VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please give the new kid a listen
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Please give the new kid a listen Reply with quote

Hello,
My name is Roger and I'm an alcho...sorry, wrong meeting. I'm Roger and I'm a wannabe voice talent (translate - noob). I'm a broadcast audio engineer of 30 years who would like to do voice work in retirement. I've given myself one calendar year to make it or not in this biz (which I love). Enough about me, what do you think about me. (sorry, old joke, but couldn't resist). So here for your disgust or amusement, is my first and only demo, I rolled my own. I'm ready to run the gauntlet of this esteemed and august body who I admire. Thanks for your valuable time.
-Roger
http://www.voices.com/uploads/studiofiles/oi/rogertremaine/11793_Tremaine_voice_demo_5_16_07.mp3
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have a good start here, but I'd like to hear some more variety. Your commercials all sound basically the same as do your narrations. Do you have any spots that show a little more variety and dynamics?

The one overall thing that comes to mind listening is loosen up a bit. For lack of a better word, you sound a little stiff.

But I definitely think you have a good voice and are on to something. I look forward to hearing more from you.
roger
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: New Kid demo Reply with quote

Jeff,
Thanks for a very quick response. Valid points all. I'll listen and learn. I know I'm a bit too stiff and announcer-ish. With my humble thanks,
-roger
iladelf

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna differ a bit from what Jeffrey has to say. He has 3 years experience in VO on me, but unless he's done radio, I've 10 years experience in it. So, now for my dissenting view:

I think it's pretty damned good for your first shot. To me, I think your strengths may be in the "PBS"-style documentary format (the Kentucky's first fort thingy). It gives the listener useful information, but does not sound dry or boring, thereby keeping the listener.

I'd like to hear better audio levels on that Citizen's Bank ad near the end; it seemed like your voice got "lost" in the ad somewhere. More presence of your voice there I believe would make it a better-sounding demo overall.

Now, for my dissenting viewpoint. At the risk of hijacking your thread, one thing I can't yet wrap my head around in the VO biz is that many of our fellow VO brethren have several different demos for several different styles of VO work (hard sell, soft sell, narration, telephone, character portrayal, etc.). To me, you can't really be "all things to all people"; you have to be who you are. So, by trying to throw a thousand darts at a dart board and hoping one (or a few) hit the bullseye seems a waste of energy. Why not try to figure out where your strength is, and then BUG THE BILLY PEEWADDIN' out of companies and agents who need your services, and go from there?

Now, maybe my opinion on your work is correct (maybe not), but eventually, through trial and error, you'll find out your strengths, and where you're most marketable. But shouldn't you do what you want to do, in your own special way, rather than trying to be a VO Swiss Army knife?

Therefore, I'm not sure I understand what Jeff is asking for from you, Roger. To me, you, Roger, can only BE Roger; I hear enough variety here. No one can be John Facenda, Don LaFontaine and Don Pardo all at the same time.

Put plainly, I hear the difference between your commercials and narrations, and IMO, the narrations are your strong suit.
roger
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi iladelf,
Oddly enough, I work for a PBS affiliate (Kentucky Educational TV) and did that narration for them (for free) for a kid's show...Electronic Fieldtrip to a Fort. So your "PBS narration" observation was uncanny. I did radio a life-time ago as a top-40 jock in Thailand for AFRTS during that unpleasantness in Southeast Asia in the '70s (ala Robin Williams in "Good Morning Vietnam"). I was listening to airchecks from then just recently..what a hoot. You're right about the levels on the bank spot, unfortunately mixed by someoen else who has the master. I'll replace it.
You and Jeff, although differing, both have valid points for & agin "the wearing of many hats" or voices in the VO arena, I'm just not that much of a vocal chameleon to pull it off. You're right, in time I'll find my niche, especially with objective views from you pros. Thanks awefully for your time and timely response. And as we say in Kentucky: Ya'll (you and Jeff) stop fightin', sit down and have a good supper.
-Roger
Donovan
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree somewhat with the point that many of the spots on there sound really similar (vocal style-wise). Not that you have to be a vocal Swiss Army knife, but you do want to show you have some flexibility. Now if you can take advantage of making that your "money voice" or "signature sound" then great! But you also don't want to give the impression that you are a one-trick pony either. Bottom line, the basics are there and your voice is pleasant and unique. Production quality was lacking in some places. Some of the spots sounded really good, but ended rather quickly, at least in my opinion.

You've got the goods, now time to perfect them. Get some training, etc. and go for it!

www.DonovanVO.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I suddenly feel like my critique is being attacked?
iladelf

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Jeffrey, not meant as a personal attack on you. I realize my opinion could have come off in this manner; if it did, I apologize.

Wouldn't matter who would have said it, I would still feel the same way. My point, which differs from yours, was that Roger can only be who he is, and that it seems like the general opinion here on VO-BB is to offer your services to as many potential VO clients as possible. I just don't think that most of us can pull that off. Maybe Mel Blanc, but umm, he's dead.

A talent has to find his or her strength and use it as a main selling point. For example, Jeff, when I've listened to your VO work posted on your website, I hear a nice guy. Your kindness comes through the speakers. So, that's the kind of work I'd see you doing a lot of. I don't however, see you doing "SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!!! BE THERE!!! LEE COUNTY DRAGWAYS, BE THERE!!!"-type ads as your main bread and butter.

I'd better shut up now, before I make enemies out of people that I need to make friends of instead! Lips Are Sealed
roger
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Donovan, for the words of encouragment and I do want to get some training and help in identifying my "money voice".
Jeff, I got your back ,brother. I understood what you were saying and besides you were the "first responder". I really appreciate everyones informed opinions and believe I've found a valuable resource here. Thanks,
-Roger (overwhelmed)
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You kids keep it sane in here.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iladelf wrote:
My point, which differs from yours, was that Roger can only be who he is, and that it seems like the general opinion here on VO-BB is to offer your services to as many potential VO clients as possible.

I see what you're saying, but everyone has a certain range while still being "who they are". When I'm with my guy friends, I talk one way. When I'm with my kids, I talk another. When I'm with my wife, yet another. But these are all me. My point to Roger is that I'd like to hear the different aspects of who Roger is.

iladelf wrote:
I don't however, see you doing "SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!!! BE THERE!!! LEE COUNTY DRAGWAYS, BE THERE!!!"-type ads as your main bread and butter.

And you won't. I've found my "money voice", but I have some range to do other things as well, mostly due to tons of theater and improv experience. But I'm not a swiss army knife. I don't do hard sell, I don't do movie trailers.

Everyone has their own vocal sandbox in which they can play. With training, experience, and confidence, that sandbox gets bigger. I hope Roger stretches himself as an actor and takes risks to better show off the different toys in his sandbox.
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see another "local" on the board Roger! I'm a relative noob myself so I usually leave the critiques to the vets... BUT here are a few first impressions.
Hard sell is not your thing. You've got more of a folksy, down to earth delivery which is great. You don't have to have every conceivable delivery in your demo but you do need to mix it up a bit and work on some of the production issues.

As far as giving yourself only "one calendar year to make it or not"... I'd give it more time. I've often heard 2 years to establish yourself is a good rule of thumb. Slow and steady wins the race. Wink
iladelf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffreyKafer wrote:
Everyone has their own vocal sandbox in which they can play.

And Jeffrey, to me you have it exactly right. Never really thought of the "vocal sandbox" idea, but that is spot-on.

And something I believe I will take with me the rest of the time I do this stuff, which will be the rest of my life. Quite eye-opening. Maybe that should be the new name of your website!

Cheers to you, Jeffrey! As I'm having a beer on this Friday night at my favorite establishment, I'll hoist one to you. Smile

And I like what tackerman said about setting a time limit on your "making it". Just go for it! Look at it this way; what if that "big break" was coming, but you pulled your website down just before that big talent agent was to call you after hearing your previous stuff online, and had the perfect gig for ya? (And my, was THAT a long sentence!) Forget the nos, don't take 'em personal, and keep on truckin'.
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd like to hear some killer range, go to www.jeffreykafer.com, because he's got it. Hard to believe sometimes that it's the same voice throughout, and I'm not talking characters. I do love the little battles that emerge from time to time here; one never knows what to expect when slinging something up on the Critique section!!

Roger, your demo is a good start. I think your trying various reads and ranges is great and in doing so, you'll find the comfort zone somewhere between the staid public broadcasting flavuh-less and the SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! (Poor Sunday, always gets bashed. We don't have those ads here since everything is absolutely shuttered on Sunday. SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY! doesn't quite have the same ring, does it??!)
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
roger
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to one and all for frank, yet gentle, critiques and words of encouragement. Don't all of you send your bills at one time. Seriously, I'm honored to be in the presence of pros who are willing to share their knowledge and experience. By the way, when do I get my official "hugging Don LaFontaine" picture?
-Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: