VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB Turntable
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: USB Turntable Reply with quote

From BSWUSA.com.

It sounds SO COOL.

I was thinking about my rekkids just the other day and wishing I had a decent turntable.
jasbart
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son bought one of those Numark turntables when he went off to college a few years ago. He loves it, and is the King Of Vinyl. Ummm, that's MY vinyl by the way.

My daughter gave one to her boyfriend last year, and it wowed out of the box. (That's a bad wow, not a WOW!!!) They sent theirs back and received a good unit a few days later. So I'm thinking that quality control may not be very strong on these devices.

The units my son and daughter bought cost around $100, so either the one advertised on BSW is a more expensive model, or the price just went up.

Jim
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice DB Smile

I have an old Zenith all-in-one stereo with the AM/FM tuner, 8-track (yep, still works great!), cassette deck (it's dead) and a BSR changer turntable (works great too!). I have a Def Leppard album sitting on it right now Wink Picked it up in a second hand shop for SIX DOLLARS and the guy GAVE me a set of speakers as it didn't have any with it. My wife and I love to get out the old vinyl and spin 'em every now and then.
TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! This would be a great way to get some stuff transferred to digital from my vinyl.

I can't part with my Thorens turntable yet though.

The Voice of Bob
Vance Elderkin
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an ADS Tech "Instant Music" interface. You can use it between computer and turntable, cassettes, or anything that uses RCA plugs. Works great, and I presume it's cheaper than a USB TT, at least if you still have an old TT. (I still have my beloved Technics with the Stanton cartridge.)
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With over 1,500 LPs sitting in various crates in my basement, this is something I've been thinking about getting for some time; especially since most of what I have is out of print...

...maybe once that first sack of money hits my porch.
VO-BB Member #59
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this is very cool indeed, DB. I love technology, and the retro aspect has me thinking about my own vinyl collection. I have a turntable, not USB tho, and I rarely use it. This is great. With audacity, you can clean the tune's sound and load 'em up into the ipod or mp3, all from your workstation. Ultimate coolness!
Audiogal
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago, my husband spotted a regular turntable at one of the chain electronics stores. It was a floor sample, & he decided to buy it so we could listen to all our old albums. When he took it up front for the tech/repair guys to make sure it was working properly...they didn't know what to do with it, as they had never serviced one before. Rolls Eyes

He walked 'em through checking whatever it is you check, I dunno, a belt or somethin'. It was fine.

He left feeling like a quite a relic himself.
CWToo

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costco had the Ion USB turntable but the just sold out. Maybe some of the warehouse stores still have a few.

You gotta wonder if the next 'invention' would be a USB cassette deck. Or a USB toilet paper roller.
Vance Elderkin
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, they already HAVE a USB cassette recorder, if I'm not mistaken.

How about a USB coffee warmer? Or a USB aquarium?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/

Couldn't find a pure USB toilet paper holder, but this comes close:

http://www.getusb.info/toilet-tunes-icarta-ipod-dock-review/

Last edited by Vance Elderkin on Thu May 24, 2007 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Gp

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tempting. However, I don't even own any vinyl anymore. I could get 2 and be reminded of the day! (radio dj stuff back thar in tham 80's) Add a couple of Otari reel to reels and a cart player.....*sniff, sob* those were the days!
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a former radio disc jerkey I have owned a closet full of LP's, but I've decided to forego the digital transfer of all but the most obscure and precious albums. I've tried it, but it can be a two hour process to convert an LP, especially if you want to break it down into individual cuts and title each one. I can get almost every classic album I want on CD from LaLa.com for $1.75! Plus, the CD versions have no scratches and pops and often have extra selections on them. When it takes just 3 minutes or so to upload a CD into my iTunes, transferring isn't that appealing.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got things like Rocky and Bullwinkle, Felix the Cat, and Bugs Bunny adventures, and Dr Seuss himself reading.

I don't think those make the migration to CD.
sdelgo
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One nice advantage to listening to records is that the processing is alot better than the same lp on today's cds resulting in a fuller(dynamic) sound.

Todays mastered cds are so loud,compressed and limited to compete with other cds (my song is louder than your song) that there is no dynamic to the music anymore. Simple experiment: listen to a vinyl lp and the same cd and turn the volume up and listen to how defined the bass and high end sound on the vinyl as opposed to the cd. Better yet compare waveforms.

Don't get me wrong, cds are clean and crisp and sound better dynamically when mastered correctly... it's just the recording companies now want that loud squashed sound so their product can be heard.

Cds have a better resolution than vinyl did so you can get away with things on cd that you'd never ever try on vinyl.

Steve

www.steviedproductions.com
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vance is on the money! i've mentioned it here before (i think) www.thinkgeek.com has some of teh coolest stuff in the universe.

THESE http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/rc/7485/ are totally cool!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: