VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SourceConnect Discussion —New Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will be a SC user soon... I got a demo yesterday from the New Zealand woman responsible for the plug-in. She came to Holland to demonstrate. She also lanched a seconday plugin providing talkback facilities through SC as well as upcoming video feedback. Some sort of webcam interaction, so you can see your people in the remote booth, as well as viewing quicktime files from the remote desktop.

I'm kinda considering moving to the Island of Curaçao (Netherlands Antilles) for a year, and I want to take my Pro Tools HD rig with me. For the bigger jobs, I can just hop on a plane and fly back to Holland, but for the rest if they need it FAST they can direct me.

Purchasing all this stuff is relatively cheap now since the US$ has never been weaker against our EURO currency than ever before. in 2001 the euro currency was introduced. Then 1$ cost € 1,09. Nowadays € 1 = $1,36...

Could you tell me more about your experiences with SC ?
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edo,

I've been very happy with Source Connect. I've directed sessions for other talent, recording on my end. And before I got my ISDN service installed, I also did session work through a bridge from Source Connect.

While I've had a few times when the line dropped, re-connected was literally a matter of seconds. And I've had ISDN service drop during a session, too; so nothing's perfect.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jasbart
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had S-C for about 3 months. I've done 5-6 sessions with it, all of them technically flawless, except for the long delay...longer than a typical ISDN session. The receiving studios have all been very positive about the quality. Much better than ISDN.

The possible drawbacks of S-C are when the voice talent's on the road. Setting up the router for port forwarding isn't terribly difficult, but talking a hotel IT person into allowing voice talent to fiddle with the hotel's router setup might be asking a bit much. We'll see.

Jim
Edo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys!

I feel I HAVE to do something, because the main Dutch telecomfacilities provider KPN (as well as the leading German sistercompany) have announced the end of the ISDN era in Western Europe soon. In 2009 they will terminate all ISDN services. In fact, that means terminating ISDN-services for like a population of close to 90 million people living in Germany and the Benelux countries (Belgium, Netherlands and Luxemburg). In reaction, just about every audio studio or post production facility on this side of the Atlantic is trying to get rid of conventional codecs. Seems all codec-like means of use will be connections over IP over here soon.

HINT: if you need a cheap conventional codec (like Telos Zephyr, Prodys Pronto, CDQ Prima and alike) and you can still use it for a number of years in the US, Europe is the place to find really good deals soon I guess!

But... since the majority of broadcasters and recording studio's are using AVID and Digidesign tools, I'd like to be up and running. Also the first bridging service came into operation just last month, so something is finally happening. Working over great distances sort of never was that neccesary... we only measure like half the state of Maine so we're never more than a 2.5 hour's drive apart anyway. I do stuff for like over a hundred local and regional community stations, as well as for national broadcasters, but I've yet to hear of the FIRST one to start using SC.

If they do, I wanna be there...

All reviews, insights, and experiences shared highly appreciated!
I'm all ears this time Wink
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: About to enter Source-Connect-Land Reply with quote

Just got off the phone with Rebecca @ Source-Elements - very friendly!
(She's ready to help me install!)
Just called my local Guitar Center....off to pick up my I-Lock...and I'll be installing in the next couple of days!
Bob & Donovan: be ready for a call from me to test!!!
YAY!
(Yeah...I'm excited....can ya tell!)

Liz
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried to use this in other audio programs besides Pro Tools? I know it's supposed to be supported in Audition. Anyone try it?
davidmonteath
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know an American V/o in the UK who uses it with Audition 2, he says it works fine.

Sponsor of Voice APpreciation Indulgence Day 2010

Proud member of Self Appointed Voice-Over Experts Discussion Group - overenthusiastic pontification a speciality.
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the i-Lock!
I plan on using mine with Sony Vegas
I'll let you know how it works once I have it up & running.

L.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz,

I'll be very happy to help you. Just give me a call when you're ready and we'll fire things up and, before you know it, be connected.

Jeffrey, Russ McLamb is using Source Connect with Nuendo, I think. Donovan is using it with Audition 2.0. That's 2 for sure.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not supported with the intel Macs unless you are using Pro Tools. The VST version will only work with PC and non-Intel Macs right now, I believe.

Just letting you know. It should be supported soon though, per their site.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...the latest!

Apparently the Source-Connect plug-in doesn't work with Vegas 5 (which is what I have of course!). You have to have at least Vegas 6 which supports VST plug-ins.
BUT:
The desktop stand alone version of SC ,which you can download as part of the plug-in purchase, is just that - a stand-alone product - and does work.

Basically for what I want to use it for: connecting to an ISDN or Source Connect equipped studio which will be recording my voice on THEIR end, that's all I need.

I also found out that it's better to be actually plugged into your modem physically via a cable as opposed to wirelessly, which is what I have now. There is some audio quality loss going over the air wirelessly as opposed to via a cable. Although Mac over @ Source Elements was suprised at the high quality he was getting even through my wireless connnection.

So my next step: getting my stuidio "hardwired!"...time to run some cable!

Ideally, I would just liike to just run a cable from my router (in the computer hutch by the living room) to my laptop which is usually set up in what is my studio (our guest bedroom on the other side of the house)...running it under my house....but I seem to recall that there is a limit as to the length of cable one should not exceed so as not to lose data (and in this case AUDIO) quality....ANYONE know what that max cable length is?

I have to say that Mac over at SC was AWESOME. He was really patient & friendly and walked me through the whole process.

Bob (Souer) I will probably be calling you nextweek sometime to test, OK?!

That's the latest from here!

Liz
Any answers on cable length would be appreciated! Smile
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Audacity, of all programs, supports VST plugins. Wouldn't that be cool if SC worked with it?
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizden wrote:
but I seem to recall that there is a limit as to the length of cable one should not exceed so as not to lose data (and in this case AUDIO) quality....ANYONE know what that max cable length is?

Actually, at that point it is no longer audio as it's been broken down into the little bits of ones and zeros by the time it's gotten into your laptop so don't worry about that part.

I'm sure there is a limit on how far you can run Cat 5 (the computer network cable) but unless you live in a really really gigantic size house I doubt you will need to worry about it.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart wrote:
but unless you live in a really really gigantic size house I doubt you will need to worry about it.

She's a successful voice-over artist. Of course she lives in a mansion. Don't you?
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.. yeah. <ahem> of course I do. Embarrassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: