman voices, this might be the place to start.

41-60 Wild Card Voices(@ 3-4 cuts)
C BLOCK: Usually but not always these are the voices that show your huge range and are voices not always called for but still you want to let a producer know about a few special bullets you've got in your holster. For some folks this is where a few of the characters come out (again, some folks play them earlier...it all depends on your individual strengths.)

The demo should be like a roller coaster ride with each new section representing the top of a steep hill rolling over the edge...its has to show range, it has to show change.

Note that sometimes that change/range isn't always tonality. Some folks can't do characters. Then, the other option is intensity... in degrees. A hard driving, fast paced section; a medium everyman section and a soft, slow section. Sometimes it’s edited together on a demo with cuts that are fast, medium, slow, fast, medium, slow. There are a ton of editing options.

Maybe getting yourself with an outside producer could help you; sort of omniscient ears, judicious ears that can hear you in a way you cannot hear yourself. Only you will be able to decide if its money well spent.

Oh well, that's enough of my rambling. Nothing is produced unless something is first recorded. Go have have fun in the studio, now. The demo making process should be fun!

I hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iladelf

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I know I'm in late on this critique, but I've just recently found out about this website, and will soon be going into this meself, leaving radio behind for good.

My take? Keep up the good work! Yes, I can "hear" the constructive criticism that has been posted here previously, in reference to a "sameness" to most of your demo, but to that I say, so what! You have to know your strengths, and your strength obviously lies in the corporate VO world; there's probably a kabillion folks out there that would love to have your voice representing their products or services.

What I notice from listening to demos is that most folks want to be all things to all people; a hard seller, a soft seller, a romantic, a corporate VO person, a cartoon actor, etc. I remember reading a book about business once, that stated a person should specialize, not be all things to all people. The example given was a woman who had started a translation service for all languages in the Washington, D.C. area. She was struggling, but once she focused on her strength exclusively (Russian), her business blossomed, and she got lots of other translation business as an added bonus.

I think you get my point. I know this much; once I find my niche in VO, that's where I'll stay. Can't make a VW into a Ferrari (or vice-versa). Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: