VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microphones, room noise and other stuff
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart wrote:
And why does radio use the RE20? Because it sounds decent? I'd say that's a fringe benefit to the 2 real reasons.

I'm going to take this to the next level.

1) Durable in the radio environment, which isn't known for it's genteel nature. I've got a pic somewhere of Disney folks using a few to hammer nails during a rebuild. Gasp

2) Lack of proximity effect and good polar pattern over a polar coordinate plane, which made it desirable for radio since many of the guests on talk shows, and the DJs themselves did not know proper mic technique and would quite literally "eat" the mic.

3) It's ability to stand out in the mix despite the excessive compression and processing which radio stations routinely subject their recordings to.

It doesn't stand out of a crowd in terms of performance or clarity when compared to LDCs, but in terms of reliability and durability, it's relatively idiot proof, hence it's legendary status.

The only warning label I offer with the RE-20 and RE-27 (originally designed as a replacement, but ended up being the "younger brother" to the RE-20; different element among other things gives it a different sound) is one I offer to new talent. Do not be taken in by this mic. It sounds good on most everyone, hence it's use in so many VO courses. However, it is easy to forget good microphone technique because of it's affinity to resist proximity effect and it's pattern pickup when compared to other cardoid patterns.

That's just my $0.02 though and shouldn't be used as a detractor (at least not for me, I have both models sitting in the mic locker).

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I won't burst bubbles, but after using every form of broadcast microphone imaginable (and some you can't imagine) I am finding more and more engineers and the ones that make the final tech decisions are going to the Heil PR-40.
When I was told that, I adamantly refused to believe it--until I used one.
It really does have the sensitivity of a large condenser mic (but it's a dynamic) and is nearly bullet-proof.
The reason you haven't seen it at your local station yet is probably due to that ruggedness of the RE-20. They just don’t wear out.
In my experience, the Heil is already EQ'd for the spoken voice. Most RE-20s will require some sort of equalization to sound "just right."
If you haven't tried it, don't argue with me until you do. I too was very skeptical.
That's one in my avatar.
Willie

Last edited by Jowillie on Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard great things about them as well. Leo Laporte uses the Heil PR-40 on his KFI syndicated "tech" show every week. I'm glad to hear another review. I swear, it still looks like you should be speaking into the side of it and not the top. <g>

It's funny to me that I could buy a $2000 mic and when I send theVO to the radio station the production folks add a high filter in places that makes me sound like I'm on the phone. LOL Then the Optimod gets hold of it on the way to the Yaggi shooting the signal to the transmitter site.

Smile
kkisscool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaraEdwards wrote:

I always hear about the U87- but for me, when I use it at a local studio...I'm not in love. Just goes to show everyone has different tastes!

I agree with u kara , i don't like the U87 , plus the U 87 ai isnt' a good mic for Female voice i prefer the MKH 416 on female voices it fits very well the girl's voices
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumbled upon this thread while searching for microphone info, and then subsequently stumbled upon a podcast where they did comparison recordings with several of the microphones mentioned here. Very interesting and informative to hear the differences, although I hear a voice in my head (one of many) reminding me, "That's how they sound with someone else's voice." Smile
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCM- I think it's great you worked out such a good deal on the ISDN, and it's so convenient, too. A nice, cost-effective approach, for sure. Let us know sometime where you end up as far as the mic.
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBarrett wrote:
SVery interesting and informative to hear the differences, although I hear a voice in my head (one of many) reminding me, "That's how they sound with someone else's voice." Smile

There's the kicker.

A good example is with the U87AI. Kara and a few others don't like them because of how they sound with their voice. One of my "go-to" mics is the U87AI because of how it brings out my voice in the mids and keeps presence through post-processing.

Different brushes. That's how I view this stuff...

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: