VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CD Label and Insert - whaddya think?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: CD Label and Insert - whaddya think? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

If you like, let me know what you think of my CD Label and Insert!!! I'm almost done -- here are some things to note re: changes yet to make:

INSERT: The statement in the bubble will have quotes around it b/c it's a quote.

I'm not going to have any bold words separated by lines or hyphens at the end of lines. That said, "girl-next-door" will be dropped down to the next line and the spacing/leading adjusted so that that para looks good. Same with "Telos Zephyr XStream" -- that will be dropped down to the next line.

For the description, I also tried putting each adjective into little talking bubbles, but it just didn't look right.

LABEL: It's missing the marks where the hole in the center of the CD will be, as well as the edges of the CD. So some things might seem a little tight (and maybe they are) but it looks different to me when the marks are there.

The big chick on the label is pixelated. However, if you print it out, it's not as bad. The designer apparently can't fix it. And, once printed, I think it's ok.

http://www.onlinefilefolder.com/index.php?action=getshare&type=0&user_num=35678&share_id=135001&hash=b9f60399883e060714bc03d262d7b566

http://www.onlinefilefolder.com/index.php?action=getshare&type=0&user_num=35678&share_id=135002&hash=d87d3f51522bedd07defd4412e2142dd

My concern is that perhaps I'm pigeon-holing myself with my description. On the other hand, it is what I am. I can do "wife" but it's rare I'm selected for "wife" -- so I'm not using words like "mature".... know what I mean? Is mentioning MTV, VH-1, etc. not a good idea?

THANK YOU to all who take the time to look at this. I truly appreciate it!!!

Caryn

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. I have a problem with associations like " on MTV, VH1" especially if the person concerned has never worked for the stations. The impression it gives people is "I'm not good enough to stand on my own two feet so I must associate myself with someone or something that is good enough". Organic and wholesome should be followed by "and full of meaty goodness" only. How do you sound? The person listening will decide, they need no help from you. Studio equipment - no one who makes a buying decision really needs to know.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caryn, it looks good to me. And I don't think you need any description beyond "The Hip Chick Voice". If that's you, that's enough. Once you start adding words, you dilute, and invite your audience to forget, that memorable phrase.
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... those are all very good points!!! Thank you! So you think nothing on the inside front cover then?

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caryn— listen to Philip and Mary. They're spot-on.

Here's your CD in format.

BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have established your logo on the front and the back of the CD case....for the sake of removing redundancy, perhaps you could have the close-up version of the chick on your CD have the sunglasses slid down and winking one eye at us? I think it would add even more fun to what you already have as well as mix it up a little.

Just a thought. I agree with the over describing yourself thing. Let the listener decide. Your branding is already guiding them to "young and cool". Most people only need a few guide words to clue them in, if any, and then let them guess and be right about who you are. Or even a pleasant surprise when you go above what they expected Laugh

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just chime in and 2nd (3rd or 4th) the description thing. I read it and wondered what the heck an "Organic" voice sounds like. Does that mean you don't use pesticides in your fertilizer?
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Organic" is a big buzz word in entertainment these days... meaning fresh. Not "fresh" as in smart alec Wink but "fresh" as in "new sound".

Thanks for the tips, one and all!!! I'm going to eliminate the inside of the cover.

THANKS!!!!

louzucaro
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like to echo that I think it's very nice, straightforward, eye-catching and, yeah, you could probably drop a few words here and there, but that's more of a preference thing than a right/wrong thing imo.

Nicely done!

"Well, yeah, there's my favorite leaf!"
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lou! I couldn't have done it without you guys! Seeing your stuff helped a lot.

I dropped the text on the inside cover. I totally agree that I should just say, "The Hip Chick Voice" and leave it at that. Enough said!

Thanks everyone!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: